DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air seemingly flew away

Concrete sidewalks rarely have rebar in them I've been in construction for over 30 years and I've never seen rebar installed in a sidewalk

Reactions: ROBERTNCREST
sorry I'm new here, is the sidewalk thing a scientific issue with the compass or just an assumed opinion

is the sidewalk thing a scientific issue with the compass or just an assumed opinion
Magnetic metal causes interference when near the compass. It's a common issue since most concrete sidewalks contain rebar.

sorry I'm new here, is the sidewalk thing a scientific issue with the compass or just an assumed opinion

Magnetic interference from steel reinforcement in concrete has been observed and documented, and so to that extent it's not just an assumption. In relation to your previous comment, rebar or steel mesh is certainly used in some concrete sidewalks and driveways.

Not arguing you guys are the Masters, but mostly only commercial construction uses steel reinforcement, not all sidewalks have even steel mesh in them...
But I will heed your advice for sure.

not all sidewalks have even steel mesh in them
Right. And if you know you're flying from such a sidewalk, you can safely take off from it.

Not arguing you guys are the Masters, but mostly only commercial construction uses steel reinforcement, not all sidewalks have even steel mesh in them...

Right, but even steel mesh can lead to magnetic interference at close range.

...but lots have electrical cables running under them and so on which can also cause it.

I can tell you that I’ve never seen a more sevsitive aircraft to interference than the Mavic Air. I’ve owned P2, P3, P4, P4P, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Inspire 1, Inspire Pro and Inspire 2. I’ve taken off from buildings in an urban setting and not experienced what I have with the Mavic Air.

Reactions: 28mm
Isnt it very dangerous to fly to Mavic Air in such cities, where there is huge wireless interference already on 2.4Gz channels ?

DJI Assistant 2 v 1.1.2 (not the current version) with developer tools and debug mode enabled - a quick search will reveal how to do that. Then change "g_config_control_control_mode[1]" from 8 (Sport mode) to 3 (ATTI).

Can you elaborate on this a little?
Are you saying that the hiccup the drone was experiencing only existed in GPS MODE, and if he was able to switch to ATTI MODE that the problem would have stopped immediately and given him normal control back?

Does this only work if the drone is within a certain distance?

Can you program any button on the remote to switch the mode?

Is the only way to change a button to change modes with the DJI Assistant? I'm not sure how to install an older app version. (iOS)

What would happen if you accidentally switched modes at a farther distance?

Can you elaborate on this a little?
Are you saying that the hiccup the drone was experiencing only existed in GPS MODE, and if he was able to switch to ATTI MODE that the problem would have stopped immediately and given him normal control back?

The problem is due to the efforts of the FC to maintain position when its assumed yaw (heading) is not what it thinks it is. The resulting motion of the aircraft is then not what it expects. For example, if its yaw value is 180° off and it applies forward pitch, to the FC it appears to move backwards instead of forwards. Its response is then to try to apply more forwards pitch, and the result is uncontrolled flight in the opposite (backwards) direction. For slightly less obvious reasons, if the yaw value is 90° out, then the FC thinks the aircraft moves sideways in response to forward pitch, and applies roll to correct it. The result of that sequence of control inputs drives the aircraft it circles - the classic toilet bowl pattern.

Switching to ATTI stops the FC from trying to control position, and instead it just holds the aircraft level, which it can do without any knowledge of the real heading. The catch is that it will now drift with the wind and so requires active piloting to hold position or navigate.

Does this only work if the drone is within a certain distance?

No - but the aircraft may be harder to manually hold position and navigate without direct visual contact.

Can you program any button on the remote to switch the mode?

No - the choices are the two positions on the mode switch.

Is the only way to change a button to change modes with the DJI Assistant? I'm not sure how to install an older app version. (iOS)

Assistant is not an iOS app - it's a desktop application.

What would happen if you accidentally switched modes at a farther distance?

Exactly the same as if you switch modes at any other distance.

I am totally new to drone and after only one week I make the mistake of takeoff my Mavic Air at the same place you did ( without having consulting this forum before of course). It occurs this Tuesday ( July 26th 2018 ) at around 6:30pm

My drone left and became insane also. I thought it crash in the water but it seems it did around the construction area. I think this place in particular is dangerous for interférences but why then The Mavic Air is able to take off ...

Attachments

• 759818E7-48F1-4315-A9E5-BDE656D4CBF2.png
    759818E7-48F1-4315-A9E5-BDE656D4CBF2.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 8910BAEC-1B08-4053-B607-463F20A74A9A.png
    8910BAEC-1B08-4053-B607-463F20A74A9A.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 33F9CD0D-73C1-40CF-9388-D416529E62B9.png
    33F9CD0D-73C1-40CF-9388-D416529E62B9.png
    962.7 KB · Views: 25
Concrete sidewalks rarely have rebar in them I've been in construction for over 30 years and I've never seen rebar installed in a sidewalk

I've come across plenty of pavements worldwide that have rebar in. In addition to that they've got wiring ducts, metal piping and plenty of other things to screw up a compass.

30% ? do you have care refresh ?how old is it ?

seems like there dodging a bullet there if I were you I be fighting for this one buddy unless the gurus here spot something you seem to know what your doing and so I cant see you doing anything wrong ..

that high wind velocity pops up if a fly farts near my aircraft lately
it seems like that 'hi wind warning" is their ticket for a way out. its too bad tit cant be measured from the drone itself just a thought. best of luck to you ddublu

If the orientation of the drone doesn’t match the map, how do I correct it?

If the orientation of the drone doesn’t match the map, how do I correct it?
That’s an indication that the launch site is geoMagnetically distorted. The only way to correct this is to pick a different launch site.

That’s an indication that the launch site is geoMagnetically distorted. The only way to correct this is to pick a different launch site.

Thank you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost