DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air took off to the right and scared me stupid.

Not that I see.
That's unfortunate. Sometimes .DAT files get created that don't follow the naming convention or the file creation date is incorrect. It's also possible that the missing segment just doesn't exist.

Could you see the orientation at time 28 secs. You probably expected it to be pointing west but could you actually see which way it was pointing? It was about here.
1547909222792.png

I think that the problem was a geomagnetically distorted launch site - the missing segment would help here. Looks like the launch site was next to the building - sitting on concrete with rebar? , on a table with metal? At launch it appears that the Yaw value had about a 20° error.

The best way to avoid this kind of problem is to check before launch that the heading indicator is consistent with the AC's actual heading.
triangle.jpg

Reactions: JDawg and sar104
That's unfortunate. Sometimes .DAT files get created that don't follow the naming convention or the file creation date is incorrect. It's also possible that the missing segment just doesn't exist.

Could you see the orientation at time 28 secs. You probably expected it to be pointing west but could you actually see which way it was pointing? It was about here.
View attachment 59561

I think that the problem was a geomagnetically distorted launch site - the missing segment would help here. Looks like the launch site was next to the building - sitting on concrete with rebar? , on a table with metal? At launch it appears that the Yaw value had about a 20° error.

The best way to avoid this kind of problem is to check before launch that the heading indicator is consistent with the AC's actual heading.
View attachment 59562

I would say I looked up from the controls about a quarter of the way through the drift to the right. And it was facing a westish (out to sea) direction until I touched the controls.

I launched off the ground. The building I live in is concrete and 12 stories so I imagine it has steel supports. But underneath where I was launching I would guess all that's there is irrigation lines. That's a guess but it's possible there is some metal.

I don’t know if you’re new to drones but I am and I’ve had mine for about 3wks. One thing that I will not do yet is fly over water at least till I can get my bearings on how to efficiently fly my investment

I veiw the ocean as a great place to fly. No objects, obstructions, wifi interference, level surface, and still has about a 50/50 chance if it goes totally wacky and flies away of heading back to land. I have had it over land a few times now too and I'm more comfortable over the water. I haven't really felt out the obstacle avoidance yet and trees and power lines are tricky fuckers. So many videos of trees taking out drones.

Winds can be freaky near buildings but you were over open water so it's hard to blame the drift on that. The one thing we know is that drones correct for wind with bank not crab so if the wind is strong enough 11 or 12 degrees of bank is not going to stop the drone from drifting. I fly in the desert where thirty knot winds aloft are a possibility and I get wind warnings often which say that I should land and yet there are no control problems, but once on a straight line return to home from a point nearly 2 miles away, my Mavic air drifted quite a ways to the left requiring a circular course on the return and scaring the heck out of me because I should have been over open desert and now I was over houses and I had no idea where. I seriously considered picking a open lot and landing as the battery was getting pretty low but I finally got my wits together and located myself. It took a 90 degree turn to return home. I had made the same flight several times before and have flown the same course since. Very carefully...lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661