DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Carbon Props 8330F

Beware: there are sets that I have seen for sale that aren't CF--they're solid black plastic--but they're sold as CF. Take a look at NoSung's props. Unless they look similar to his photo, they're very likely not CF. More often than not, the resins are clear to show off the CF weave.

Cheers,

RM

As I pointed out in another thread, at the price point that these CF props are being sold at, it's unlikely that the apparent weave-like surface pattern is really due to a carbon fiber weave. More likely that the surface pattern was just molded onto the surface of the propellers for marketing purposes. One could inspect these "weave" surfaces under a high-mag microscope to be sure but my bet would be that the patterns were just molded or stamped onto the prop surfaces. ( Dji Mavic Pro Carbon Fiber Quick Release Propeller Props )

As I pointed out in another thread, at the price point that these CF props are being sold at, it's unlikely that the apparent weave-like surface pattern is really due to a carbon fiber weave. More likely that the surface pattern was just molded onto the surface of the propellers for marketing purposes. One could inspect these "weave" surfaces under a high-mag microscope to be sure but my bet would be that the patterns were just molded or stamped onto the prop surfaces. ( Dji Mavic Pro Carbon Fiber Quick Release Propeller Props )

Don't get hung up on the price point. You'd be amazed at what is available out of China. I spend about 4 months/yr there. I sourced my props directly from a contact at one of the manufacturers. They're CF...at least the ones I ordered at $22/set. Balanced? No idea yet. Nothing a small amount of adhesive can't fix.

FWIW, a decade ago, before CF shot up 3X in price, I was manufacturing customer body panels out of Santa Ana. Our costs were easily 10X China and their quality, even back then, rivaled anything we could do State-side.

The likelihood that you'll find a set or props with vinyl print is low (and it'll look nothing like the real deal). The same goes for hydrographic printed CF which has tell tale signs. One of these days, if I can find time, I'll see if I can assemble a CF/Vinyl graphic/Hydrographic comparison.

I got them, they work great, a little louder it seems or more stable but I'm still testing them. We'll let you know. After further testing.

Rbruz, I've never heard of carbon fiber "infused" anything (and I manufactured aftermarket CF auto body panels). Do you mean CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastic)? That's basically most of the market for CF, and differ mostly based on the binding polymers and methods used in the manufacturing process.

Beware: there are sets that I have seen for sale that aren't CF--they're solid black plastic--but they're sold as CF. Take a look at NoSung's props. Unless they look similar to his photo, they're very likely not CF. More often than not, the resins are clear to show off the CF weave.

NoSung...very nice! Looking forward to installing mine.

Cheers,

RM

HQ makes them, I also have had them made over past few years, much stiffer then basic plastic yet not as stiff as carbon fiber woven props, also tmotor has been making carbon fiber props with a balsa wood core. Many variations available. I hsve some rctimer 100% carbon fiber that are so way stiff its scary to fly them.
dfe6169120227dbbd7e2b3b6c9dde55f.jpg

HQ makes them, I also have had them made over past few years, much stiffer then basic plastic yet not as stiff as carbon fiber woven props, also tmotor has been making carbon fiber props with a balsa wood core. Many variations available. I hsve some rctimer 100% carbon fiber that are so way stiff its scary to fly them.

Hi Rbruz, it seems the misunderstanding stems from your terminology.

The point of my earlier post is that there is no such thing as carbon fiber infused plastic...at least I'm not aware of it.

There is, however, resin infused carbon fiber with or without a backing or core. We refer to these as CFRPs or carbon fiber reinforced polymers/plastics. When you mentioned "carbon fiber infused plastic" I suspect that's what you really meant.

Carbon fiber laminated to balsa is just a variation of the same, using a different substrate/core. Hypothetically the core can be any material (e.g. fiberglass, steel, plastics, etc) or none at all, but the processes/techniques used to laminate the carbon fiber fabric is basically the same.

I should also mention that "100% carbon fiber" isn't really 100% carbon fiber. It's layers of carbon fiber fabric laminated together with, hopefully, as little resin as possible, with or without a gelcoat, and with no other backing/core materials. The higher the ratio of CF to resin, the stronger the part.

Cheers,

RM

It seem there is lots of guessing and myths out there about CF blades. Here is some background that I want to share with Mavic and other drone owners. First CF blades became very popular with RC helicopter pilots. Those CF blades considered much superior and must have compared to wooden blades on helicopters especially for 3D stunt flying maneuvers. CF blades are rigid and and because they are fairly long on helicopter, you get much better (faster and precise) response from controls. In terms of strength, CF blades are stronger, allowing heli pilots to run at higher engine RPMs, again improving 3D stunt performance and provide much higher possible G loads during stunts like recovering out of free fall or performing tight loops. Here is where it becomes muddy water for Done and CF blades usage. On helicopters, pilot can adjust controls response by changing throttle curves, blade pitch curves, RPMs and overall system gain (how fast system responds to pilot's input). On drones, Mavic, flight characteristic are controlled by flight computer and not user adjustable. Its not even clear if flight computer can learn that CF blades provide quicker response than flexing original ones to take advantage of improved flight characteristics. If Mavic system gain not adjustable by learning in flight computer, then there is no benefit to CF blades in term of response time. And lastly, Mavic is not a stunt performing machine, I am still trying to figure out how to do loops and fly inverted on it:) Therefore biggest benefit becomes weight, looks and resistance to minor damage.

Just fitted my mavic with carbon props today.

They provide noticeably more lift for the same prop speed; I know this because I started the motors on a low friction tiled surface, and with carbon props the aircraft 'wanders' across the ground, slightly, indicating that the aircraft is putting less weight on the ground when the props are idling.

I would explain this by the extra rigidity of carbon props, it's noticeable--the original ones will dissipate energy in their flexing, carbon, much less.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom