DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Remote Controller

pvs

Reactions
I've been searching the internet for a spare remote controller for my new Mavic Air. I have found ones for the Spark and the Pro, but it seems that finding one for the Air is impossible.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy this piece by itself?

The reason I'm looking is because I MIGHT wish to try one of the range extenders that you need to modify the RC for. I'd rather do this mod to a second controller, so I still have the unadulterated one to fall back on.

Why is it seemingly impossible to find a way to replace the RC for the Air?

Thanks to anyone who has some ideas of where to look.

Keep an eye on ebay. You generally find them on there from time to time when people sell off parts as spares when they crash them

Reactions: pvs
Thanks, Rickolas, but I would really rather buy one new. I see a couple here in the classified section, too. But it disturbs me that even in the official DJI Store, they do not offer it.

The Air is not really a new offering any more. Why does DJI not make them available? Is the remote factory-set to only work with the aircraft it is sold with? And if this is the case, why does one need to "link" it with the AC?

Can anyone shed some light on if my concern is correct? Will the Mavic Air work with a controller from a different Mavic Air?

Yes you can mix controllers with no issue.

You'll probably need to contact a dealer.

Yes you can mix controllers with no issue.

You'll probably need to contact a dealer.
I'll check into that. This way, if there IS an issue, I will have some recourse.

I find it so strange that Pro and Spark controllers are available in so many places, but not for the Air.

Another reason to have an extra is because the RC does not have a removable battery. Thus, having two of them fully charged before leaving for an outing would give you that much more flight time. With only one RC, once it's battery dies, you're grounded until you can charge it back up.

Anyway, thank you for the input. I'll see what Best Buys says. Maybe there IS a way to get one.

For the Spark the controller is optional so it's kinda obvious it needs to be available separately.

For the Mavic Pro there are specific dual controller features (training and camera operator functionality) that warrant offering extra controllers separately.

The Air has the remote included and no dual controller possibility, so DJI probably didn't deem useful to make it a product to distribute through retail channels and only consider it as a spare part available to repair channels...

Thanks, Kilrah. Looking around on forums, I see I am not the first one requesting this. I find it strange that DJI resists supplying this part. I have found others whose units were destroyed, stolen, or lost, so there are more reasons for needing them than the ones I've brought up here.

At any rate, I did go over to eBay, and I see that somebody IS selling new ones with a 30 day return window. So I guess I'll need to go that route. This unavailability on DJI's own site, though, seems like a glaring oversight on their part. I absolutely LOVE the Air, and I can't wait to get more use and training from my own, but this "lack of support" seems strange.

-Paul

I have a second MA RC new in the box I will sell you. I sent you a PM with my personal email to work out details.

I bought a new replacement from ebay, at the time I looked there were a few people selling brand new controllers.

I bought a new replacement from ebay, at the time I looked there were a few people selling brand new controllers.
I gave 214skier a shot. He's supposed to ship it today. Fingers crossed.

This may be too late, but back in the Summer we managed to mulch the side port on our Mavic Air's RC in very short order.

There's a company up here in Canada called "Multirotorheli' with offices in Calgary and Toronto that handles the MA line, and if memory serves us well, we are pretty sure we acquired a second RC from them in no time at all.

CAD Dollar Rate also serves as enticement.

Check them out for availability if not too late. They do sell out, btw.

Rgds, NAVMAV

This may be too late, but back in the Summer we managed to mulch the side port on our Mavic Air's RC in very short order.

There's a company up here in Canada called "Multirotorheli' with offices in Calgary and Toronto that handles the MA line, and if memory serves us well, we are pretty sure we acquired a second RC from them in no time at all.

CAD Dollar Rate also serves as enticement.

Check them out for availability if not too late. They do sell out, btw.

Rgds, NAVMAV
Thank you for the offer, NAVMAV. But it looks like I'm covered, thanks to 214skier.

Again though, thank you for offering your experience. Much appreciated, especially if I screw something up and thus, need another.:rolleyes:

I'll check into that. This way, if there IS an issue, I will have some recourse.

I find it so strange that Pro and Spark controllers are available in so many places, but not for the Air.

Another reason to have an extra is because the RC does not have a removable battery. Thus, having two of them fully charged before leaving for an outing would give you that much more flight time. With only one RC, once it's battery dies, you're grounded until you can charge it back up.

Anyway, thank you for the input. I'll see what Best Buys says. Maybe there IS a way to get one.

Since there's 2 USB ports on the controller, you can charge it while you're flying, or fly with it connected to a power bank. With a decent size bank you could fly all day with the bank powering your controller and mobile device.

Since there's 2 USB ports on the controller, you can charge it while you're flying, or fly with it connected to a power bank. With a decent size bank you could fly all day with the bank powering your controller and mobile device.
Thank you, Bear. Yes, I have looked into Power Banks a few times, mostly when I was debating a portable generator for home use during power outages, and understanding that generators are not good for sensitive electronics. Indeed, I might still pick one up.

But my planned use for this second controller goes beyond just being a backup. I also plan on possibly using it with a 4Hawks range extender, and I don't want to modify/mess around with the only RC I have. I feel it's a good idea to have a second RC for several reasons (weakness of the micro-usb port, too), so I am happy 214skier was able to come through for me ... at a very reasonable price.:)

Again, I probably WILL pick up a Power Bank, at any rate, especially for local outages at home, and yes, it could be useful for my flying outings, too. But I am happy I found a second controller for my kit.

Thank you, Bear. Yes, I have looked into Power Banks a few times, mostly when I was debating a portable generator for home use during power outages, and understanding that generators are not good for sensitive electronics. Indeed, I might still pick one up.

But my planned use for this second controller goes beyond just being a backup. I also plan on possibly using it with a 4Hawks range extender, and I don't want to modify/mess around with the only RC I have. I feel it's a good idea to have a second RC for several reasons (weakness of the micro-usb port, too), so I am happy 214skier was able to come through for me ... at a very reasonable price.:)

Again, I probably WILL pick up a Power Bank, at any rate, especially for local outages at home, and yes, it could be useful for my flying outings, too. But I am happy I found a second controller for my kit.
That makes alot of sense! Keep us posted on the results of the range extender if you do it. So far I haven't been brave enough to venture out that far with mine... Still learning it tho, trying to get the hang of it without having to post one of those "I lost my drone" posts lol.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ