DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic coming Thursday-What would YOU do BEFORE unboxing...?

1st
Read the manual entirely
2nd
Charge the batteries, update every components.
3rd
Turn on beginner mode.
Wait a day with calm weather, no wind.
Choose a very open area, without magnetic interference. Back country should be perfect. Avoid cities.
Take off, have fun.

PS : if your not confidant during the flight press RTH button and let the drone do is thing.

I expect you are out of beginner mode with no problems.

IMHO these are excellent points. Everyone can add their points and I will add mine.
X.1
For a smart phone get a couple of apps, UAV Forecast & B4UFly
X.2
First time through the manual, take notes and exact locations when you don't understand something, research the answer and read the manual again. Repeat until you at least understand everything
X.3
Learn recovery procedures for high wind, my $0.02, enable "Multiple Flight Modes" #5 (won't work in beginner mode) so when / if you get caught in overpowering winds you will have some spare speed at your disposal.
X.4
Understand ATTI and what to do should it jump up and bite you in the back side.
X.5
Practice recovery, practice recovery, practice recovery

Last edited:
Ok, so last week I posted a thread about about going to get the MP in just a few hours at my local Frys. After dealing with the associate there, and seeing the final price with sales tax and etc, I got cold feet - I just chickened out. Well, I have been obsessing about buying the Mavic for almost 2 months; so when I found a deal on line that included the Fly More Combo with other accessories AND Care Refresh for a good $150 less than I would have paid here locally, I bought it. Plus NO sales tax, which here in Cali, USA, amounts to well over a hundred bucks. It will be here on Thursday.

My problems are these: I am freaked out about the firmware versions for one. The other thing is, I went to download the GO 4 app in the play store, and the string of 1 STAR and plainly PISSED OFF users as of the last month or two scares me. BTW I am pretty much a virgin piloting anything like the MP.

So, if you were getting your Mavic today, knowing what you know as a current user, and based on your experience...what would you do? I decided finally I'll be using my phone for starting out with the Mavic. My phone is the Samsung S7. I don't have a bunch of apps installed on the phone and basically use it just as a phone and for doing some business (email & internet) as I am an on line retailer myself.

I know opinions will vary widely but I need to get a grip on this firmware and app thing so I can sleep at night.
I would really love to see MSINGER weigh in on this thread because as a lurker here, I'v seen that people really trust his knowledge and advice.

Thank you everyone!
Anthony
Read up on the "crash scenarios" posted here, sometimes it can be hard to read the manual and then know how to apply that knowledge to some panic situation. The lessons learned there will help you understand a flying computer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying