DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air noise, no big deal. RANGE, kind of a big deal...

HBJLR714

Reactions
So, after flying my MA yesterday morning, I went for a bike ride along the coast and not to my surprise noticed an M2P flying around the bike path (it was a beautiful day on Huntington Beach yesterday). I noticed the sound of the M2P was a little lower in pitch than my MA in a normal everyday conditions outside at the beach, but it could still be heard and it's presence noticeable overhead. Idk, after that little experience I'm not so sure about the concerns of the loudness of the MA. RANGE, on the other hand is whole 'nother story. Lol. I'm thinking about getting my controller mod'ed. 1250ft max distance isn't cutting it for me anymore.

True, but I fly out over the ocean and like to follow the surfers. 1000ft barely gets me as far out as they are and leaves me about 200ft of wiggle room before I start to get picture break up :/

True, but I fly out over the ocean and like to follow the surfers. 1000ft barely gets me as far out as they are and leaves me about 200ft of wiggle room before I start to get picture break up :/
I regularly fly 2km+ out over the ocean so the MA is capable of a lot more than 1000ft.

No doubt the MA is rated to go farther than 1000ft. Where I live and regularly fly is in an urban southern beach city with lots of houses and mega hotels. Tons of interference. When I get to around 1250ft, is when picture break up and signal loss starts to occur.

No doubt the MA is rated to go farther than 1000ft. Where I live and regularly fly is in an urban southern beach city with lots of houses and mega hotels. Tons of interference. When I get to around 1250ft, is when picture break up and signal loss starts to occur.
Presumably you've tried channel surfing on both frequencies/spectrum?

I bouhgt an Autel Evo with the 4Hawks Raptor XR. The increase in range is crazy. I don't need it for my purposes but the thing went 2.79 miles out over water and came back. At that point, battery capacity is more of an issue then the transmission range. I am sure even the smaller SR antenna would do just fine.

I think it really depends on the environment. I got the 4Hawkes SR extender, and I noticed a HUGE difference in certain places (rural) and varied results in urban areas...BUT definitely an improvement. It just depends on how much interference there is in that area....

I set my distance 2,500
So, after flying my MA yesterday morning, I went for a bike ride along the coast and not to my surprise noticed an M2P flying around the bike path (it was a beautiful day on Huntington Beach yesterday). I noticed the sound of the M2P was a little lower in pitch than my MA in a normal everyday conditions outside at the beach, but it could still be heard and it's presence noticeable overhead. Idk, after that little experience I'm not so sure about the concerns of the loudness of the MA. RANGE, on the other hand is whole 'nother story. Lol. I'm thinking about getting my controller mod'ed. 1250ft max distance isn't cutting it for me anymore.
I set my distance 2,500 ft and have had no issues. Also my altitude is set to 500ft, but have never had it over 350.

The county I'm living in at the moment has regularly scheduled blackouts. Flying the Air during those times is great since there's almost zero interference.

I do have to wait to charge my batteries afterwards though. :eek:

Where I live - heavy urban + high rise, I find 5.8Ghz gives better range and response. So I have these "Ant-Cool 5.8G" aftermarket antennas. They are slightly more directional but gives me even more range. I'd say on areas where I have problem to fly 1.3km on stock antenna, I can go to perhaps 1.8km with the new antennas. At places with low interference such as open waters, I can get at best 2.3-2.5km on stock antennas. I'm on FCC. If you want range then there are modification options. And do check out 5.8Ghz.

There’s a quick screenshot of one of my coastal flights. Didn’t have a problem at 1100m ...
6CB386CB-7BCF-42EA-BDB8-2CAC337EE74B.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique