DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air or wait for Mavic Pro 2....

Take your air out to some new areas away from the interference and enjoy it
I will do that, but for those instances when I only have a short period of time to fly and I do it close to home will the the upgrade provide a better connection and wind handling?

Last edited:
I would definitely keep current on all fw upgrades on go4, drone, controller, and batteries. There were some early reports of range issues that were resolved with updates. To upgrade each battery you pop in a different battery and run the upgrade again. Upgrade your assistant software too just in case you need it later. I upgrade via the go4 app without issues.

I just got my Mavic a couple of weeks ago and then saw the new Mavic Air being pushed. To begin with, I was annoyed that I had missed a new model, but now after reading and watching a lot of reviews, I'm glad I went with the Mavic. The Air is a good device, yes but in real terms, the battery is only good for 15 minutes flight time. That's close to half of the Mavic flight time and a big deal for me.
If the Mavic II, is as good as the leaks are making out, I don't think the Air will be much more than an improved Spark. For me personally, the full size sensor in the camera is the exciting news for Mavic II.
For now, I'm more than happy with my Mavic.
You made the right choice. The MP is tried and tested and dji simply knocked it out of the park with this product. It's the Piper Cub of drones. It exceeded all my expectations. I've owned mine for a year.

Reactions: Jake 61
The Mavic Air is looking very interesting after all the reviews out, I still waiting for the Mavic PRO II but I had the feeling its price is going to be very close to the P4P and the size will be bigger than the MP I.

I just found this listing. A new Platinum Pro Fly More for 899 plus another 10% off for first time buyers and free shipping. How can they possibly sell at this price? The only difference I noticed is it only shows 2 batteries. Almost too good to pass up.

I asked them how can they sell at this price and here is their answer:
Hi

This is new units.
We give low price for our grand opening our web

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 7.12.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 7.12.08 PM.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 94
I just found this listing. A new Platinum Pro Fly More for 899 plus another 10% off for first time buyers and free shipping. How can they possibly sell at this price? The only difference I noticed is it only shows 2 batteries. Almost too good to pass up.

I asked them how can they sell at this price and here is their answer:
Hi

This is new units.
We give low price for our grand opening our web

I can't find either Tictail or the seller Wilo Drones on the DJI site as an authorized seller. It might be legit, but might not be. Good luck and make sure you use a credit card that offers strong protection!

Reactions: Springerdog1
I can't find either Tictail or the seller Wilo Drones on the DJI site as an authorized seller. It might be legit, but might not be. Good luck and make sure you use a credit card that offers strong protection!
I just sent them a message letting them know they are not listed. It will be interesting to see what they say. I would buy through PayPal. If they give a reasonable answer between my Chase Black Visa and Pay Pal it should be safe if their answer checks out with DJI.

They sent me back this message.
Hi

We dropship the drone with big supplier.
We works and get connection with big supplier

I asked him who the supplier is. We'll see if he answers. Sounds a bit iffy at the moment.

They sent me back this message.
Hi

We dropship the drone with big supplier.
We works and get connection with big supplier

I asked him who the supplier is. We'll see if he answers. Sounds a bit iffy at the moment.
Well you could take the chance that's entirely up to you just make sure you use PayPal or a very good credit card!.... if they don't take Paypal that should be your first clue not to do it

I for one believe that MP2 will target a purely professional group that don’t care about a rear sensor. A portable drone that give high image quality, period. Its great to have a inspire drone with a top notch zenmuse camera, but it sucks to carry it with you to a remote area. It also a let down to use a MP as a compromise, because the image quality is far from top notch and you risk that the client disapprove. If you want the client to approve, than you have to use a great tool. The Air is not supposed to fill that gap… Far from it, even though the image quality can be good enough. The MP2 on the other hand may.. and I guess it will cost $ doing so.

being able to fly backwards with an aid is rather valuable for the pro group..so that rear sensor is pretty darn important
I also asked them if the Pro Platinum would handle the wind better and was told you shouldn't fly either in any wind. Being new to this hobby I am in search of the best drone for my needs. So what are the true answers on the existing Pro's having a better connection than the Air and it's ability to handle the wind? If I have educated answers from more people I'll be able to decide if an existing Pro Platinum or Mavic 2 would be worth me forking out additional funds for.

MP can't handle ~20kph headwind in standard GPS mode, hitting RTH did nothing, I had to nurse it back in sport mode at full throttle and boy was that not fun.

I won't risk foldable quads again in significant wind scenarios...they're simply too small

Last edited:
I think if you're asking the question honestly, you definitely should at least wait. I mean, there's an absolute certainty that it's both going to cost more and be larger than the Mavic Air, so if neither of those things would make you choose the Air over the Pro 2, then you should definitely wait. DJI has perfected their marketing skills, and like Apple, they know what to add and what to leave off of a particular device to make it both irresistible and disappointing. What I mean by that is that every Apple product has that special something(s) that makes it irresistible, but at the same thing, they leave something very desirable for an upgraded model. In this way, they are masters of maximizing a potential customer's purchasing power and leveraging that insatiable desire to have something better.

DJI too are masters of this. The Air has several special features that make it irresistible: it has a very portable form factor with a higher end camera and the latest artificial intelligence that DJI improves in every generation. However, it also lacks the best transmission technology, doesn't have the highest end camera technology, and has mediocre battery life. Every DJI product has a series of trade-offs, but for me personally, the Air has just the right balance. Is there a part of me that lusts after the upcoming Pro 2? Sure, but then I know it's going to cost a good deal more and be a fair amount bigger. The extra flying time, better range, and upgraded camera are very irresistible, but the Air has just enough to make me content at this point in time.

Maybe I'll sell the Air and get the Pro 2, but it won't be that much longer before something even better comes out. Many of us need to learn how to manage expectations and be content with what we decide to purchase. You can easily drive yourself crazy wishing you had bought a better model OR regretting spending as much as you did on a model you should not have gotten based on your purchasing power or other considerations.

My first DJI product was the Phantom 3 Standard, and I bought it refurbished at a good price. And while I certainly longed for better range, obstacle avoidance, and some other missing features, I learned to love that baby and it was a great UAV to learn how to fly on with minimal risk. The Air is a breath of fresh air for me and I am really enjoying it!

Reactions: ddesens and philh24
View attachment 30311

That and it’s cool as heck!!! I’ve owned everything but a Phantom and I truly don’t know why the Air was bashed before people even tried it. I think they allowed all of the non Air owners with negative comments persuade them. Out the box my air traveled further than my Inspire 2 without signal loss in a highly congested area. It’s truly an amazing tool. I use my Mavic more than I use my Inspire and I went with the Air as a back up to my MPro. The Air is an extremely capable drone and I couldn’t be more happy with the purchase. View attachment 30312
I agree mate my Air is more then a match for my P3A and P4 non pro......and as yet I've YET to see any range differences to ocusync....I'm getting zero lag at 15000 feet and in a built up area it matches the video range strength of ocusync......lots of MP owners out there I think who are annoyed this smaller drone is better then theirs lol
....was gonna buy the MPP glad I didn't .....18mins flight time ....more then enough

I agree mate my Air is more then a match for my P3A and P4 non pro......and as yet I've YET to see any range differences to ocusync....I'm getting zero lag at 15000 feet and in a built up area it matches the video range strength of ocusync......lots of MP owners out there I think who are annoyed this smaller drone is better then theirs lol
....was gonna buy the MPP glad I didn't .....18mins flight time ....more then enough
Whoa!!! Awesome! When did you purchase your air? 15000 ft is very impressive, I wonder did they did a slight modification from the Airs on sale at launch. I'm getting 600-800 meters in the suburbs before transmission loss, which I'm happy with but no where near your distance.

Whoa!!! Awesome! When did you purchase your air? 15000 ft is very impressive, I wonder did they did a slight modification from the Airs on sale at launch. I'm getting 600-800 meters in the suburbs before transmission loss, which I'm happy with but no where near your distance.
That was across fields with FCC mode ...it was CE as I'm in UK but I changed it ....only mod is a windsurfer antenna mod but people are getting over 15000 feet un modded .
In suburbs I'm still getting full signals at 3000 feet but Il try further to see what I get

Reactions: thongbong
That was across fields with FCC mode ...it was CE as I'm in UK but I changed it ....only mod is a windsurfer antenna mod but people are getting over 15000 feet un modded .
In suburbs I'm still getting full signals at 3000 feet but Il try further to see what I get
Yeah, I also sold my MP and bought the MA. I'm completely happy also.

Reactions: zwt100
Yeah, I also sold my MP and bought the MA. I'm completely happy also.
Ok just tried a longer flight from my back garden into the town 2.2 miles away.i live in a small valley roughly 150 feet below a treeline and the town.
Took it up to 400 feet (legal limit) and flew it 5500 feet into town to a spot I've hovered above before (a 4 story cinema) and still had full signals and camera control...
My phantom 3 advanced started to cut out above same roof and did an auto return home!!!??? And my Phantom 4 wasn't much better.....this little phone sized drone amazes me daily ....remember I've forced it into FCC mode using GPS trick so maybe CE mode is poor I don't know cos this was in FCC mode before its first flight and it will staying in it lol.
Enhanced WiFi.........depending on the invironment as good as ocusync for what I'm witnessing.
PS....
That was with the £5 windsurfer antenna mod fitted........£5......

Reactions: zwt100
being able to fly backwards with an aid is rather valuable for the pro group..so that rear sensor is pretty darn important

I can definitely see usage of a back sensor. That’s not my point though. If you look at the DJI business model, there always some trade of on every product. From rumours there seem to be no back sensor on the upcoming MP2. I believe many professionals prefer portability and top notch IQ rather than back sensor when it comes to MP2. I actually hope they leave out a back sensor.. Because that means they will focus on other features, like maybe IQ? Beside… They have given us the Mavic Air for that kind of run and gun shooting. The Air is perfect for action photography that gives good enough IQ for a broadcast television show. But we need something in the zenmuse league, portable. I hope that's the MP2.

As much as I would love to see a The Pro 2 have a better sensor I would almost rather see a second version of the CrystalSky come out that is capable of running third party app like litchi and is more streamlined for better portability than current.

I had the same dilemma for a couple of months and said screw with it then went with the MA. Remember, as all the good guys on here pointed out, mavic 2 will lack some things that MA has ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian