DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC CRASHED IN TO SEA IN IT'S FIRST FLIGHT

I dont know why anyone is giving you a hard time.

I see at least THREE of these posts saying the exact same thing each week. Sudden disconnection. Last week one of them found the drone with it's battery on the ground pretty far away from it... seems like there's a pattern of a problem here.

The problem is a battery not being seated and locked in correctly, resulting in intermittent connection or total disconnect in flight.

People with problems are the vocal minority. People chime in on every thread of woe giving their own problem-free experiences, but I've only ever seen one person make a new thread because they didn't screw up.

Reactions: Vilco
The problem is a battery not being seated and locked in correctly, resulting in intermittent connection or total disconnect in flight.

People with problems are the vocal minority. People chime in on every thread of woe giving their own problem-free experiences, but I've only ever seen one person make a new thread because they didn't screw up.
It actually could be anything... I would consider seagull attack as well

Sad. Really sad. Not just that the guy lost his MP, but that people take such joy rubbing his nose in it..
I don't think people take joy in the fact that he or anyone else loses a Mavic. I do think most would like to point out the decision making process that results in a lost UAV because they want to prevent others from losing theirs.

Imagine the heartbreak any one of you would feel if you lost your MP..

That's a chance we take every time we fly. The best way to avoid losing your bird is to actually research best practices and follow them. I'm suggesting that it isn't a best practice to fly over water on the first flight.

Hindsight being what it is, I'm sure no one needs to publicly shame the OP for the risk he took. He wants help figuring out why it went down - not a kick in the pants.

Oh jeez... seriously... feeling dare hurt. We can't have that. FCOL, this is an internet post. Not exactly a public shaming.

Reactions: Kilrah
I strongly suggest that we somehow convey that first time Mavic fliers watch totorials and/or read some of the posts we've created for first time Mavic fliers. We advanced fliers can't consider anything "common sense" when it comes to new fliers.
Flying over water can be very safe but I would never take that route on my first flight.
Practice on open terrain and learn about the Mavic or any quadcopter before taking and major unretrievable risks.
When people register their drone, these first time flier hints should be the first thing that they see.

Hi,

My drone has dived into water in its first flight. It suddenly got disconnected from the remote and made a free fall to the sea. There is no way to retrieve it.

Please find below all my flight records:

Drone Log - Google Drive

I bought the drone from Amazon USA and now located in Istanbul.

Anybody knows what to do?

thanks
berk

Same thing happened to me. Disconnect and plunge. DJI said it wasn't their fault but all flight data showed everything in perfect order. Perfect weather included. If you bought it with an Amex, they will replace it if it was within 30 days.

Today I am receiving my 2nd mavic and guess what, I have to fly it over the sea.
It's our job to film beautiful locations, it happens to be water, it happens not to have time to test. Any quick solution for not sinking?

So you consider yourself "experienced" yet took first flight over the sea knowing theres a chance the drone could be defective like many other electronics in the world............K

I fly mostly over water and in Mexico recently I was flying near the shoreline knowing very well there might be a bird strike anytime , its a risk for sure and I was lucky but I also captured some great video, this is just an example..I have over 20 more mins of beautiful scenery...I would probably guess it was a seagull hit, not intentional , as there are so many when they go fishing, one may have bumped into the Mavic and broke a propeller, I had many close calls like that and I would make sure to move out of the way when I saw group of seagulls coming my way. Line of sight is important .

Reactions: Side Street Rob
Disclaimer: I'm a complete newb and its very possible that I have no idea what I'm talking about here, but is it possible that your take off point was near concrete or metal throwing off your compass? I read about a scenario where this happened (can't recall if it was here or on dji's forums), and in that case it inverted the compass so that when RTH was initiated it was flying away from the RTH point?
Not a chance. The area I was in is called La Perouse. It took us 1/2 hour to hike in and it's over lava rock. Nothing else but shoreline in this area. My battery was secure as well. I have no idea what happened. I've owned 5 different drones and the closest I've ever seen to this phenomenon was when I was flying my drone and got the low battery warning on a Phantom 3 Advanced. Again I was over the ocean (I like coastline shots). I hit RTH and just as it was about to land 2 ft I front of me, I took over the controls without cancelling RTH and it flew up and out to sea. I managed to regain control just before the battery died and it plunged into the shore near the edge of the beach. I wa able to get and pull the battery out before it corroded. I lost the battery but saved the drone. Anyway, I heard this was due to my not cancelling the RTH. Apparently it was heading back to where it was when I initiated the RTH. Strange programming if you ask me. Nevertheless, my Mavic fly away was just bizarre. No reason for the controller to completely lose communication with the drone and drift rather than hover.

I fly mostly over water and in Mexico recently I was flying near the shoreline knowing very well there might be a bird strike anytime , its a risk for sure and I was lucky but I also captured some great video, this is just an example..I have over 20 more mins of beautiful scenery...I would probably guess it was a seagull hit, not intentional , as there are so many when they go fishing, one may have bumped into the Mavic and broke a propeller, I had many close calls like that and I would make sure to move out of the way when I saw group of seagulls coming my way. Line of sight is important .
Nice video! In my situation the camera and gimbal worked perfectly. Only the controller stopped so I was able to see around the drone (also had it in line of sight). There weren't any seagulls...

Heart breaking to loose a MAVIC in any scenario. The guy has come here for advice from fellow enthusiasts in the worst of circumstances and from some has got the I KNOW BETTER. Personally I'd go the attempted retrieval approach. Go to a local dive shop and ask about depths in the area. If shallow and your a competent snorkelist and have a buddy to accompany you it may be possible to attempt using gps. Failing that pay for a diver to go get it. BEST OF LUCK

Sounds like a lot of experienced Mavic Pilots here, so can anyone suggest for us lesser experienced guys what to do if or when this happens to us? IE flying and suddenly lose remote connection and it flies away?

I've never experienced a "flyaway" with my MP but I have with a lesser drone and lost it. A bad experience for sure and I can empathize with anyone who loses a MP!

Two days ago, while flying a 30 minute route in two 15 minute segments, I had an Autopilot app crash leaving my MP hovering at 160 feet in LOS. A bad feeling arises to say the least! This was 5 minutes into segment 2 with 19 minutes of battery showing on the RC. No response from the joysticks. Loaded the "dji go 4" app in hopes of regaining control -- no go.

Minutes pass, the MP continues its steadfast hover. I had time on my side but the feeling of possibly losing it was real. Flying is so much fun but in those moments we all feel joyless.

Here is what saved my Mavic.

SPORT MODE

Slide that beautiful switch forward and fly back to your position like a boss! The sense of relief mixed with excitement and happiness when I yawed the Mavic to face me was immense!

Fly on brothers and good luck!

I've lost a Phantom 2 at sea. The chance of retrieving it is pretty lo. Unless u went out within a few minutes of the crash. Currents drag on the ocean floor. U can drop something in a spot now and 60 Min later it will be 300 ft away. Hope u find it

Today I am receiving my 2nd mavic and guess what, I have to fly it over the sea.
It's our job to film beautiful locations, it happens to be water, it happens not to have time to test. Any quick solution for not sinking?

Yes fly it over the ground and test it first. Fly a few batteries over land first.

Berk, I defiantly feel your pain. I just received my third DJI -- a Mavic. The first was a p1 that I had for six or eight months until one day, while flying near some friends in kayaks, it just went down. Fortunately not over my friends, but unfortunately, over a spot called "the hole" where the water is about 90 feet deep. Bought a p2 and flew that one for probably 4 months and found it had a tick sometimes where it would like loose power for no reason I could determine but usually regained it before falling.....until it didn't. I had regained trust after it had behaved for a while, so I went up to about 400 ft. Murphy paid me a visit and the drone hit the ground hard. Thankfully, DJI rebuilt the drown almost from the ground up at no charge to me. I think they may have determined that there as an anomaly in the flight controller.

Now I have a brand new shinny Mavic, and I am planning to proceed very cautiously. The plan is to spend at least a day or two understanding all the settings and precautions that might help me keep it in the are and return it safely. I guess there is a beginners mode that I plan to use and I will take it somewhere with only soft places to fall for it's maiden flight.

All that being said: I am sooo glad that I didn't hear the kind of responses that were first offered here. Believe me, I know I am ALWAYS only a mistake away from disaster, and I know that no matter how much I know, how much experience I have, or how many precautions I take, I am still only a mistakes distance from a bad outcome. (and the mistake doesn't always have to be mine).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13