DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic gimbal freak out in sport.

burnheart

Reactions
This happened both yesterday and again today for the first times. I was flying for about 3 or so minutes, then when I switch it into sport mode, the gimbal freaks out and I lose control of it (the camera). Seemed to go back to being fine after I switched out of sport, but did it again after going back to it.

I landed, and then took off again and it was ok in sport, but not sure what was happening here. Anyone got ideas?

For some reason I can't upload the cache video that's on my camera roll here but will post if anyone is curious. The cam flips down at a wide angle, then straight all crooked, then angled upward to the sky.

I'm on here investigating a similar incident that happened to me today. Mid-flight, sport mode, I had just got through panning the gimbal up and was sitting hovering for a few sec when the gimbal goes crazy. It looked like a collision while viewing on the go4 feed, then the gimbal and camera reset completely mid-flight. The mp4 on the sd card stopped immediately before the incident, however the cached video on go4 recorded the first couple seconds of it, then cut out. All camera settings were reset mid-flight, but the drone was able to land fine and continued to fly fine later in the evening with no more gimbal issues.

I thought my drone was crashing when it happened.

Edit: Oh yeah, plus, on the flight record in the go4 app, at the exact moment of this incident, the gimbal pan record (on the right side of the replay, showing how the gimbal was angled during flight) grays-out. Admittedly, I was flying in windy conditions, but after finding so many similar issues from other Mavic pilots, I don't think that was the cause.

I have found the following posts regarding similar incidents:
Camera system resets mid-flight...?
Poll: Has your recording stopped + gimbal reset mid-flight?
Does any one NOT have the filming stop / gimbal reset issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: burnheart
I'm on here investigating a similar incident that happened to me today. Mid-flight, sport mode, I had just got through panning the gimbal up and was sitting hovering for a few sec when the gimbal goes crazy. It looked like a collision while viewing on the go4 feed, then the gimbal and camera reset completely mid-flight. The mp4 on the sd card stopped immediately before the incident, however the cached video on go4 recorded the first couple seconds of it, then cut out. All camera settings were reset mid-flight, but the drone was able to land fine and continued to fly fine later in the evening with no more gimbal issues.

I thought my drone was crashing when it happened.

Edit: Oh yeah, plus, on the flight record in the go4 app, at the exact moment of this incident, the gimbal pan record (on the right side of the replay, showing how the gimbal was angled during flight) grays-out. Admittedly, I was flying in windy conditions, but after finding so many similar issues from other Mavic pilots, I don't think that was the cause.

I have found the following posts regarding similar incidents:
Camera system resets mid-flight...?
Poll: Has your recording stopped + gimbal reset mid-flight?
Does any one NOT have the filming stop / gimbal reset issue?

Yes, this is very close to what mine did, with that left tilted angle and then mine points up to the sky which is sooo scary because it looks like it was hit and it falling. Hm...let me know if you find any answers.

Which firmware are you running? Mine did the same thing several times when I was on .600. I rolled back a few days ago to .400 and hasn't happened since.

I'm not the OP, but yes I'm running whatever the newest version is, assumedly .600. Also, this isn't definite, only based on observation from researching a few threads, but it seems to happen more with machines made in the past couple months, since Feb 2017. Not a definitive conclusion by any means, just something I thought I noticed. This type of gimbal issue has happened once with my machine, which was just purchased a couple weeks ago.

Mine is doing this about every 40-60 minutes of flight time, and I haven't noticed a correlation to sport mode.

Using a couple versions-old firmware.

The gimbal also refuses to be level. When I enter the roll correction, changing the value has a marked effect (like the gimbal was ignoring it completely until I changed it by a step). If I rotate the drone 360 it is super obviously not being level, as the horizon line changes a lot throughout the turn.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine