DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Range

I never fly more than 1 mile out with my Pro, that’s plenty far enough for me. That’s why I’m fine with the Mavic Air. I’m trying to get great video, not trying to break distance records. If it struggled at 300 meters, then I’d be upset, but if it gets 1 mile easily, I’m fine. My first drone was a Yuneec Typhoon Q500, and I think the max is 600 meters (less than 2000 feet). And I loved that drone, still have it and it’s a blast to fly.

I still occasionally fly my Q500 and love how stable and quiet it is compared to DJI quads.

I exceeded DJI’s range specs with both and they were not boosted at the time. I had to comeback home because of battery and not radio connectivity.
I think that is what people don't realize. I've been testing the range of the Air and several times I've turned back around 2 miles because I'm around 50% battery. Granted, when testing I fly upwind and I usually find that I get back in plenty of time because of the tail wind but in real life use, a person is usually not always flying upwind. So I'd say, yes... range is limited on boosted wifi but the shorter flight time of the Air makes it almost a non issue.

"Perhaps a licenced pilot can fill us in on the actual law ,but I think they can fly as low as they want over water."

That would be correct but it's not smart in a real plane either. Millerton Lake? I used to live in Fresno.

This guy did 30 miles the length of Lake Tahoe. I live and fly here and I own the same plane but you won't see me trying that one LOL.
Excellent Video! I wouldn't
"Perhaps a licenced pilot can fill us in on the actual law ,but I think they can fly as low as they want over water."

That would be correct but it's not smart in a real plane either. Millerton Lake? I used to live in Fresno.

This guy did 30 miles the length of Lake Tahoe. I live and fly here and I own the same plane but you won't see me trying that one LOL.
I was a licensed pilot, until I failed my annual flight physical. But, will check on the rules and regs. Right or Wrong, this was a dam cool video! However he had several other planes flying with him, I am sure he got permission or checked already the rules and regs, but I pretty sure he can do this.

I agree with your statement I would've 100% paid $100 more for ocusync, but then again every one of us i guess will have a different view/needs on how she or he will be using their drone.

I had the mavic since day one, i bought it as SOON as it became available, i traveled with it, used it MILLIONS of times but i never once remember where i flew it past 1 km to take pictures or videos... After the coolness wore off when i first got it i remember wishing the drone was smaller (again based on the way i myself use it).

I was so close in buying the spark during the holidays while keeping my mavic, but then after extensive research i found the range was an issue (for my needs)

Then i hear about the air announcement.. I sold my mavic right away, thinking I'll either grab the air or worst case scenario ill be drone less until mp2 comes out and ill just buy that instead.

But after reading reviews and seeing couple of range videos for the air, i think it fits my needs PERFECTLY (i personally wont need more than 500m in cities/congested areas) .. it might not work for some i understand, but trust me there are many people that the air will EXCEED their needs and desires

I agree with your comment on range and needs. You mention selling your Mavic. Do you mind sharing the best way to sell a drone. I am moving from my well cared for P3A as I move to the smaller Mavic Air.

I agree with your comment on range and needs. You mention selling your Mavic. Do you mind sharing the best way to sell a drone. I am moving from my well cared for P3A as I move to the smaller Mavic Air.

I sold my 2.5 year old P3P on eBay. Paid for 1/2 of the Air FMP. [emoji846]

I flew my Air just under 2.5km away today - pretty scary letting it that far out of sight (I mean, of course, I had a spotter looking at it at all times...). I don't think any perceived shorter range than the MP is going to bother me, all considered!

WiFi feed had some minor hiccups a few hundred metres out, but surprisingly at the max range the feed was all good. Didn't lose signal at any point.

Reactions: turbodronepilot

I sold my Inspire 1 on EBay... it sold in 30 minutes and was a flawless transaction.

Sold it on Kijiji (ln Canada) wouldn't think any popular classifieds would be different.

My air will be delivered Monday :)

Wi-fi range was one concern for me. I got my Air yesterday and in an urban area with lots of buildings easily got to 800m. Didn't really tested the range, but it could've gone further. what I love about it is the size. It is amazing!

Reactions: turbodronepilot
My guess is they think it's safer atleast that's what I thought until I had a guy in a small plane dive bomb the lake I fly at..
Since then I expect to see helicopters and and thrill seakers when I fly over water including rivers..
Perhaps a licenced pilot can fill us in on the actual law ,but I think they can fly as low as they want over water.

Correct, without special FAA permission planes are required to keep 500 feet AGL while helicopters are not limited (as they fly under the Golden Gate Bridge doing tourist flights).

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...re/media/FAA_Guide_to_Low-Flying_Aircraft.pdf

Happy trails and skyways, Michael

Why the heck have DJI gone backwards in time to the Old Phantom 2 Vision technology is beyond me !!.

According to one article I read, the author posed this question to a DJI rep. He was told that the Occusync requires more space and generates more heat, both of which posed issues for a drone of this size at this time. If that's really the case, then it might be a couple years before we see a DJI drone the size of the Air with Occusync.

It is strange to me for people to be worried about the range being "only 1km".
Prior to DJI we drone makers/flyers would never have considered sending out our drones over a distance anywhere near 1km.
RTH has had a really negative impact in my view. The idea that you can fly anywhere, for as far as you want, and expect the drone to come back to you, does the community a disservice. Flyers no longer feel as if they have any responsibility.

The Mavic Air is superb and the fact that it's range is limited to what you should be adhering to anyway, by law and common sense (LOS etc), should not result in condemnation.

Did you ever try to capture the landscape of a desert or alps glaciers? You’d be surprised how quick you run out of 4km...only flying the drone when traveling and want to capture more of the place I’m in, that as a landscape photographer I’m limited to the tripod.

I find the MP amazingly small and way easier to travel than Phantoms (I had every single version till MP came along, from the Stonehenge times when you had to solder immersionRC transmitters on the motherboard). The drones are fabulous for landscape, I can fly full manual if I need to, don’t get me wrong, but from flying point of view they’re boring (flying RC planes), getting only 1km is limited, yes, in ancient times if I had to be legal I couldn’t fly more than 250m with video signal, but just because we got used to having longer range doesn’t mean I have to be ok with shrinked ranges. Else let me buy an original iPhone, is still far better than the old keyboard phones right?!

On Sunday I flew my Mavic Air in a park in an urban area, got 1,171 meters of range before I had to bring it back due to non drone related issues. Captura de pantalla 2018-02-07 a la(s) 22.29.20.png

Shall I understand for Europe I should expect only 1km max distance? Bummer, I’m thinking to cancel the order and keep the MP...

I'm in a CE area and so far I haven't been able to get over 500m without the video feed getting very laggy and some dropouts. Although bear in mind this is in an urban environment with ALOT of potential interference. I've yet to try in an open environment. It is still not ideal though. To me it's not so much that the range is limited in that the drone will completely loose signal, it's more that anything beyond 400m and the feed is very choppy, which makes it very hard to line up your shots and determine if the gimbal movement is smooth. This is on 2.4, so maybe 5.8 will get less interference, however DJI quote only 500m in CE on 5.8, so the range will likely be a lot less.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13