DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Transmitter Tray and Sun Visor Solution

Ty Pilot

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Having been in RC prior to drones I've always liked the comfort and feel of a transmitter tray. Transmitters for RC are heavier and larger than most DJI consumer drone controllers as well has having a lot more channels and functions than what we're used to on these drones. Operating multiple functions sometimes required the use of a hand, leaving only one hand to hold and support the controller. In addition, holding the controller in one's grasps reduces the the precision with which we can control the sticks.

When I first got my Mavic 2 Pro, I was surprised by the size of the standard controller but understood that the smaller size and weight would alleviate some of the problems of larger controllers. Still, these small DJI controllers (in operation), have many of the same drawbacks. So I set about to make a Tray that would 'kill' several birds with one stone so to speak, namely -
  • A tray that holds the controller in a useable position, even while hands-free
  • Has the ability to add or remove a sun visor, but one that still allowed access to the 'Home' button of the Phone
  • Will allow putting the tray down while keeping the phone and controller off the ground as well as standing up vertically
  • Can even be mounted on a tripod, to have a ground station type setup
  • And - requires ZERO mods or tools to install.
So here is what I came up with, the tray is CNC made from 2mm Carbon Fiber Sheet

MeTray.jpg

Tray2.jpg

Tray3.jpg

Tray4.jpg

Tray5.jpgTray6.jpg

Tray7.jpg

Tray1.jpg

Last edited:
That is a slick set up Ty.
I like the carbon fiber covering👍

That is a slick set up Ty.
I like the carbon fiber covering👍
Thanks SeaPig :) but it's not a covering, it's actually real carbon fiber sheet, I probably could have used a standard G10 composite but the parts were so small that the difference was not so bad

Thanks SeaPig :) but it's not a covering, it's actually real carbon fiber sheet, I probably could have used a standard G10 composite but the parts were so small that the difference was not so bad
Wonderful. I have never worked with materials like that before. It looks like some pretty neat stuff though.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Here are a few photos of the controller used as a ground station. Simply had the head piece from any tripod and it will mount right up.

Tray8.jpg

Tray9.jpg

Tray10.jpg

Reactions: bcfd29
I remember the trays foe the old Yuneec Typhoon. Do you still have yours? I had 3, 2 crashed thenYuneec did a disappearing act. Gone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne