DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Range

New CE mode European range video here. 1800m in 5.8ghz mode (which has lower output than 2.4ghz Tx in Europe). Encouraging. I'm going to get one. I'd never need more than 1km.

See fcc and srrc is very capable for 5.8 a few more dbm's then 2.4 its a big deal shoot srrc is wayy better in 5.8 then 2.4.....europe seems to be the only place u would really want the 2.4 band...anyway same thing with the p4p this is why I always get better range in 5.8

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180201-173040_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20180201-173040_Samsung Internet.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: Mcgon
I just ordered... what have I done... days of mulling all the pros and cons....the terrible android app, the wifi range, but all the positives too, the transportability & simplicity of bringing this on impromptu trips and holidays....Excited now.

Outstanding! If he had a tailwind he probably would have made it back.
He definitely had a strong tail wind heading out. Looks like he was averaging 40 or so mph in sport mode. As soon as he turned around the speed dropped by about half heading in to the wind. At that point he should have descended to a much lower altitude and attempted his return. He eventually does lower his altitude and gained almost 10mph in doing so. Can't really fault the pilot much considering all that was going through his head no doubt. I'm glad he was able to land in a somewhat safe location. Great video. Great lesson to learn.

Reactions: KevinPritchett
He definitely had a strong tail wind heading out. Looks like he was averaging 40 or so mph in sport mode.
Seems like the mavic air is limited to aproxamently 42 mph with a tail wind ..
Imo that's what caused the pilot from estimating how much wind was up there and how that would effect the speed coming back..
With most dji aircraft they will gain mph with a tail wind..
You always want to fly into the wind on a blos flight..
Good thing he had signal while landing ..
Thanks for sharing. .....

Reactions: KevinPritchett
Mike lost his.....but found it.

He mentions to always use the USB and never the WIFI connection...Hmm;)

And why do people choose to fly over large bodies of water for a range test?

Last edited:
My guess is they think it's safer atleast that's what I thought until I had a guy in a small plane dive bomb the lake I fly at..
Since then I expect to see helicopters and and thrill seakers when I fly over water including rivers..
Perhaps a licenced pilot can fill us in on the actual law ,but I think they can fly as low as they want over water.

Are you in Australia? What altitude did you go out at and what freq was it on?

Impressive range
Took off at about 50m and gradually worked up to 120m,was on 2.4. yes in the Brisbane valley area in Qld

May not be relevant here on this post, but here goes!.
The problem where I live in Norwich, Norfolk,UK, that ALL the traffic lights ,pedestrian crossings are ALL linked via WiFi, with transmitters/ receivers fitted to each set of lights, and no doubt other areas of the Uk are the same.
This I am sure would cause me, and many others who are flying in the suburbs, or, within our Local parks areas, Extreme interference, that together with all the Mobile Phone masts that our local council seem to dump onto any piece of roadside they see fit to put one!.
Just my 5 pence worth !.
I would buy a Mavic Air, but not without some form of proof that these systems would not affect its range!.
Why the heck have DJI gone backwards in time to the Old Phantom 2 Vision technology is beyond me !!.
So if anyone is looking for a cheap flat panel antenna,
WE GOT PLENTY ROUND HERE TO HAVE !!!!.
(Just bring a step ladder and a spanner with you !)

Last edited:
He mentions to always use the USB and never the WIFI connection...Hmm;)

I flew over water for a range test because there was absolutely no radio interference at all. I took my MP and I2 out at a beach and both went further than I’ve ever recorded over land. I exceeded DJI’s range specs with both and they were not boosted at the time. I had to comeback home because of battery and not radio connectivity.

I have a Mavic Pro. Since i knew mavic air specs, i already knew i'll have to wait for mavic pro II , if i wanted to upgrade it

Mavic air it's not any kind of upgrade of mavic pro, so there's nothing to compete with.

"Perhaps a licenced pilot can fill us in on the actual law ,but I think they can fly as low as they want over water."

That would be correct but it's not smart in a real plane either. Millerton Lake? I used to live in Fresno.

This guy did 30 miles the length of Lake Tahoe. I live and fly here and I own the same plane but you won't see me trying that one LOL.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Well we should find out within the next few days. DJI has begun shipping them today.
I live in Southern California and WiFi basically barely works. Maybe get 100-200 yards max distance. The WiFi connectivity is a deal breaker for purchasing the Air. Battery capacity is weak too. The Air is really a selfie drone with some new technology.

I have a Mavic Pro. Since i knew mavic air specs, i already knew i'll have to wait for mavic pro II , if i wanted to upgrade it

Mavic air it's not any kind of upgrade of mavic pro, so there's nothing to compete with.

With respect, can I please shatter your narrative with fact:

[deep breath]

• 100mbit/s at 4K
  • 120fps at 1080p
  • Better image processor
  • Rear obstacle avoidance
  • Faster top speed
  • Massively reduced size and weight for carrying
  • Built in HDR Mode
  • Built in 8GB of storage
  • Less imposing (subjective)
  • Better looking (subjective)

I'm not the only one who thinks so, if you have a spare half an hour read this. Now if you said, "Mavic air isn't enough of an upgrade to change my Pro for" or "Mavic air upgrades aren't of relevance to my needs, I desire more range and flight time" or "these are not the upgrades I was looking for [casual Star Wars ref]" then I'd have no problem and this post wouldn't exits. But don't lie to yourself and don't make it worse by sharing that factually bias and incorrect view publicly.

I'm getting 90-95% the distance with my Mavic air as I do with my P3P and its lightbridge.

I don't see any issues with the distance the air can travel.... for line of sight legality of course.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
I live in Southern California and WiFi basically barely works. Maybe get 100-200 yards max distance. The WiFi connectivity is a deal breaker for purchasing the Air. Battery capacity is weak too. The Air is really a selfie drone with some new technology.

And the Pro is an overly large drone that exists in a no mans land between portable (too big) and professional (crap camera that is beaten by Air and hosed on by P4P). It essentially has no purpose or place and sales figures of Air vs Pro will reflect that shortly*.

*personal conjecture.

I’ve been flying the Air for about a week now and if it’s a selfie drone that makes my Mavic Pro a selfie drone as well. The picture and video quality is on par with or better than the Mavic Pro and the radio range while in 5.8 is exceptional!!! Neither compare to my Inspire 2 as it relates to image quality but that doesn’t make them selfie drones. Both are extremely capable flying cameras and have their own characteristics that I like. The little Mavic Air is holding it’s on against my Mavic Pro in every category except for range. My Mpro is boosted so it’s ridiculous in that area. Is it better than the Mavic Pro? In my opinion no. But it is definitely giving it a run for the money and I wouldn’t hesitate to take it with me instead of the Mpro. With that being said the MP2 should be ridiculous and much better than both.

I’ve been flying the Air for about a week now and if it’s a selfie drone that makes my Mavic Pro a selfie drone as well. The picture and video quality is on par with or better than the Mavic Pro and the radio range while in 5.8 is exceptional!!! Neither compare to my Inspire 2 as it relates to image quality but that doesn’t make them selfie drones. Both are extremely capable flying cameras and have their own characteristics that I like. The little Mavic Air is holding it’s on against my Mavic Pro in every category except for range. My Mpro is boosted so it’s ridiculous in that area. Is it better than the Mavic Pro? In my opinion no. But it is definitely giving it a run for the money and I wouldn’t hesitate to take it with me instead of the Mpro. With that being said the MP2 should be ridiculous and much better than both.

MP2 should also be at a higher price tag as well. I suspect they will still carry the MPP along side the MP2. The MP2 will most likely be 1299 drone only and 1399 fly more combo.

MP2 should also be at a higher price tag as well. I suspect they will still carry the MPP along side the MP2. The MP2 will most likely be 1299 drone only and 1399 fly more combo.

I agree with you 100%! The MP2 is going to be a revolutionary game changer if it’s better than the Air and MP. I would not have sticker shock or be surprised if it had a fly more package priced at $1399. The Air is so good, my eager anticipation for the MP2 is even higher! The Air makes my Mavic feel a little dated when flying back to back. If the MP2’s performance is anywhere close to the Air and MP, DJI has failed. I truly believe it’s going to be awesome. The Inspire 2 was a huge step up from the Inspire 1 and I’m expecting the same to happen for the M2.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer