DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic flew sideways into palm tree during RTH, why?

flyboycj84

Reactions
Hi, 1st day with a Mavic, and a drone for that matter. Was showing off to my wife the RTH feature.....everything seemed to be working properly until it was hovering over the landing spot on my porch, then then zoomed off sideways over the house and into our palm. Fortunately the palm grabbed it and the Mavic didn'd fall to the ground, so, no damage! But what happened???

Here is the flight.....

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Hi, 1st day with a Mavic, and a drone for that matter. Was showing off to my wife the RTH feature.....everything seemed to be working properly until it was hovering over the landing spot on my porch, then then zoomed off sideways over the house and into our palm. Fortunately the palm grabbed it and the Mavic didn'd fall to the ground, so, no damage! But what happened???

Here is the flight.....

It looked like it was trying to precision land and it was searching for the exact take off spot.

Reactions: flyboycj84
It looked like it was trying to precision land and it was searching for the exact take off spot.

ok, it seemed like it was hovering just fine over the landing spot, but then zoomed 60ft sideways fairly quickly into the tree out front? Should i just RTH it and then manually land in the future?

ok, it seemed like it was hovering just fine over the landing spot, but then zoomed 60ft sideways fairly quickly into the tree out front? Should i just RTH it and then manually land in the future?
I didn't look closely at the log. I only glanced at it. I'm rather a bit busy to analyze flight logs in detail at the moment.

@Robbyg @BudWalker can do just as good, if not better, of an analysis as I can.

Reactions: flyboycj84
Mine did that once in the daytime a long time ago and never again ........Dont know why ....I have had problems at dusk or night with it drifting real bad when hovering,so I go straight up above everything and then straight down and land if I fly at dusk or dark

Mine did that once in the daytime a long time ago and never again ........Dont know why ....I have had problems at dusk or night with it drifting real bad when hovering,so I go straight up above everything and then straight down and land if I fly at dusk or dark

good strategy. it was yesterday evening, with definite cloud cover after the storms went through. thanks

I didn't look closely at the log. I only glanced at it. I'm rather a bit busy to analyze flight logs in detail at the moment.

@Robbyg @BudWalker can do just as good, if not better, of an analysis as I can.
@flyboycj84 I can't add much since I've not used Landing Precision setting. But, I've seen another incident similar to yours that was attributed to use of the Landing Precision setting. I plan to continue not using this feature:)

@flyboycj84 I can't add much since I've not used Landing Precision setting. But, I've seen another incident similar to yours that was attributed to use of the Landing Precision setting. I plan to continue not using this feature:)

Thanks, so it would be advisable to just RTH and then manually land i assume? I have no problem landing it, just wanted to show off, lol.

Thanks, so it would be advisable to just RTH and then manually land i assume? I have no problem landing it, just wanted to show off, lol.
With the exception of showing off, which I've done, I don't use RTH. With RTH you have to depend on the AC making the right decisions which doesn't always work so well.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrayBoz
I use RTH alot but once it get's back and starts down I will hit the RTH button to cancel it and then take over

Reactions: aslan
If you are using RTH then it's advisable that when you take off you actually check on the map that the Location has been correctly recorded.
There is another thread on here about someone initiating RTH who was convinced he had a Fly away.
Turns out the RTH had not been recorded correctly.
Don't just use it blindly.

I always use the return to home mode. (I'm lazy!LOL) But I also climb up to about 30 feet and let the MP hover over the landing spot for about 10 seconds before going out on the flight. I've never had any problems with it working? I also forgot to mention,I fly in a large open area (nothing to hit other than the ground).

Last edited:
First time pilots simply need to stay away from any trees and don't ever "show off". There are too many videos showing lack of common sense which leads to many brand new MP's crashing. We all learn the hard way at times but finding a open field, going slow, waiting for as many GPS sats as possible to lock and there is less chance of error. Best of luck with your next flight!

Here is the flight.....

There was some strong interference where you took off from. It is possible that it encountered the same interference on landing which caused the erratic movement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21