DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Chrash

What is maximum size limit to upload. The .csv file is not that big.
Don't know. The reason for zipping is that .zip is an allowable extension for uploading. The .csv extension isn't.

You could also change the .csv to a .txt and upload that.

OK here is the txt file.
That .csv came from a .DAT that wasn't actually a flight. There was no motorStart or satellites. But, there was some accelerometer and gyro data indicating the Mavic had been handled.

That .csv came from a .DAT that wasn't actually a flight. There was no motorStart or satellites. But, there was some accelerometer and gyro data indicating the Mavic had been handled.

How do I know which file to convert. That was the last file before crashing.

I am watching the flight record on DJI 4 app and shows the Mavic going over 200 meters up in the air then the video ends. I watched it come down and could hear it but could not control it.

How do I know which file to convert. That was the last file before crashing.
Picking the right .DAT can be tricky.Take a look at
How to retrieve a .DAT
for some hints.

I see you're using DatCon to convert the .DAT. You could direct DatCon to create a .kml and then view it using Google Earth. It's easy. First select the Ground Track button, hit the Go! button , and then View It.
upload_2017-8-14_13-11-32.png

Or, if you're using CsvView. Select the GeoPlayer after you've selected the .DAT
upload_2017-8-14_13-15-0.png

Reactions: MrsTreat
Picking the right .DAT can be tricky.Take a look at
How to retrieve a .DAT
for some hints.

I see you're using DatCon to convert the .DAT. You could direct DatCon to create a .kml and then view it using Google Earth. It's easy. First select the Ground Track button, hit the Go! button , and then View It.
View attachment 19784

Or, if you're using CsvView. Select the GeoPlayer after you've selected the .DAT
View attachment 19785

Awesome! I used Google Earth like you said and that is flight path, Here is the txt file from the correct DAT file. Thanks for your help!

Google Earth Mavic.JPG

Attachments

• MavicCrash08102017.txt
    5 MB · Views: 8
Awesome! I used Google Earth like you said and that is flight path, Here is the txt file from the correct DAT file. Thanks for your help!

View attachment 19789
It would seem that the root cause of the incident is that ultrasonic height sensor is either obstructed or broke. During the entire flight vpsHeight never got above 0.4 meters even though the AC reached a height of 210 meters.

upload_2017-8-16_6-41-19.png

@msinger is the best at this particular type of incident. Maybe he can look at this and give some further insight

As @BudWalker explained above, the downward sensors were detecting the ground was near during most of the flight. When that occurs, the Mavic will slowly ascend on its own (to try to get away from the ground) and auto switch to Forced Landing mode if the throttle is moved to the full down position (which you did a few times during this flight).

Here are the usual cases where the downward sensors incorrectly detect the ground is near:
  • Something is dangling beneath the Mavic (e.g. a GPS tracker antenna)
  • A 3rd party accessory is installed beneath the Mavic (e.g. extended landing gear)
  • The sensors needs to be calibrated like this
  • The sensors are dirty and need to be cleaned
  • The sensors are damaged and need to be replaced (not a common problem)
FYI, if this ever happens again in the future, you can remedy it mid-flight by disabling the "Landing Protection" setting in DJI GO. That'll at least allow you to get your Mavic back down to the ground safely.

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

As @BudWalker explained above, the downward sensors were detecting the ground was near during most of the flight. When that occurs, the Mavic will slowly ascend on its own (to try to get away from the ground) and auto switch to Forced Landing mode if the throttle is moved to the full down position (which you did a few times during this flight).

Here are the usual cases where the downward sensors incorrectly detect the ground is near:
  • Something is dangling beneath the Mavic (e.g. a GPS tracker antenna)
  • A 3rd party accessory is installed beneath the Mavic (e.g. extended landing gear)
  • The sensors needs to be calibrated like this
  • The sensors are dirty and need to be cleaned
  • The sensors are damaged and need to be replaced (not a common problem)
FYI, if this ever happens again in the future, you can remedy it mid-flight by disabling the "Landing Protection" setting in DJI GO. That'll at least allow you to get your Mavic back down to the ground safely.

View attachment 20025
Why would it not respond to controls? I tried to steer it and it would not respond as well as it was coming down rapidly.

The altitude drops straight down to 0 near the end of the log you posted above (which is very unusual). At which point in that log was your Mavic not obeying your commands?

The altitude drops straight down to 0 near the end of the log you posted above (which is very unusual). At which point in that log was your Mavic not obeying your commands?

Once I got over to the position I wanted to take a picture is when I lost control. It was probably 15 feet high when I took picture and then it went straight up. I tried to make it go over my head but would not respond.

I tried to make it go over my head but would not respond.
Tell me some more about this. What exactly did you do with the sticks on the remote controller?

Tell me some more about this. What exactly did you do with the sticks on the remote controller?
At first when I noticed it acting up was 2 days before. I did not have landing gear on because I had to find a nongrassy area. Every time I tried to lower the Mavic it would say landing sensors not acitve or something like that. So the day of the crash I wanted to be in a controlled place to take a picture at a low height so I can watch the Mavic. I went over to take picture and it did have landing gear on I noticed it was not responding to my controls like it normally does. So I brought it down and I took out battery because in case something happens I want a fully charged battery. I also calibrated the Mavic and all was good until I got above the basketball court to take a picture it started to rise at a slow rate. So I then tried to move it to the left to stay clear of the trees to the right of the court and it would not respond.

Do you still have your KML file? If so, please attach it here.

Where in the flight path did you hit the tree? What happened to your Mavic after it hit the tree?

@BudWalker, do you have any idea what happened to the data in the log after 162.193 (offsetTime)? The relativeHeight, motor data, etc. doesn't look correct.

Where in the flight path did you hit the tree? What happened to your Mavic after it hit the tree?

@BudWalker, do you have any idea what happened to the data in the log after 162.193 (offsetTime)? The relativeHeight, motor data, etc. doesn't look correct.
IF you see the google map image you will see a straight line. That is me positioning the Mavic to the center of the basketball court. The descent is to the left of the center of the court is where it crashed. Based on what the Mavic look like the impact was on the top rear.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake