DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air vs Mavic air 2

Reactions
I am currently a owner of mavic air. And was wondering about mavic air 2. I am considering selling the air for the air 2. And was wondering if it's worth it? How is it compared to the first one? Like camera quality and such?

Nobody knows yet. They haven’t been delivered.

Way too early to say anything about it yet. It’s definitely going to be better than the first one. Once they work out all the bugs.

From my perspective, I suppose it depends on whether the things that are missing from the MA2 that you have in the MA are outweighed by the benefits of the MA2. I use Smart Capture and fly using my phone too frequently to consider the MA2 an "upgrade" of my MA in the sense that it will not "replace" my MA. For me, the MA2 is really a Mavic 2 Mini. I am wrestling with weather to downgrade my Mavic 2 Zoom for a slightly smaller Mavic Air 2 as I don't know if I would need both of those -- they are far more similar to each other than the two Mavic Airs.

I can say for sure that the range of the MA2 will be better than the MA; the battery will be better, the camera will be better. I don't like the new MA2 remote (will need extra hardware to operate with an iPad Mini) and I really don't like that I don't have the option to leave the remote at home for simple, low altitude Active Track or selfie use.

That's my $.02

I am currently a owner of mavic air. And was wondering about mavic air 2. I am considering selling the air for the air 2. And was wondering if it's worth it? How is it compared to the first one? Like camera quality and such?

Sold MA one month ago, waiting MA2. IMHO the huge limits of the 1 were the range, the noise, some issues with video quality for details and dynamic range, the battery fly time, all compared to my previous mavic pro that I regretted I sold for MA1.From the reviews apparently everything is way better now, so for me is a huge improvement.

For me, the size was the reason I bought my MA1 instead of an MP2. The size of the MA2 is much closer to the MP2 than it is to the MA1, so I will be sticking with my MA1 until at least the time an MP3 is released.

Reactions: Zee_Bass
Are you saying you can use the iPad Mini with the MA1 remote without any additional hardware? I thought you have to use a. Tablet holder of some sort?
An iPad mini does fit in the MA1 remote, barely. I use it that way, but I know some find it awkward to use and prefer a tablet holder. I do think I had to use a longer cable though.

Are you sure about the size comparison? Have you held them side by side?
You can see the size difference in a video like this one:

But the other important thing is the size difference between the two controllers.

I can stick my MA1, its folded up controller, and spare batteries into two lens compartments of my photography backpack so that I can take it along with all of the rest of my photography gear. I would not be able to do the same with the MA2 and would have to leave something else at home.

For me, the deal breaker is really the size of the new controller, which doesn't fold up nice and small like the controller for the MA1 does.

But again, that is just my needs and I'm sure other people won't have the same issue.

Reactions: Underdog1964
You can see the size difference in a video like this one:

But the other important thing is the size difference between the two controllers.

I can stick my MA1, its folded up controller, and spare batteries into two lens compartments of my photography backpack so that I can take it along with all of the rest of my photography gear. I would not be able to do the same with the MA2 and would have to leave something else at home.

For me, the deal breaker is really the size of the new controller, which doesn't fold up nice and small like the controller for the MA1 does.

But again, that is just my needs and I'm sure other people won't have the same issue.

If size is your major concern you really should wait until you get one in your hands. While there’s no doubt it’s bigger than the MA1 videos and pictures aren’t always the best judge. Remember seeing pictures of the MA1 but not realizing how small it was until you held one?

If size is your major concern you really should wait until you get one in your hands. While there’s no doubt it’s bigger than the MA1 videos and pictures aren’t always the best judge. Remember seeing pictures of the MA1 but not realizing how small it was until you held one?

Nice in theory, but I don't have a bunch of folks around me that fly DJI drones, so I can't compare my MA1 with the MA2 of a friend. And, I can't afford to buy an MA2, just to hold it in our own hands and then decide it isn't for me and immediately sell it for less than I paid for it.

Again, just because I have no reason to upgrade from an MA1 to an MA2 doesn't mean that you have the same situation that I have. Maybe the MP3 will change my opinion when it comes out, and maybe even it won't.

Nice in theory, but I don't have a bunch of folks around me that fly DJI drones, so I can't compare my MA1 with the MA2 of a friend. And, I can't afford to buy an MA2, just to hold it in our own hands and then decide it isn't for me and immediately sell it for less than I paid for it.

Again, just because I have no reason to upgrade from an MA1 to an MA2 doesn't mean that you have the same situation that I have. Maybe the MP3 will change my opinion when it comes out, and maybe even it won't.

Won't the MP3 be even bigger?

I will say the MA1 was irresistibly small. But I did not like the controller, the wings blocked the phone and was a pain to set up. I will gladly give up a little size of the drone and controller for longer flight times, Ocusync 2, and a different controller to get the most capable drone in it's size.

I was waiting for the MA2 for the extended range if it was going to be compatible with the smart controller. I love the size of the MA1, perfect for caring all the time, but the M2Z with the SC connects so fast and flys so much more stable in wind, I usually fly it.

Will not sell MA1.........will wait to see what everyone thinks of MA2. MM seems a disaster.

I have a Mavic Air (Original) and am contemplating up-grading. My question is: Is the Mavic Pro 2 V2 worth the difference in price between the Pro and the Air2?

All opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

I have a Mavic Air (Original) and am contemplating up-grading. My question is: Is the Mavic Pro 2 V2 worth the difference in price between the Pro and the Air2?

All opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

Mavic Pro 2 V2...?

Upgrading from the original MA is a definite. It's a huge upgrade in every way possible. You might lose a teeny bit of functionality in DJI FLY vs GO4 but that's neither here nor there after SDK support.

Are you saying you can use the iPad Mini with the MA1 remote without any additional hardware? I thought you have to use a. Tablet holder of some sort?
I have an MA1 and my iPad Mini will not fit where my phone fits. So, I ordered an adapter that fits on top, but not near the antennas. For the moment, I am just using the long power cord and set the iPad alongside me. That's my $0.03.

I have an MA1 and my iPad Mini will not fit where my phone fits. So, I ordered an adapter that fits on top, but not near the antennas. For the moment, I am just using the long power cord and set the iPad alongside me. That's my $0.03.
Interesting....I saw where for the Spark most of the controllers would fit a mini but a some were made with a narrower opening that didn’t. I did not see any cases where a mini would not fit in an Air controller. Either way, a mount probably positions it better and is probably reusable for the Air 2.

I already 3D printed an Air 1 adapter and will try it out on the 2 as soon as it arrives.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk