DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air no 5.8g option only 2.4g

Kierchaps

Reactions
So the mavic air just landed and was setting up to find that there is no option to select 5.8g on the dji go app. Have tried this on my Samsung tab and iPhone x both with the otg cable plugged in. I live in the UK and would appreciate anyone's advice.

Last edited:
Spoke to dji and they said that it was the mobile device. Can't be as I'm using both android and apple! Could it be a UK thing?

Spoke to dji and they said that it was the mobile device. Can't be as I'm using both android and apple! Could it be a UK thing?
The only solutions I am seeing online is to delete and reinstall the app.

You change it by changing the channel you use. if you go into the wifi settings in the app, it will by default choose what it thinks is the best signal, since 2.4 is generally more powerful, it will usually default to that. However, if you choose "custom" and scroll down to "Channel Index" you can chose different channels, and depending on the one you chose, will choose 5.8 or 2.4. see screenshots

Notice it says 2.4Ghz
IMG_2258.jpg

Its becuase the channel is 2, which is a 2.4Ghz Channel
IMG_2257.jpg

if I change it to 165, which is a 5.8Ghz Channel
IMG_2259.jpg

It flips to 5.8Ghz
IMG_2260.jpg

You change it by changing the channel you use. if you go into the wifi settings in the app, it will by default choose what it thinks is the best signal, since 2.4 is generally more powerful, it will usually default to that. However, if you choose "custom" and scroll down to "Channel Index" you can chose different channels, and depending on the one you chose, will choose 5.8 or 2.4. see screenshots

Notice it says 2.4Ghz
View attachment 30024

Its becuase the channel is 2, which is a 2.4Ghz Channel
View attachment 30023

if I change it to 165, which is a 5.8Ghz Channel
View attachment 30025

It flips to 5.8Ghz
View attachment 30026

Thank you for reply. My understanding from the dji blurb that 5.8 offers the greatest range and being a spark owner this is a big deal. I live in the UK which is like a giant wifi hotspot. Would you recommend leaving it in auto and just enjoy the thing?

Thank you for reply. My understanding from the dji blurb that 5.8 offers the greatest range and being a spark owner this is a big deal. I live in the UK which is like a giant wifi hotspot. Would you recommend leaving it in auto and just enjoy the thing?

dont know yet? I haven't actually flown my Air yet, just got it last night. I plan on doing some range tests and performance vs the mavic pro this afternoon (PST), by tomorrow morning ill have that what my tests show.
But speaking about the bands in general, 2.4Ghz is supposed to be more powerful for range, its why your home wifi will lose 5.8 before 2.4, but the 2.4Ghz range is smaller than the 5.8Ghz range. So im thinking that they say the 5.8Ghz range is better because of the less congestion and more channel choices.
Wifi range and channel choice sure wasn't something I thought I would ever have to contend with again after having phantoms and mavic pro...

dont know yet? I haven't actually flown my Air yet, just got it last night. I plan on doing some range tests and performance vs the mavic pro this afternoon (PST), by tomorrow morning ill have that what my tests show.
But speaking about the bands in general, 2.4Ghz is supposed to be more powerful for range, its why your home wifi will lose 5.8 before 2.4, but the 2.4Ghz range is smaller than the 5.8Ghz range. So im thinking that they say the 5.8Ghz range is better because of the less congestion and more channel choices.
Wifi range and channel choice sure wasn't something I thought I would ever have to contend with again after having phantoms and mavic pro...

Likewise. Maiden flight soon. Will be interesting to see if switching has a marked difference. Will keep you in loop

Uninstall did not work for me at first (IOS IPhone X). What I did was grab a old Android phone and fired up the DJI GO APP. What popped up is a message "You are flying in a different Country changing setting" (not exact verbage). I reconnected my IPhone and 5.8 option was there.

I am having horrible range results with my new Mavic Air, I can't go further than 200 meters. Can't switch to 5.8ghz either, not even manually. I tried iPhone and Android phone, both the same problem. I am wondering if they sent me a defected Mavic Air, because 200m should not happen, not even in the most congested areas.

Reactions: Samphotom
I flew my New Red Mavic Air yesterday. It went great. No Wi-Fi interference warning that I get when I’m flying my spark in the same area. I did get a gimbal overload error once but restarted it.

Really? I also see this on mine and I am swiss,.. a bit disappointing from the 2-4km the advertise....
Well your country is ce regulations...fcc us will get the 2.5 miles/4 km says it in dji website specs for mavic air shows the lower dbm for ce and srrc also

I'm in Thailand and the 100+ channels are not even displayed in the channel list. Only those with 2.4ghz. What the heck is that? The range is pathetic, few hundred meters.
I can't see an answer here to the problem yet. Anyone enlighten me please? It's super frustrating, the drone is nothing but a selfie drone for now but that kind I could get for the fraction of the price

I'm in Thailand and the 100+ channels are not even displayed in the channel list. Only those with 2.4ghz. What the heck is that? The range is pathetic, few hundred meters.
I can't see an answer here to the problem yet. Anyone enlighten me please? It's super frustrating, the drone is nothing but a selfie drone for now but that kind I could get for the fraction of the price
Then just do the FCC hack...done.... I know you shouldn't have to do that but it's super easy to do and range will be like it is in the US. Maybe before buying you should have researched it a little better on what Thailand's restrictions were

Reactions: ChrisW81
I was getting a lot of interference, so I tried setting a high number channel that forced it to 5.8 and have had no problems since.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580