DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air no 5.8g option only 2.4g

Update the DJI App and try again. The new release should fix the region issue and get you full power, although it hasn't for one person.

Otherwise, connect an Android device once.

I cannot take this anymore! I had this issue around the time this thread was alive. There was a DJI Go4 app update which resolved it. Now, I'm on another phone (was on iPhone 6S now on iPhone 7 Plus). I had not experienced any issues thus far with the new setup, until just last week where again: I'm stuck in 5.8 ghz and do not have any method of changed to 2.4. I dont think this is a drone issue, i think this is a software issue. Repeatedly restoring the firmware on the drone isn't going to magically have an effect on DJIGO4. Unless I'm wrong, but I think this could be a conflict in the iPhone 7S update with Go4 update, I'm really not sure, but this is making me crazy. I love it when it's working as normal, but I'm ready to sell it and leave DJI or just go back to the Mavic Pro.

Thoughts anyone? I'm waiting for DJI support hours to begin so I can give them a call.

I had the issue where only 2.4 was available and only channels up to 10.
It was resolved either with an app update or by taking the drone to China, from Canada. It now works in Canada with all the WiFi channels.

Just tried this on my old iPhone with older app version, iPad, reinstalled on current phone, 5.8 ghz only. thats it. If this isn't resolved by the end of the week I'm selling it and either going Autel or back to Mavic Pro. This isn't worth the aggravation, the whole point of getting the Air was to travel easier than I did with the Pro. The last thing i need is for this to happen on a trip. Not. a. happy. camper.

Just tried this on my old iPhone with older app version, iPad, reinstalled on current phone, 5.8 ghz only. thats it. If this isn't resolved by the end of the week I'm selling it and either going Autel or back to Mavic Pro. This isn't worth the aggravation, the whole point of getting the Air was to travel easier than I did with the Pro. The last thing i need is for this to happen on a trip. Not. a. happy. camper.

It’s very annoying, and DJI email support is TERRIBLE! They keep sending you canned emails about updating the app. Not reading your message.

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it but here it is. In the cellular world and RF in general, all things being equal 5GHz typically does does not perform as well as 2.4GHz if the power is the same. It’s the same as the comparison between 800MHz and 1900MHz in the cellular world. The higher the frequency the less is penetrates things. It also has different characteristics when refracting so we try to keep things on 2.4GHz when possible. Channels are or can be wider in 5.8 WiFi so that just makes everything worse as well possibly raising the noise floor around your channel.

There is so much we don’t know about how DJI designs these systems that only real world testing in each specific area and times will tell you anything useful. They may optimize things for 5GHz for all we know. Have a dual frequency system is all about compromise. Who knows how they deal with these things.

Personally, I have bad luck with 5.8 in my hobby fun flying. Same goes when I’m flying at work, but I’m usually in close proximity to cell towers because that’s why we are there, to do a tower inspection. Doing UAS tower inspections all day everyday we operate in the worst possible environment sometimes closer than 30 feet from antennas. Depending on the cell carrier/carriers on each tower we can usually get by without problems but occasionally we will get knocked off air. Sometimes switching to 5.8 allows us to continue operating but the screen is usually choppy and pixelated. We switch back to 2.4 once we are done with that site.

BTW, thanks for answering the question about how to switch frequency bands on the Mavic Air. I swear the other DJI stuff has a selection in the menu?

Thanks

It's threads like this that confirm I made the right choice when I decided to buy the Pro over the Air. If range is important, then I don't think the air should even be considered. The MP1 is only a little bit more cost wise now.

I had the same issue (2.4g channels only) and an iPhone user. I fixed without the need for an Android by going to Location Services, selecting DJI Go app and changing from 'Whilst Using' to 'Always Allow' and now can select between 2.4 and 5g channels.

The same on android J7, what can I do to change it to 5.8? i just getting 1-13 channel of 2.4 how to open it to 5.8 Mhz ?

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851