DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic compass needs to be calibrated before each flight

The compass is one of the most misunderstood facets of drone flying.

Possibly but i understand them well enough given i have to use the things in my daily job outside of it.

It's not possible because moving any distance makes no difference to compass calibration.

Distance specifically no. But a change in longitude and/or magnetic field in a local area can do and does. Thats why many compasses need calibrating.

Its perfectly possible for DJI to engineer a safeguard in the drone if via GPS it detects its a long way from where it was last calibrated.

Compass calibration is not related to geographic location.

See above.

Compass calibration is only to help the compass understand which magnetic fields are part of the Mavic and which are the earth's normal magnetic field

You're assuming the local magnetic field is uniform. It isn't.

A magnetic anomaly won't make any difference because calibrating is just to help ascertain which magnetic influences (those that rotate with the Mavic) belong to the Mavic.

Not if theres a strong local offset. Which can happen.

If there's a magnetic anomaly, it won't rotate with the Mavic so won't be counted as part of the Mavic.

But will manifest itself when the mavic climbs or moves clear of this adjusted anomaly.

Earths magnetic field is not uniform in strength OR direction, especially on a local scale.
DJI themselves have changed the advice with this release to calibrate if its moved 30 or so miles. The drone is also prompting people to calibrate when its moved this sort of distance. It IS a new behaviour.

Possibly but i understand them well enough given i have to use the things in my daily job outside of it.
Earths magnetic field is not uniform in strength OR direction, especially on a local scale.
DJI themselves have changed the advice with this release to calibrate if its moved 30 or so miles. The drone is also prompting people to calibrate when its moved this sort of distance. It IS a new behaviour.
None of what you've written is true or relevant because you have completely misunderstood what compass calibration does.
Read the link I gave above to educate yourself and stop perpetuating myths.

DJI have simply re-used the same old incorrect compass calibration advice and it's wrong.

This topic never dies, which is probably neither surprising nor bad since it is just sufficiently complex that the subtleties frequently get lost.

I'll preface the following by saying that @Meta4 is correct - there is no basis for needing to recalibrate when changing locations even though the earth's field varies with location because, while it may be somewhat counter-intuitive, the calibration process doesn't care about the earth's magnetic field.

To understand the reasons requires starting with a clear description of what the compass measures and what happens to that information. The earth's core is magnetized due mostly to rotation, with magnetic north towards the North Pole and magnetic south towards the South Pole, although the two axes are not perfectly aligned.

magnetic_field_earth.jpg

The magnetic field lines emanate from the magnetic south pole and return to the south pole in the classic bar magnet pattern, and so at any point on the surface of the earth the magnetic field lies at an angle to the ground, (except near the equator where it is approximately horizontal) called the inclination, and points towards the magnetic north pole.

Since the magnetic north pole and the geographic north pole are not in the same place there will, in general, be an angle between the horizontal component of the magnetic field lines (that point to magnetic north) and the direction of the geographic North Pole (true north). That angle varies by location since, as you look to the north, the apparent relative positions of magnetic north and true north depend on where you are. That offset is called the declination (or variation). So if you also know the declination (you have to know it based on your location since there is no way to measure it) then you can subtract the declination angle to determine where true north is.

Back to the compass - its only job is to determine the direction of magnetic north, and to do that it measures the direction (relative to the aircraft) of the horizontal component of the local magnetic field. If the only magnetic field that it sees is the earth's field then that is trivial, but the aircraft, itself, has a magnetic field due to internal ferromagnetic components which will, in general, change the direction of horizontal component of the field.

Luckily, magnetic fields follow the Superposition Principle, which means that if two separate magnetic fields interact, the net field vector at any location is simply the vector sum of the individual fields. So, if the magnetic field of the aircraft can be independently measured then, with the assumption that it doesn't change as the aircraft moves around, it can simply be subtracted from the total magnetic field measured by the compass to leave just the earth's magnetic field.

That measurement is achieved by the calibration process since, as the aircraft is rotated, the earth's magnetic field appears to rotate while the aircraft's magnetic field stays constant. The orthogonal rotations in the calibration process allow those two fields to be separated mathematically, and the FC now has the aircraft's magnetic field (the calibration) stored. It subtracts that from the measured field in flight, takes the horizontal component of the resulting field (now assumed to be just the earth's) and thus knows its heading relative to magnetic north.

However, for navigation it needs its heading relative to true north, since that is the basis of the coordinate system for positioning, such as latitude/longitude. To calculate that heading it has to add the local declination value. There is a common misconception that somehow the calibration process determined declination but it should be obvious that it cannot do that. The orientation of our coordinate system is arbitrary relative to magnetic north and there is no way, as I mentioned above, to figure out the difference between true north and magnetic north with a compass; you have to know the declination separately by looking it up on a map, or calculating it approximately using spherical geometry and knowing the relative positions of the true north pole, the magnetic north pole and your location or, for the most accurate results, using your location with a global model of the earth's field.

The FC does the latter - it has a stored global magnetic field model in firmware and as soon as it gets a GPS position lock on startup it computes the declination (and inclination) from the model and adds it to the magnetic heading from the compass. That's not even educated speculation - you can see it happening in the DAT files. Now it has true heading.

Note that all this assumes that there are no other magnetic fields present - only the earth's and the aircraft's. If there are other fields due to ferromagnetic structures, large or small, then the aircraft may or may not be able to detect their presence. The FC almost certainly has some criteria for acceptable field strengths and it knows what the inclination should be for comparison with measurement. But beyond that, any local field potentially just changes the apparent direction of magnetic north and, if that error is significant, leads to all the common problems after takeoff.

Those flight problems are also not obvious in their origin - many people ask why, since very local magnetic interference will go away after takeoff, the problem only manifests afterwards during flight. The answer lies in the way that the FC actually computes heading (yaw). The primary sensor in flight is not the compass - it is the rate gyros - i.e. the heading is primarily tracked inertially in flight, not magnetically. The IMU heading is initialized using the compass heading, before takeoff and after the declination has been computed. In flight the compass heading is only used to correct for drift in the rate gyro data. So if, after takeoff, the magnetic interference goes away, then the compass heading will change without the IMU ever detecting rotation of the aircraft, and the IMU and compass now disagree by far more than the drift correction algorithm can handle. That's the source of all the compass and yaw errors and, since the FC now doesn't know which way it is pointing, it cannot navigate and, unless it quickly switches to ATTI mode, will fly uncontrollably if it tries.

I've wondered why they don't add some code to notice those sudden discrepancies and, as a first correction attempt, simply re-initialized the IMU heading. It seems as if that might handle the bulk of the compass error problems, since they are caused by interference at the takeoff site, but there may be other reasons not to do that.

There is also the question of "bad calibrations" - can they happen. I think there are a few scenarios in which that might occur. If the user is wearing something magnetic that may make it appear to be part of the aircraft's magnetic field. Or if the magnetic field is local enough to vary as the aircraft is rotated - that might have a similar effect.

So why might the M2 be asking for more frequent calibrations? It's possible that the criteria for compass errors have been tightened, perhaps because it only has one compass. It's possible that the startup checks for compass issues have been changed to make it more robust. It isn't a result of any change to the physics involved, and the random and variable DJI instructions to calibrate or not to calibrate when changing location are probably either due to miscommunications between the writers and the engineers or a broad statement to cover themselves when compass issues occur. It would be far more useful for them to include the advice to check the heading indicator before takeoff and ensure that it agrees with the actual direction the aircraft is facing.

Last edited:
None of that is normal.
Distance has nothing to do with it.
The manual is quite wrong about this and moving 5 miles or 5000 miles makes no difference to compass calibration.
If you think the app is telling you, that you need to calibrate your compass, look closer at what it's actually saying.
I can think of two possibilities.
1. Some people think that the Calibrate Compass wording in the app is a warning to calibrate the compass when it's just the button you press when you actually need to calibrate.
2. It could be that your compass is warning you of magnetic interference and no amount of calibrating will fix that.
Moving the Mavic away from the problem is the solution.
I cant speak for the others but in my case you are wrong. You speak with authority and seem to assume that nobody else hear has any experience with drones other than yourself.

I cant speak for the others but in my case you are wrong.
That's because I was correct.
Like I said above, if your assumption of what compass calibration does is wrong, everything else you think about compass calibration will be wrong.
You speak with authority and seem to assume that nobody else hear has any experience with drones other than yourself.
As you should have noted, I referred to another post by another member to back up what I was saying (post #19).
That member later posted here giving more support to what I was having so much trouble getting across.
I don't assume no-one else has experience but I have been sorting out flyers drone problems for over three years and know that the compass is much misunderstood and the subject of much myth and superstition.

And further proof today with another large move and another prompt for compass calibration.

So, it arrives from china (long way). Demands calibration. Flies for 2 weeks within roughly 30 mile radius with no calibration prompts.

Its then moved 7,000 miles, starts up, demands calibration. Then does a further 5 flights within 20 mile radius with no issue.

Then its moved 700 miles. Demands calibration. 4 more flights within 4 mile radius all fine.

Moved 1100 miles today, demands calibration. Further flights in the area no issue.

Also interesting to note that initially in Opti mode it doesn't ask for it but as soon as it gets a GPS lock it goes to "check app" and demands a calibration so im fairly sure its detecting its moved a long way and forcing one.

It's not a stupid idea because despite what the compass expert claims above, compasses do need re calibrating when moved to various geographical areas. Depending exactly how they're implemented it can vary but lots do. I see it all the time with non drone based compasses.
I guess DJI have changed the compass implementation and have implemented a software nag to get people to do it when its moved.

It'll be travelling a further 250 miles tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if it wants it again or not.

Reactions: Cutitout
And further proof today with another large move and another prompt for compass calibration.

So, it arrives from china (long way). Demands calibration. Flies for 2 weeks within roughly 30 mile radius with no calibration prompts.

Its then moved 7,000 miles, starts up, demands calibration. Then does a further 5 flights within 20 mile radius with no issue.

Then its moved 700 miles. Demands calibration. 4 more flights within 4 mile radius all fine.

Moved 1100 miles today, demands calibration. Further flights in the area no issue.

Also interesting to note that initially in Opti mode it doesn't ask for it but as soon as it gets a GPS lock it goes to "check app" and demands a calibration so im fairly sure its detecting its moved a long way and forcing one.

It's not a stupid idea because despite what the compass expert claims above, compasses do need re calibrating when moved to various geographical areas. Depending exactly how they're implemented it can vary but lots do. I see it all the time with non drone based compasses.
I guess DJI have changed the compass implementation and have implemented a software nag to get people to do it when its moved.

It'll be travelling a further 250 miles tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if it wants it again or not.

It's not in the firmware, because mine has never asked to be calibrated - not after arriving from China and not after moving around within the US.

It would probably help the discussion here if, rather than just asserting that compasses need to be recalibrated after moving, you could explain why and how they are recalibrated. That might shed some light on where that idea comes from.

All I can see there is proof that you don't understand what compass calibration does and just want to stick with your assumptions despite the facts.

Last edited:
Here is a question, many say rebar in concrete will cause issues. If the rebar is magnetized after installation isn’t it aligned with the poles anyway? If so, how would it effect take off compass readings?

Here is a question, many say rebar in concrete will cause issues. If the rebar is magnetized after installation isn’t it aligned with the poles anyway? If so, how would it effect take off compass readings?

The earth's magnetic field is far too weak to magnetize them. Ferromagnetic materials of that kind become magnetized during production when large electromagnets are used to handle them.

But even if their magnetic poles were aligned north-south, the field in the vicinity of those poles would be pointing at those poles, not at the earth's poles.

The compass calibration topic seems to carry on . I bought a used mavic as a backup unit . I fired it up and it wanted a firmware update , so I did it but it didn’t ask for a compass tuneup . It came from the southern parts of the lower 48 and traveled to the upper part of northern Alberta . I was very surprised that it did not ask for one .

The compass calibration topic seems to carry on . I bought a used mavic as a backup unit . I fired it up and it wanted a firmware update , so I did it but it didn’t ask for a compass tuneup . It came from the southern parts of the lower 48 and traveled to the upper part of northern Alberta . I was very surprised that it did not ask for one .

Why were you surprised?

I was surprised as it seems that’s all I am reading lately is how so many drones are asking for a gps tuneup . I was thinking it might be something in the firmware update . My two normal units that I use , my main pro and little sparky never ask . Both of them get hauled around in my sxs all the time . I am very pleased that I am not plagued by the nagging of recalibration needed .

I just read this entire thread and I'm intrigued. Last Saturday, I had an experience that kind of baffled me. When I received my Mavic 2 from China several weeks ago, it did not ask me to calibrate the compass. I made about 30 flights within 20 miles from my home and I was never prompted to calibrate the compass. Then, last Saturday, I drove approximately 60 miles from my home. I put the Mavic on the ground far away from any metal. When I turned everything on, it gave me a Mag Interference error and wanted me to calibrate the compass. I thought, "What the heck..." and moved the drone. Same thing. Moved it again and same thing. So I re-calibrated the compass and everything was fine. I thought it was odd and that it was probably an isolated incident.

After flying, I traveled another 45 miles further from my home. Started everything up to take another flight and again, it said there was Mag Interference and wanted me to calibrate the compass. I was a little perplexed but did the compass calibration anyway and the Mavic flew fine.

When I got back home, I needed to discharge one of my batteries so I started my Mavic up in it's regular spot and again, Mag Interference. At this point, I was beginning to think that something was wrong with my Mavic. I re-calibrated the compass again and everything flew fine. I have made multiple flights since then from home and it has not asked me to re-calibrate the compass again.

So the theory that the new Mavic 2s will now ask you to calibrate the compass if it moves ~30 miles does make some sense based on my experience last Saturday. I'm not trying to argue with anyone... just sharing my experience.

Note: I also owned the original Mavic Pro for over a year and only calibrated the compass once before the first flight. Never did it again. So the behavior between the two does appear to be different.

Last edited:
Reactions: peros550
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair