DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic coming Thursday-What would YOU do BEFORE unboxing...?

Ok, so last week I posted a thread about about going to get the MP in just a few hours at my local Frys. After dealing with the associate there, and seeing the final price with sales tax and etc, I got cold feet - I just chickened out. Well, I have been obsessing about buying the Mavic for almost 2 months; so when I found a deal on line that included the Fly More Combo with other accessories AND Care Refresh for a good $150 less than I would have paid here locally, I bought it. Plus NO sales tax, which here in Cali, USA, amounts to well over a hundred bucks. It will be here on Thursday.

My problems are these: I am freaked out about the firmware versions for one. The other thing is, I went to download the GO 4 app in the play store, and the string of 1 STAR and plainly PISSED OFF users as of the last month or two scares me. BTW I am pretty much a virgin piloting anything like the MP.

So, if you were getting your Mavic today, knowing what you know as a current user, and based on your experience...what would you do? I decided finally I'll be using my phone for starting out with the Mavic. My phone is the Samsung S7. I don't have a bunch of apps installed on the phone and basically use it just as a phone and for doing some business (email & internet) as I am an on line retailer myself.

I know opinions will vary widely but I need to get a grip on this firmware and app thing so I can sleep at night.
I would really love to see MSINGER weigh in on this thread because as a lurker here, I'v seen that people really trust his knowledge and advice.

Thank you everyone!
Anthony
1st
Read the manual entirely
2nd
Charge the batteries, update every components.
3rd
Turn on beginner mode.
Wait a day with calm weather, no wind.
Choose a very open area, without magnetic interference. Back country should be perfect. Avoid cities.
Take off, have fun.

PS : if your not confidant during the flight press RTH button and let the drone do is thing.

Got my MP last week and didn't have problems with the app (Samsung S8+ and iPad mini IV). Spent quite a lot of time watching many youtube clips with recommendations and learning all the settings/functions. I also created a document with the menu structure of the app as a memory hook. Sometimes it is hard to remember where to find single functions (especially the "Peak Focus Threshold" :( ).

Every punch line for every joke until you die! really! are we married to the same woman :rolleyes:. My wife originally bought me the Spark for Xmas and I had to in a very nice way tell her that she had bought me the wrong drone and to get her *** back to where she bought it from and buy me the right drone, okay! I didn't quite say it like that but now I think she wants me to lose it just to say 'I told you so' as I think our wife's like to snigger behind our backs when we F up. ;)
many many years ago I was learning to fly rc helicopters.
after a long time (weeks) I for the first time took off hovered in one spot, flew down the garden, turned 180, flew back, turned 180 and landed. (without breaking it)
I was so pleased, turned round wearing a big smile, to see my wife leaning on the patio door, just shook her head and walked back indoors. she hasn't changed.

Reactions: DAV8IE and Xero
many many years ago I was learning to fly rc helicopters.
after a long time (weeks) I for the first time took off hovered in one spot, flew down the garden, turned 180, flew back, turned 180 and landed. (without breaking it)
I was so pleased, turned round wearing a big smile, to see my wife leaning on the patio door, just shook her head and walked back indoors. she hasn't changed.
We are all kids, just the toy price is changing.

We are all kids, just the toy price is changing.

Yeah! they are not toy prices any more, they are investments, well that what I tell the missus, so when I die you wont be able to pay off the mortgage or feed the kids but Hey! you have **** loads of toys to play with. If the shoe was on the other foot eh! o_O

Reactions: Simmo
Before buying a drone I was like you: after having choosed the mpp I was worried about which nd filter, which accessories, and which firmware,... I though that the first thing I will have done when receiving it would be buy accessories and hack the drone, remove restrictions,... just to have my drone to his complete performance.
I could barely sleep because I was reading all the discussion about which fw is the best one.
Well I havn't get any accessory yet and I just upgraded to fw 01.04.0000 both aircraft and rc.
When I received my mavic first thing I did was flying in beginner mode (before I just have take some flight with mini helicopter, drone was completly new for me). I recently switched to normal mode because I got some confidence and I probably try sport mode very soon.. with this I am just saying take it easy and don't worry any firmware is good to begin.
Just fly, improve and enjoy and after that you have plenty of time about choosing your setting.
You will be surprise of the performance of mavic even in beginner mode!
The only thing you don't have to forget is to download UAV forecast (very good to know if conditions for flight are optimal or not, at least when you are beginner) and to check about magnetic disturb in the area you plan to flight.

Enjoy your drone!

If you use one of the intelligent flight modes or any other situation where it is flying sideways or backwards just be aware that if there is anything around that it can hit that's exactly what it's gonna do, ask me how I know. So practice with it up high and away from obstacles. If you want to get the low down up close action shot you need to carefully plan and choreograph it ahead of time to avoid a crash. The airframe is pretty stout, the camera gimbal not so much but if you break anything there are a hundred YouTube videos on how to fix it because you're definitely not the first guy that's done it. I had to replace my gimbal ribbon cable before I had it a week due to an active tracking crash that wasn't thought out very well ahead of time. I'm much more careful now :oops:

Good advice here. Read all you can digest, then read it again, watch the YouTube video's, there are plenty of them. Start in beginner mode, like one of the previous posts, I had an RC Helo years ago and it was like a bucking bronco with no beginner mode, that's why it is in a box in pieces after two flights. (And yes, 5 years later, my wife still reminds me of how I nearly killed the cat and what it was that left that gouge mark on the TV).
The DJI GO app is fine. I also read all the crap reviews and wondered what I had done. I have my one paired with a Galaxy S8 and there are no issues, so far.
I had my first flights today with no problems. 3 batteries used up just learning and enjoying the experience.
Tomorrow, I will take it off beginner mode and try to make some video.
I love this thing, but it needs respect, so respect it will get.

Happy Flying and be ready to answer lots of questions from passers by...Thumbswayup

Reactions: Nomade
I can,Swiss german here, it's possible to have it?
;)

It's based on the current version of DJI Go 4 and not yet final (especially because of differences to the description on DJIs homepage).

Some remarks:
  • yellow markings: unclear / not verified
  • green markings, bold: my settings
  • purple markings: not yet decided
HTH! Feedback welcome.

Attachments

• Einstellungen.pdf
    95.5 KB · Views: 12
;)

It's based on the current version of DJI Go 4 and not yet final (especially because of differences to the description on DJIs homepage).

Some remarks:
  • yellow markings: unclear / not verified
  • green markings, bold: my settings
  • purple markings: not yet decided
HTH! Feedback welcome.
Thank you!!

Reactions: ManfredH
I just got a Mavic Pro too! First thing you do when it arrives is unwrap it (very gently) and stroke it (very gently) and call it 'precious' (very softly) and then get it out the box and up in the air as it feels awesome! Thumbswayup but only after you have done all your firmware upgrades, and don't worry about it (as I did too) its very simple and quick to do so you should be up in the air in no time. Enjoy :D

Give it a name, mine is called Charmaine

I like flying it using iPad instead of iPhone because you can see so much more on the screen. I just sit down with the iPad on my knees, connected to the bottom USB port of the controller with the standard Apple Lighting cable. When you do that you have to remember to have the RC cable disconnected from the micro USB port at the top left of the controller as per instruction manual, otherwise the iPad won’t connect.

Reactions: ManfredH
Consider Costco instead of Fry's. As of last week, Costco was $100 bucks cheaper. But the big deal is that they will take returns for refund or exchange for 90 days after purchase. I needed that, as my original was defective in the box and I could not work out an acceptable exchange with DJI. (They wanted to ship a refurb.) So I took it in to Costco and walked out with a new one that works perfectly. If your store is out of stock they have them online.

Later I stopped at Fry's for an extra SD card and immediately saw the big sign:
"No returns or refunds on drones for any reason."
You are left to work your own deal with the manufacturer, in addition to paying the higher price.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman