DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air original still a viable option in 2021?

The MA1 has only one IMU and compass so no redundant back up where as the MP and MPP have redundant back ups...
MA1 have a dual IMU module ... it's two sets of sensor fusion algorithms based on two independent hardware platforms. When an error occurs to one set of algorithms, the craft will switch to the other pair seamlessly to resume normal functionality.

It only have one standard compass though ... but is equipped with a vision compass which simplified is a compass reading coming from the vision sensor on the belly (work as long ground is within reach of the sensor), in the DAT logs it's called VIOYaw.

The odd thing with all these redundancy HW ... It's rare to see a craft, weather it's a MA, MP or M2, recover after the message regarding redundancy switch comes up in the app ... usually the craft is lost anyway. Maybe that's why DJI went back to a single IMU starting with MA2.

But yeah ... respect your personal preference towards larger crafts, for me & possibly others, portability is a major factor as long as it doesn't affect how it flies & handle winds.

Enhanced WiFi is inferior to Occusync in general ... no doubt about that. Personally I haven't had any problems with it ... usually use 5,8GHz when flying around home in the suburbs, reach like 1,5km as long I keep the craft in LOS & it's more that, that limits the range. Out in the country side with 2,4GHz it's the battery that forces me to turn between 3,5-4km.

I purchased a used MA1 this year. Was flown twice. This is my entry level drone to flying. The obstacle avoidance was a big thing for me. Also had other features already mentioned here including gestures. I’m not using it for commercial gain but for fun and family/home footage and can’t wait for travel again! I got the fly more combo and have sourced Polar Pro ND and PL filters locally. I can see batteries will become an issue but I’m hoping by then I might upgrade.

Greetings

My first post here. I've been thinking about getting into a drone for some time, but before diving in, I'm hoping for some insights and advice. I've been looking at a number of different options, such as the offerings from Hubsan (Zino 2 Pro plus) Fimi (X8 SE 2020), a few other brands and the offerings from DJI. Importance of my consideration is:

Camera quality
Flyability
Apps & features
Durability
Support
Availability of consumables, such as props, battery etc.

My history with R/C started with ground based vehicles. Several years ago I pieced together a quadcopter from a DJI flame wheel. I picked the motors, props, ESC's, flight controller & battery. I have to calibrate and program everything up through my laptop, and got pretty good at flying it around, so I do have experience and stick time.

I really like the idea of a flying platform for video & stills. I've viewed a lot of Youtube reviews and footage on a good many drones, and DJI has always stood out. I like the obstacle avoidance feature offered in some of their models. In an ideal world I would just buy the Air 2 FMC and be done. However, even used it's priced too far out of my budget. The apps offer a great deal of automation, but I know manual input will be necessary as well. In consideration of the Hubsan & Fimi (and other) models, is the original Mavic Air still a good option now in August 2021? I know there are the Mini models, but I'm looking for something with OA and better stability in wind.

Thanks in advance for any insights :)
Welcome Craig,
If you can get an MA1 or a similar performance drone plus a number batteries from someone who looked after the batteries
Then you get a great drone with a key advantage being Its relatively powerful
NB: Price would want to be right as batteries for the MA1 are becoming scarce and the MA1 forum has now got a fair bit of focus on battery refurbishment.

MA1 is my first drone and I read the Crashes and Flyaway's forum cover to cover in order to develop a good practice that combats the avoidable errors - including not understanding the limits of the automations like OA
(I did skip the Mavic mini repost where drone was blown away in high wind and lost - dozens of them)
I think you're right about the mini

So I follow the rules and to date the only way I have been given a scare is strong wind change
Its managed by a fresh battery, planning to take off into the wind and come home with it, not ignoring any high wind warnings and just like an aeroplane have an eye on a spot where you could land it now then go get it

So, if I need to bring the drone back immediately
I use return to home for a few seconds (RTH button) to point it in the right direction toward me
Lower the height a bit if I know I can safely
Then use sport mode to 'gun' the drone toward me - checking for correct direction/progress on the map
Every time to my relief that drone is zipping over my head in a minute or two because of its power against the wind
I land it and its a bit of a thrill to get it back - grateful for the power its got

If you enjoy a good read and learning about how things work in detail and using things well
Drones are ace and this forum and the people in it are a plug for the Mavic brand

Thanks all, but I found a used Fimi X8 SE 2020 for a good price. I am enjoying flying and filming, and still wishing I hit the lottery so I can buy a DJI.

I just picked up a used MA1 and love it. Compared to my MINI2 it's a mean machine! So fun to fly and looking forward to more action with the GRE's!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4006448
Well, it was fun while it lasted, but I guess I'm not meant to own a drone. I was flying over Taylors Falls state park between Minnesota & Wisconsin when I saw the dreaded tree branch appear in the camera feed. I tried to fly up, but no go. I was on one side of the river, and the drone indicator showed it came down on the other side. I drover over, hiked around to the spot, but found nothing.
Two odd things - While I still had camera feed, I swear I saw someone pick it up. While I was hunting around on the WI side, I got a hit on the locator near where I had taken off from, which is at a boat launch site. I though maybe someone had turned it in, but no luck.
So I'm out $375 and beyond sad.

Well, it was fun while it lasted, but I guess I'm not meant to own a drone. I was flying over Taylors Falls state park between Minnesota & Wisconsin when I saw the dreaded tree branch appear in the camera feed. I tried to fly up, but no go. I was on one side of the river, and the drone indicator showed it came down on the other side. I drover over, hiked around to the spot, but found nothing.
Two odd things - While I still had camera feed, I swear I saw someone pick it up. While I was hunting around on the WI side, I got a hit on the locator near where I had taken off from, which is at a boat launch site. I though maybe someone had turned it in, but no luck.
So I'm out $375 and beyond sad.
Sorry to hear that.

The MA1 has only one IMU and compass so no redundant back up where as the MP and MPP have redundant back ups. Never in my history keeping up with DJI products were there ever so many problems reported with the IMU and compass system than with the MA1. I personally witnessed a brand new MA1 fall out of the sky about 200 feet to the ground and maybe that’s a small sample size issue but it made an impression on me.

Also the WiFi connection with the drone is terrible. Having connection issues has to the single most frustrating thing with flying a drone and can easily turn something fun into a chore.

For me the MA1 is too small. It feels like flying a toy…

I think it’s telling that the airframe of the Mavic Air was thrown away after the first generation. Really the Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum, Mavic 2, Mavic Air 2, and Mavic Air 2s are all built on the same basic airframe design as the original Mavic Pro because it was so good. Yes they have made upgrades to the gimbal since the original and the Mavic 2 is slightly larger but they stuck with the design that worked.

Those are just my observations and experience with it. Take it for what it’s worth,

The reason the ditched the air frame is because it was to expensive to produce. every other Mavic since imo feels flimsy, one other thing is the gimbal is completely protected by the drone housing so when I see broken gimbals hanging after an incident I take comfort in the fact the air 1 is the only drone that protects its number 1 asset the CAMREA!!

Still flying mine happily. A great drone for travel. Video is fine for most purposes. Use P4adv for high end video and photography if needed, which is rare.

I love my Air 1 - been great to me. My primary concern is accessing batteries should any of mine fail. Don't get to fly enough yet, but Shiftwork can do that to you.
It's worth mentioning that these drones are known for their IMU failures, mostly because they have packed the drone away for several months without use, apparently the silicone grease used inside the module can dry out resulting in IMU failure, and good luck finding a replacement 🤣 their is a backyard fix that has a 80% success rate

I love my Air 1 as well: it's compact, elegant and powerful.
It survived a crush but it still gives me lots of joy!
:cool:

Reactions: 4006448
It's worth mentioning that these drones are known for their IMU failures, mostly because they have packed the drone away for several months without use, apparently the silicone grease used inside the module can dry out resulting in IMU failure, and good luck finding a replacement 🤣 their is a backyard fix that has a 80% success rate
I donk know about silicone grease. The crashes and fly-aways forum mentions that The IMU relies upon 3x accelerometer's, one each in the X, Y and Z plane. Each "MEMS" device outputs a voltage in proportion to the acceleration experienced. They can internally stick after a period of storage so they stop measuring acceleration. Some people after a crash have been able to find out which mems sensor was stuck X,Y or Z. Then rap on the drone with a screwdriver handle in the same plane as the stuck MEMs device to unstick the sensor. Forever worrying about it happening again I guess

I donk know about silicone grease. The crashes and fly-aways forum mentions that The IMU relies upon 3x accelerometer's, one each in the X, Y and Z plane. Each "MEMS" device outputs a voltage in proportion to the acceleration experienced. They can internally stick after a period of storage so they stop measuring acceleration. Some people after a crash have been able to find out which mems sensor was stuck X,Y or Z. Then rap on the drone with a screwdriver handle in the same plane as the stuck MEMs device to unstick the sensor. Forever worrying about it happening again I guess
Precisely and silicone grease is the lubricant those accelerometer's use.
The IMU is essentially a micro engineered mechanical device, it's not electronic as most would think. the IMU components don't move in terms of the naked eye but at a micro level they move and sense inertia.

Precisely and silicone grease is the lubricant those accelerometer's use.
The IMU is essentially a micro engineered mechanical device, it's not electronic as most would think. the IMU components don't move in terms of the naked eye but at a micro level they move and sense inertia.
I had a look, and you might be referring to silicon plates?
"The construction of a single MEMS accelerometer uses stationary silicon plates and mechanical springs that respond to external forces"

Interesting how the article title is 'Apply sensor fusion...'
I think DJI call the software running on the drone 'Fusion' ?

... Apply sensor fusion...'
I think DJI call the software running on the drone 'Fusion' ?
Think you misunderstands what sensor fusion is...

Sensor fusion is a process... which combines sensor data or data derived from other sources such that the resulting information has less uncertainty.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada