DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic coming Thursday-What would YOU do BEFORE unboxing...?

TeeCee

Reactions
Ok, so last week I posted a thread about about going to get the MP in just a few hours at my local Frys. After dealing with the associate there, and seeing the final price with sales tax and etc, I got cold feet - I just chickened out. Well, I have been obsessing about buying the Mavic for almost 2 months; so when I found a deal on line that included the Fly More Combo with other accessories AND Care Refresh for a good $150 less than I would have paid here locally, I bought it. Plus NO sales tax, which here in Cali, USA, amounts to well over a hundred bucks. It will be here on Thursday.

My problems are these: I am freaked out about the firmware versions for one. The other thing is, I went to download the GO 4 app in the play store, and the string of 1 STAR and plainly PISSED OFF users as of the last month or two scares me. BTW I am pretty much a virgin piloting anything like the MP.

So, if you were getting your Mavic today, knowing what you know as a current user, and based on your experience...what would you do? I decided finally I'll be using my phone for starting out with the Mavic. My phone is the Samsung S7. I don't have a bunch of apps installed on the phone and basically use it just as a phone and for doing some business (email & internet) as I am an on line retailer myself.

I know opinions will vary widely but I need to get a grip on this firmware and app thing so I can sleep at night.
I would really love to see MSINGER weigh in on this thread because as a lurker here, I'v seen that people really trust his knowledge and advice.

Thank you everyone!
Anthony

Reactions: wytnyt
I just got a Mavic Pro too! First thing you do when it arrives is unwrap it (very gently) and stroke it (very gently) and call it 'precious' (very softly) and then get it out the box and up in the air as it feels awesome! Thumbswayup but only after you have done all your firmware upgrades, and don't worry about it (as I did too) its very simple and quick to do so you should be up in the air in no time. Enjoy :D

Reactions: krester
I can only speak for myself. I've had zero problems with the app. This is not to say the everything is perfect. But, go ahead and unbox, update and go have fun. Take it slow until you get comfortable with the controls. And, understand all the data you're getting on your monitor. It's almost overload for the newbie, but take the time to understand what the drone is telling you. As Bluto Blutarski once said, "Knowledge is Good".

Reactions: Costa Rica Guy
Anthony go to hear you chime in. So latest firmware and DJI GO 4 latest version...?!
I've NEVER had an issue using the IOS versions on any of my DJI platforms. I assume most of those poor reviews are because the Spark folks are pissed about the OTG debacle

I can only speak for myself. I've had zero problems with the app. This is not to say the everything is perfect. But, go ahead and unbox, update and go have fun. Take it slow until you get comfortable with the controls. And, understand all the data you're getting on your monitor. It's almost overload for the newbie, but take the time to understand what the drone is telling you.

I hope I can take my time. I have always been the type to see it, want it, buy it...who cares...?
I have never been this careful with a purchase in my life, probably not even my car. And my wife, very cool woman BTW hasn't said a word, but I KNOW if I lose this drone it'll be the punch line for every joke until I die.

I hope I can take my time. I have always been the type to see it, want it, buy it...who cares...?
I have never been this careful with a purchase in my life, probably not even my car. And my wife, very cool woman BTW hasn't said a word, but I KNOW if I lose this drone it'll be the punch line for every joke until I die.
You'll be fine...just take it nice and slow in the beginning. Not like others that try to set distance records at an altitude of 700 feet over water within 5 minutes of unboxing ;)

Reactions: colinfowler
You'll be fine...just take it nice and slow in the beginning. Not like others that try to set distance records at an altitude of 700 feet over water within 5 minutes of unboxing ;)

Well I cleared ALL the furniture in my living room, so I should be good to go...Thumbswayup

No really, I have a nice open field nearby to get started and the MP has a beginner mode. I'm cool starting out there.

Reactions: Anthony Viscomi

Every punch line for every joke until you die! really! are we married to the same woman :rolleyes:. My wife originally bought me the Spark for Xmas and I had to in a very nice way tell her that she had bought me the wrong drone and to get her *** back to where she bought it from and buy me the right drone, okay! I didn't quite say it like that but now I think she wants me to lose it just to say 'I told you so' as I think our wife's like to snigger behind our backs when we F up. ;)

Well I cleared ALL the furniture in my living room, so I should be good to go...Thumbswayup

No really, I have a nice open field nearby to get started and the MP has a beginner mode. I'm cool starting out there.
Yeah, not sure I would recommend flying indoors

LOL. If it ain't the Mavic, it'll be something else. My response to spousal criticism is now "Yes dear, you're probably right". It's not nasty or vulgar. But the double entendre is perfect!

Reactions: DAV8IE
My advice is to try and relax.

Make sure and add the refresh to aircraft serial before flying.

Once you have first flight under your belt you will wonder what all the fuss is about.

It takes a few flights to build confidence in the aircraft but after that negative thoughts of crashes and flyaways melt away.

Enjoy

Flying indoors on unboxing, check out this Eejit. I love the way he throws the instructions away :D which he maybe should have read.

Ok, so last week I posted a thread about about going to get the MP in just a few hours at my local Frys. After dealing with the associate there, and seeing the final price with sales tax and etc, I got cold feet - I just chickened out. Well, I have been obsessing about buying the Mavic for almost 2 months; so when I found a deal on line that included the Fly More Combo with other accessories AND Care Refresh for a good $150 less than I would have paid here locally, I bought it. Plus NO sales tax, which here in Cali, USA, amounts to well over a hundred bucks. It will be here on Thursday.

My problems are these: I am freaked out about the firmware versions for one. The other thing is, I went to download the GO 4 app in the play store, and the string of 1 STAR and plainly PISSED OFF users as of the last month or two scares me. BTW I am pretty much a virgin piloting anything like the MP.

So, if you were getting your Mavic today, knowing what you know as a current user, and based on your experience...what would you do? I decided finally I'll be using my phone for starting out with the Mavic. My phone is the Samsung S7. I don't have a bunch of apps installed on the phone and basically use it just as a phone and for doing some business (email & internet) as I am an on line retailer myself.

I know opinions will vary widely but I need to get a grip on this firmware and app thing so I can sleep at night.
I would really love to see MSINGER weigh in on this thread because as a lurker here, I'v seen that people really trust his knowledge and advice.

Thank you everyone!
Anthony
i know how you feel about the wife thing,i showed my wife a pic of the copy cat eachine and told her i paid $329 for it,i got a big eye roll and shrug so no big deal,,but if i wreck it.itll be a ''i told u so'' story,,and with another mavic AND a eaching coming if i wreck one well i dont know:)
just read and watch a ton of youtube videos and youll be ok,.,and above all--learn the rc functions.

Read the manual!
Learn your local authorities flight rules.
Get a proper usb cable for whatever device you are going to fly with. There are many posts of apps closing during flight which might be caused by the poor quality cables DJI supply or the sliders that hold them in place on the rc.

Reactions: Flashcot
Take your time and dont create undue mental stress.
You want to be relaxed and patient
Make sure you are not near any large pieces of metal like vehicles when you launch.
Let it hover at a low altitude to make sure everything is performing as it should.
If you get panicked you can always just remove your fingers from the contol sticks and it will park in the sky and hover.
Give it gentle stick inputs to begin with to understand what the stick movements do in relation to the Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998