DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic heavy scratched lenses

konehoMK

Reactions
Hi, well, I offer a drone rental service and its seems that the las client tried to clean the lenses himself after landing several times on dusty ground on a construction site, and I really dont know how he ended scratching the lenses as shown in pictures, I made the charges for the damage (for the whole gimbal/camera replacement part) but the thing is that I really dont want to do that yet, so any help will be appreciated. Thank You.

Marco

syiyDHs.jpg

Reactions: Former Member
Jesus, looks like he used sandpaper to "clean" it. I have no idea how people can treat other peoples stuff with such disregard.

I believe I've seen that ThunderDrones sells the lenses and that they're a bit more than $100. I saw him mention that they're not particularly difficult to fit. I'm sure he'll see this thread and be able to tell you if he still has them.

Jesus, looks like he used sandpaper to "clean" it. I have no idea how people can treat other peoples stuff with such disregard.

I believe I've seen that ThunderDrones sells the lenses and that they're a bit more than $100. I saw him mention that they're not particularly difficult to fit. I'm sure he'll see this thread and be able to tell you if he still has them.

I know, it just sucks, I told him the exactly same, thank you, I'll wait or try to contact

Is there protective film on that lens, if not replace and charge, I would not feel bad to me that's disrespectful to treat her like that. I'd also check everything else really close.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the mention. I sell the replacement lens/camera body (integrated part) for $95 + shipping Paypal. It's not hard to remove, 2 screws on the body, then pry it off, trying not to put any stress on the silver stranded cable, otherwise that part will cost you dearly. There is an indentation at the back of the lens where the silver cable goes in, that's the pry point, move the silver cable out of the way and pry a little but firmly and it will start to pop off. There is glue plus insulation inside, so pry a little on one side then a little on the other side to get it off, and same goes for reinstallation.

Reactions: mnis and konehoMK
OP, do yourself a favor and put at least a CP filter on every drone in your rental fleet. As you know, if a drone lands on a rough surface with gimbal 90° down, its going to get scratched. Better to charge your customer $20 for a filter than $400 or so for a whole gimbal assembly. You make more friends that way. ;)

OP, do yourself a favor and put at least a CP filter on every drone in your rental fleet. As you know, if a drone lands on a rough surface with gimbal 90° down, its going to get scratched. Better to charge your customer $20 for a filter than $400 or so for a whole gimbal assembly. You make more friends that way. ;)

Thank you, I appreciate all responses and I'm gonna do a few tests first as I managed today to polish the lenses in a watch store and the results looks quite good, I'll test tomorrow

So, I managed to polish the lenses today at a watch store for less than $2usd, and the results are quite good, it looks so nice but the green-ish antireflectant coat is gone, buying the uv protector could handle the missing coat? or do you think that the picture quality would be so compromised?
DDzc2xe.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: slo97coupe
You can try some test flights without any filter and see what you get. Then you can add filters if you are having problems with picture quality.

Was the picture fine after polishing? I'm thinking of doing the same since I have lots of micro scratches. Attached picture is taken on a certain angle against light, it doesn't actually look that bad. The scracthes can't be seen on video but I have a lot of sun flare and was wondering if polishing would improve that situation. Absolutely no idea how I got them there in the first place...

mavic lens scratched.PNG

So, I managed to polish the lenses today at a watch store for less than $2usd, and the results are quite good, it looks so nice but the green-ish antireflectant coat is gone, buying the uv protector could handle the missing coat? or do you think that the picture quality would be so compromised?
DDzc2xe.jpg
It is okey after polishing?

Reactions: slo97coupe
DDzc2xe.jpg
hi anyone know its is ok after polish installing a ND Filter

Now that you have removed the scratches, instead of using expensive filters that customers may loose get these from AliExpress to put on the lenses of your Mavic Pro's. They are cheap and replaceable.

NZ$ 5.49 16%OFF | Drone UV Glass Film Lens Protector Protective Film for DJI Mavic Pro HD Camera Lens Glass UV Protective Film
US $3.77 15% OFF|Drone UV Glass Film Lens Protector Protective Film for DJI Mavic Pro HD Camera Lens Glass UV Protective Film-in Len Caps from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose