DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air terrain following

sfox

Reactions
Ive had my air for just 4 days, It's my first, It really is a fantastic piece of kit. Is the Air able to follow terrain like the Mavic pro does?

The Mavic Air does not have the Terrain Follow flight mode.

If the Mavic Air will be flying close to the ground, you could enable APAS (via the icon on the left side of DJI GO) to allow the Mavic Air to automatically avoid obstacles (including the ground) while flying straight. Here are a few videos that show how APAS works:

Reactions: Jez275
It has follow me and it only follows uphill, not downhill which was posted above. DJI SHOULD have it on the Air since it has ground avoidance. I scratch my head why it's not the opposite function. It should be able to easily follow downhill without any avoidance features. Oh well, Litchi has it.

Reactions: galfridus
So if I use SmartCapture and descend, the Mavic Air will stay at a constant altitude (and thus be farther away as I go down)?

Edit: ninja'd, nvm.

correct and it's very annoying - absolutely no valid reason for DJI to do this

up: yes
down: no
(just like the Pro)
It is possible to overcome the NO in DJI Go. All you have to do is hold your left stick down when coming down the hill. The Mavics will descend as you fly down the hill (but only far enough to maintain the Terrain Follow altitude you started with.) I kind of like this as it gives you the option to maintain the altitude or follow the terrain down.

totally defeats the feature tho who wants to have to fly it while being followed

totally defeats the feature tho who wants to have to fly it while being followed
The "follow" in TerrainFollow is meant to be the drone following the terrain -- you are still directing it just not worrying about keeping a smooth rise as the terrain goes up (which is hard to do if you are too far away to gauge it correctly). You can supposedly combine this with ActiveTrack to have it do what you are referring to.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro