DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air vs Mavic Pro

Rooster3033

Reactions
So i would like to hear from people who own the mavic air, the pros and cons. Also if people could tell me some differences between the mavic pro and the air and which they think is better. Reason why i ask is because im looking into getting an Air.

I have had both and kept the Air.
Personally, I think the Mavic pro's camera is far too delicate and I had trouble getting focused pictures from it.
I had a Pro and a Platinum. Same thing with both.
My $.02

Both are good choices. Which ever one you decide to get, make sure you get insurance either from DJI or other source.

Mechanically, I have found the Mavic Pro to be my favorite of the 2. I have owned and repaired many of both, and the MP has better range, more parts availability, and has stronger landing gear than the Air. If you do break a leg on the Mavic, you can find replacements. The Air's parts availability is still sparse but will prob catch up by the end of the year.

In terms of crashworthiness, the MP wins hands down. The MA is more fragile in a crash, more parts break, and they are more expensive and more difficult to replace. The MP is built like a tank, I have repaired them from 50' falls on to concrete and all it might need is a landing leg or arm. Conversely, the MA would be totaled in that same situation.

Both are good choices. Which ever one you decide to get, make sure you get insurance either from DJI or other source.

Mechanically, I have found the Mavic Pro to be my favorite of the 2. I have owned and repaired many of both, and the MP has better range, more parts availability, and has stronger landing gear than the Air. If you do break a leg on the Mavic, you can find replacements. The Air's parts availability is still sparse but will prob catch up by the end of the year.

In terms of crashworthiness, the MP wins hands down. The MA is more fragile in a crash, more parts break, and they are more expensive and more difficult to replace. The MP is built like a tank, I have repaired them from 50' falls on to concrete and all it might need is a landing leg or arm. Conversely, the MA would be totaled in that same situation.

I agree.

I have to admit that does surprise me, i always thought the MA was more robust than the MP but if Thunderdrones says it ain't so,than it ain't so !!!! :) you're the goto man in post crash repairs so i can't argue with your expertise and experience in this area...

i always thought the MA was more robust than the MP

I thought so too until I started repairing the Air. I think alot has to do with the heatsink adding protection at the bottom of the MP, and no protection on the Air where the Mavs heat sink is, just the battery. The Airs gimbal is tougher to replace than the Mavics as well.

Just to add the Spark to the equation, I used to think the Spark is about on par with the Mavic Pro in terms of sturdiness, but if you break an arm on a Spark, you have to replace the whole frame from the top down, there is no bottom access. They take me twice as long to repair as the Mav.

I don't see why people are saying the air is not as good in a crash. Watch this and then say that,

There is no way the pro would sill be running after all of that. The only weak part of Air i can see is its WiFi connection.

They fly it into trees over and over and most of the time it doesn't even crash, keeps flying my phantom could not do that and my maverick pro could not. never seen that before.

I got rid of my mavic pro, everyone knows, they need to come out with the next one. Its very in need of and update, and now the air is out that is even more clear, the air is going to kill mavic pro sales. I was so shocked when they put a 4k camera on the air and happy, that is what is going to really going to hit the MP bad.

But every time the other companies start to catch up, DJI is like curb stomp, and put something out thats been sitting in there lab, that is way better.

I also, did know that the Air has a better camera, that collects more data

Last edited:
A also have both but intend to fly my pro more as it has the better range and I have the controller modded etc. But if I want portability, or flying in close, then I grab the air.
For my standard, I’m not seeing a huge difference in cameras.

My air is currently touring Europe as I lent it to a mate, and my pro is our of commission due to minor crash and gimbal needs repairs (just waiting on parts) so stuck with then p4a for the moment

I don't see why people are saying the air is not as good in a crash. Watch this and then say that,

There is no way the pro would sill be running after all of that. The only weak part of Air i can see is its WiFi connection.

They fly it into trees over and over and most of the time it doesn't even crash, keeps flying my phantom could not do that and my maverick pro could not. never seen that before.
Impressive video, but I wouldn’t be dismissing advice given by those here that have a lot of hands on experience repairing theses things

Here you can find some rich pros and cons of Mavic Air vs Mavic Pro, but here I'll name just several.

Mavic Pro: more flight time (27 minutes vs 21 minutes), operates on OcuSync, has LCD screen on controller, max video resolution (C4K: 4096×2160 24p vs 4K Ultra HD: 3840×2160 30p).

Mavic Air: slightly faster (68.4 kph vs 65 kph on S-mode), APAS, Flight Autonomy 2.0, 3-directional obstacle sensing, higher max video bitrate (100 Mbps vs 60 Mbps), internal storage of 8GB.

They both have their own advantages, read the article - you'll get more info.

I got my MPP about a month ago after much study between the 2 options. I've not flown with the Air, but my main concern with the Pro was the constant commentary about the camera quality of the Air being better, mushy video with the Pro, etc. But the Occusink RC connection on the Pro and longer flight time always had me coming back to it as 1st choice.

The Pro has exceeded all expectations including the camera quality. I have noticed NO mushiness to the video @3840 x 2160, 30fps, it's a crisp as can be across the frame. That surprised me, as I was expected to compromise on video quality.

Ref flight time, those minutes lost would really be frustrating as, for me, by the time I've got it into the air, flown to location and allowed time to fly back, I'd limit the location options seriously several minutes less flight time. It's really nice to have some minutes on location to explore and calmly fly back with maybe 30 or 40% left.

I am more than happy with the MPP!

I think as a fun drone you could definitely consider the Air, but the Pro, for me, is the best choice.

PS... Reading that article comparing the 2 it says the Air has the advantage over the Pro in that it can take 128gb cards. I have a 200gb card in my Pro since day 1. Works fine.

My mavic Air is showing an esc no 1 and esc no2 error after a crash landing from zero point three feet
The technician says we have to replace the esc board or something like that.
By mistake I landed it into a small plant in which it flipped over. And it flew once more and it started showing the error,so do you still think it is that durable?
Could anyone help me fix this problem please, plus there is no authorised service centre in my country.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jose Molina