DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air not executing Precision Landing

Cherokee180C

Reactions
I just got my first DJI drone and I am loving the Mavic air so far. I am having no luck at all though getting the precision landing to work. I am using the auto take off function from the screen while checking the precision landing box on the on screen prompt. The drone is going up to about 12 to 15 feet and then locking in a hover and I am waiting up to 12 seconds longer before taking off into the flight. I am initiating return to home on the controller end it goes to the prescribed height then comes home, but only lands with the normal GPS accuracy which seems to be about 10 to 15 feet. Most times it was off by five or 6 feet. It does not appear to be adjusting at all on the way down based on any precision landing photograph. In fact the strange part is the distance measurement on the screen will say it is off by 6 feet, but it seems happy to come straight down even with that error. I have seen with the Mavic Pro it needs to go up 30 feet on take off and I think the pro uses the main camera to shoot the picture. I was using a green landing mat with a white H in the middle which is on a 2’x3’ piece of brown plywood on top of very green grass, so I would think the contrast would be very easy to see in full daylight. Any advice on procedure to use to make it work every time? Oh yea, I have every avoidance option on as a beginner, but the beginner mode is off.

Hi.
I’m new to drone flying and will receive my Mavic 2 this week.
Having done all my research and recently spending hours on You Tube re launch of Mavic 2, it appears that it DOES NOT have Precision Landing.

Turn it off altogether, it's pointless, learn to fly back manually and hand catch. It's very easy to do.

I'm having the same issue with my recently purchased Mavic Air. I use a blue or orange landing pad and its landed on it 1 time out of about 30 flights.

It doesn't seem any better with Percision RTH than Regular RTH.

I've kind of given up one it, but will hit the RTH button to get it close to the landing point, but cancel before it actually lands and manually land it

If I do let it RTH on it's own, the display will show it being x feet away from its start point, but it doesn't care and sets it down any how.

I'm having the same issue with my recently purchased Mavic Air. I use a blue or orange landing pad and its landed on it 1 time out of about 30 flights.

It doesn't seem any better with Percision RTH than Regular RTH.

I've kind of given up one it, but will hit the RTH button to get it close to the landing point, but cancel before it actually lands and manually land it

If I do let it RTH on it's own, the display will show it being x feet away from its start point, but it doesn't care and sets it down any how.
How high are you going when you take off? The recommended alt is 10m straight up so that it captures a good image for RTH to be accurate.

Hmmm. My Air does ok. This was a week or so ago, RTH after setting precision landing and auto takeoff. I flew around for 10 minutes or so and hit RTH about 1000 ft out and probably a couple hundred feet up. You can see my RC on the table next to me. Didn’t touch a thing.

Reactions: InvisibleName
How high are you going when you take off? The recommended alt is 10m straight up so that it captures a good image for RTH to be accurate.
Not sure... whatever the software takes it up to on precision landing take off mode. Then let it hover until it says the home point has been updated then fly off. Next opportunity I get to fly (rain the next couple of days) I'll verify I go up to 10m/33ft AGL before flying off. See what happens

Not sure... whatever the software takes it up to on precision landing take off mode. Then let it hover until it says the home point has been updated then fly off. Next opportunity I get to fly (rain the next couple of days) I'll verify I go up to 10m/33ft AGL before flying off. See what happens

My experience also. I just let it do its thing until I get the home point notification and then go fly.

Reactions: BearMan54
Just got a break on the clouds. Did a precision launch (found out sotfare onluly goes to 16 ft) and put it up to 33ft before flying off. Went up to 300ft and about 100ft out took some pictures and then returned to home. It did much better. Made the landing pasld and just off center a bit.

Thanks for the assistance
9848c64af1136d4c06b415afae16ef70.jpg
85dc439dfb9e52b62f139c829725a3b1.jpg
4cead5a1e8df9dd3c152b69f62cd0f9b.jpg
0184975b9d17ae41d46fbe8162eca1df.jpg

I found the tip about the 10m / 33ft from a video I saw a while ago; the accuracy improvement is quite dramatic!

How I do it:
01. Start the motors directly with the controller (not with the app)
02. Go to 10m.
03. Wait there some 4-5 seconds.

And is OK. I usually do this very rarely. I prefer to land in my hand.

I’ve only used RTH a few times, just to test that it actually worked, usually with excellent results (see attached).IMG_7175.JPG

I found that if you take off manually and slowly rise up to 32’ the RTH Landing is way more accurate . Give it a try and let us know if it works for you . It does work on my buddy’s air that he has . [emoji41]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661