DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air or wait for Mavic Pro 2....

Thing is, alike regular camera's, the best drone is the one you have with you. We're months further now. Anyone who still hasn't purchased either the MP or MA in anticipation of the MP2 has missed months of opportunity to shoot footage. The holidays are coming up, and if the MP2 still hasn't released by then, is it still worth it to hold off these amazing shoots of that incredible landscape you're in?
When the MP2 releases, I'll give it a few weeks before a "Mavic Pro 2 or wait for <insert upcoming drone here>?" topic arises somewhere. This technology is going so fast, you'll never buy anything if you always want to wait for the latest quad.
Just buy one, and perhaps sell it if it turns out something a lot better and more fitting for you releases a few months after. The footage you'll take in the meantime is worth the loss of value when selling it.

Ever since the rumors went from the 20MP 1" Sony EXMOR RS sensor to a 12MP 1/1.7" sensor, my interest in the MP 2 dropped dramatically and I bought the Air. I am thinking I will end up with both the Air and a Phantom 4 Pro 2.0 - just wish the Phantom was a little more portable. Phantom 5 rumors are heating up as well, but one can't wait forever haha.

If I change my mind I am not worried about being able to sell the Air, and in the meantime I have got months of awesome footage from the Air.

Reactions: MarceloLi
I went ahead and bought the Air as that I got tired of waiting for the second edition of the pro. It will now probably come out now that I went ahead and bit the bullet per say. But I must say that I'm impressed with the air for what it is. Very stable and it's fun to fly.

I went ahead and bought the Air as that I got tired of waiting for the second edition of the pro. It will now probably come out now that I went ahead and bit the bullet per say. But I must say that I'm impressed with the air for what it is. Very stable and it's fun to fly.
I actually almost had that with the Pro. After weeks of deciding whether to take the Spark or Pro I decided to purchase the Pro. Still though I wished for something that would be in the middle of those two. On the very day I added the Pro in my shopping cart I was ready to check out until suddenly the Air got announced. I decided to cancel the order and to wait for the independent reviews of the Air. It turned out to be the drone I was looking for in the first place.

Had it been announced a few days later I guess I'd have still kept the Pro or either switched to an Air later on. Same thing happened with the P3S that I have. I got it, and rather quickly decided I wanted something more compact. But that didn't hold me back from shooting these amazing shots meanwhile, which I'd never have been able to make, had I waited for the perfect drone to arrive.

Attachments

• PR01.jpg
    PR01.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 58
  • PR02.jpg
    PR02.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 54
I actually almost had that with the Pro. After weeks of deciding whether to take the Spark or Pro I decided to purchase the Pro. Still though I wished for something that would be in the middle of those two. On the very day I added the Pro in my shopping cart I was ready to check out until suddenly the Air got announced. I decided to cancel the order and to wait for the independent reviews of the Air. It turned out to be the drone I was looking for in the first place.

Had it been announced a few days later I guess I'd have still kept the Pro or either switched to an Air later on. Same thing happened with the P3S that I have. I got it, and rather quickly decided I wanted something more compact. But that didn't hold me back from shooting these amazing shots meanwhile, which I'd never have been able to make, had I waited for the perfect drone to arrive.

You know the funny thing is as we get older I think we get more impatient. I've been waiting for them to announce a 2nd edition of the Mavic for some time but I guess that I got too impatient and got the air. I'm not disappointed at all though. To my surprise the little guy is fun to fly and does most of what I want it to do. I just wish I could get out more right now to fly it but between the house needing some repairs and weather it's hard to. I just hope they wait a little while longer before announcing a new Mavic or I'll have a really hard time explaining to my wife that I need another drone.

Reactions: MrRobville
I just hope they wait a little while longer before announcing a new Mavic or I'll have a really hard time explaining to my wife that I need another drone.
Just say it always looked like that, and "oh! taxes came in today." ;)

... I was about to buy a Mavic Air, but waited until the Waypoints were included in the SDK then Litchi.
As it was very long and I wanted to train, I invested in a tiny whoop, then a intermediate race quad, then a frsky radio command... and I found it real fun... up to the point that I’ll wait for the Mavic Pro 2.
If it launches soon and at a reasonable price, I’ll buy it... if not, I’ll go on with race drones, less expensive hobby and can fly in my garden.
I was afraid of the fly off many stories heard here with the sophisticated WiFi noisy Mavic Air (but I would enjoy the small form factor that won’t be present in Mavic pro 2, ...and in France very soon, drones over 800g will require specific authorizations).
Hey... how about a small Mavic Air 2 less noisy with a consistent radio transmission ?...

Last edited:
... I was about to buy a Mavic Air, but waited until the Waypoints were included in the SDK then Litchi.
As it was very long and I wanted to train, I invested in a tiny whoop, then a intermediate race quad, then a frsky radio command... and I found it real fun... up to the point that I’ll wait for the Mavic Pro 2.
If it launches soon and at a reasonable price, I’ll buy it... if not, I’ll go on with race drones, less expensive hobby and can fly in my garden.
I was afraid of the fly off many stories heard here with the sophisticated WiFi noisy Mavic Air (but I would enjoy the small form factor that won’t be present in Mavic pro 2, ...and in France very soon, drones over 800g will require specific authorizations).
Hey... how about a small Mavic Air 2 less noisy with a consistent radio transmission ?...

I’ve just seen what ‘could be’ a Mavic Air less noisy in July 2018... but it would be called a ‘Parrot Anafi’... I’ll go on waiting but I think I’m gonna go for this one that fits exactly my needs...

Last edited:
How big is the sensor on that EVO, lens seems big like maybe half of 1" or bigger ?? and yup this is good that Autel finally release this drone and I hope it will be real good because than we will get super beast from Mavic PRO 2 and we will get it this year - I'am sure that DJI have like 2 or 3 different unit ready for release and just waiting for competition to show what they have ( remember when Karma get out and it was wauuuu how small is it, what a drone, bravo GoPro and than like week after DJI release something from the future :)))) they just waited to see )

How big is the sensor on that EVO, lens seems big like maybe half of 1" or bigger ??

The sensor is the same as all the other entry level drones, 1/2.3" (I.e. very tiny).

Apparently they are considering adding additional options to mount larger sensor cameras on it but information seems to be extremely limited on that. The launch camera will use a 1/2.3" sensor like the Air and the Pro, so nothing special there.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4