DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic crash, caused by ??

Tripner

Reactions
Mavic crash. Operator error?

I crashed my Mavic into a swamp crowded with trees and vines. I can not find it. I assume the problem was my error. The Mavic launched from a beach and flew 600 feet out over water (height 20 feet) and into an onshore breeze of perhaps 8mph. I did a 180 degree turn, flew back to the beach, but was paying no attention to the fact that the head wind was now a tail wind. When the Mavic got close enough I realized how much faster it was flying so I let go of the throttle. There was no response (but preciously little time for it to respond). Within two seconds or so my Mavic crashed into the swamp. After several weeks I got around to looking at the flight record. It shows: Home Point Recorded, 16 GPS satellites, and the flight path for about 2/3 of my Mavic’s final flight. The last 400 feet do not appear on the flight record. The last seconds of the flight record include two warnings: A): “Warning: Compass Error. Exit P-GPS Mode” and B): “Warning: IMU heading exception In flight please switch to ATTI Mode if craft behave(s) abnormally.

Not sure what to make of this. Any thoughts?

Mavic crash. Operator error?

I crashed my Mavic into a swamp crowded with trees and vines. I can not find it. I assume the problem was my error. The Mavic launched from a beach and flew 600 feet out over water (height 20 feet) and into an onshore breeze of perhaps 8mph. I did a 180 degree turn, flew back to the beach, but was paying no attention to the fact that the head wind was now a tail wind. When the Mavic got close enough I realized how much faster it was flying so I let go of the throttle. There was no response (but preciously little time for it to respond). Within two seconds or so my Mavic crashed into the swamp. After several weeks I got around to looking at the flight record. It shows: Home Point Recorded, 16 GPS satellites, and the flight path for about 2/3 of my Mavic’s final flight. The last 400 feet do not appear on the flight record. The last seconds of the flight record include two warnings: A): “Warning: Compass Error. Exit P-GPS Mode” and B): “Warning: IMU heading exception In flight please switch to ATTI Mode if craft behave(s) abnormally.

Without seeing the logs it's hard to know the cause but, from what you posted, the aircraft switched to ATTI mode due to a compass error. That is why it did not stop when you released the sticks - in ATTI mode it will simply coast (to stop it you would have to actively apply opposite pitch) and drift with the wind.

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Without seeing the logs it's hard to know the cause but, from what you posted, the aircraft switched to ATTI mode due to a compass error. That is why it did not stop when you released the sticks - in ATTI mode it will simply coast (to stop it you would have to actively apply opposite pitch) and drift with the wind.
Thanks, This makes sense based on those warnings and what I experienced in those last few seconds.

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.
Thanks for the help. I'll see if I can use the Flight Log Viewer instructions to see the txt file.

IMG_2263.PNG Burnt or failed gps/compass... The usual failing component due to symptoms... My 1 1/2 week Mavic crashed because of that... Yours failed in flight (scary)... Mine failed while using simulator...

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002