DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC ISSUES, This time with Tom Tech Time

zvisegal

Reactions
This week I went with Tom Tech Time on Off Road Trip to the dessert in Israel.
One of his targets was reviewing the Mavic Platinum.

No Doubt that Tom is one of the more knowledgeable guys WW and probably one of the most influencers given his very busy channel on You Tube.

Using his iPhone with the latest application and firmware - Guess what ?

The application crashed every few minutes, smart tracking modes did not function as they should, black screen can up every few minutes and finally he almost lost his drone while taking amassing footage of one of the most interesting places. The application crashed while the drone was deep in the wadi and while trying to bring it back, the drone hit the cliff. It was almost dark and the cliff is sloppy, so we had to drive there again the next day to find the drone, which we were lucky to find it. Luckily we had the last minute accurate GPS coordinate using FIND MY DRONE application.

The drone had only few scratches, so we just replaced the props and Tom flew it all day long using this time another tablet with downgraded application and iOS system.

Deferentially the hardware of DJI is great, but the application and software release process just SUCKS...

I hope this time, DJI will consider more seriously to respect itself and its customers, to debug and to clean the application from those bugs so we can turn again this very expensive weight into a leading and functional drone.

Attachments

• IMG_3411.jpg
    IMG_3411.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 381
  • IMG_3464.jpg
    IMG_3464.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 405
  • IMG_3449.jpg
    IMG_3449.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 391
  • IMG_3441.jpg
    IMG_3441.jpg
    918.5 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_3432.jpg
    IMG_3432.jpg
    933.1 KB · Views: 404
I went with Tom Tech Time on Off Road Trip to the dessert

Who?

Deferentially the hardware of DJI is great, but the application and software release process just SUCKS...

Agreed without a doubt mate :(

And this is probably why more and more people are either downgrading, or simply staying in their current versions and not 'upgrading'.

If the DJI GO 4 app keeps crashing, it's because the date is December 2nd or later, and the iPhone hasn't yet been updated to iOS 11.2. Known issue, there are several threads about it. It's an Apple bug, not a DJI problem.

Reactions: jorn and 44BART44
"It is Apple bug, It is Android device..".

How about it is a drone that I cannot fly safely ?

Leading company should release product which works with all platform specified.

DJI released 3-4 versions during November with same release number, each creating new instability.

Bottom line, I have a drone I cannot use.

Reactions: Youser

DJI released 3-4 versions during November with same release number, each creating new instability.

Really? I use mine daily. Why can't you?

By the way, the hardware sucks too. Loose legs, camera issues With blurry edges, bolts rounded... Broken back arms because of sport Mode, etc. DJI has no quality controls. The sw is the other problem. If the App crashes in one of the automatic modes (quickshot, tripod, active track) you Will be unable to take control de again

Reactions: jmitteco
Wow I must be the only guy who has ever bought a Mavic Pro and have not had any pressing issues with the software or hardware. Their hardware and quality control is excellent btw. As for the software...just employ some consistent practices and you will be good to go.

Keep all firmware and software up to date. This includes the apps and your device software i.e. iOS or Android.

Clear your device memory before loading the app. Wait for GPS confirmation and check sensors before takeoff. Do this and you should be fine.

Wow I must be the only guy who has ever bought a Mavic Pro and have not had any pressing issues with the software or hardware. Their hardware and quality control is excellent btw. As for the software...just employ some consistent practices and you will be good to go.

Keep all firmware and software up to date. This includes the apps and your device software i.e. iOS or Android.

Clear your device memory before loading the app. Wait for GPS confirmation and check sensors before takeoff. Do this and you should be fine.
Not the only person who hasn’t had problems with their Mavic, just a different approach to the software. Go4 app works well, but still using 4.08. I don’t want all the bells and whistles later versions have added so sticking with a stable version. Same with firmware. The drone never gets flown if there are any problems with GPS or orientation and the iPad I use is in put into Airplane mode.

I think you're confused. In your original post you say the iPhone app crashed. I responded that you just need to update iOS then you're good to go, it was an Apple bug.

And now you say it's Android? So which one is it?

Anyway, I can use my drone fine with the latest firmware, app and iOS. If you were more specific with the issues you're having, maybe we could help you.

Hardware and quality control excellent? Ask that to owners of first gen Mavic from 2016. was not always the case...
Whatabout 1080@60fps unusable?
Whatabout all buggy versions of DJI app?

Updating a working system is not always the smartest move.

A good consistent practice is: don’t update a running system unless you need the new features.

To whoever ask who is Tom

Yup, that'd be me (and countless others by the looks of things).

he is considered as one of the 3 most knowledgeable and influencers for DJI products.

I don't even know where to begin with that one :)

So, moving on...

just a different approach to the software. Go4 app works well, but still using 4.08. I don’t want all the bells and whistles later versions have added so sticking with a stable version. Same with firmware

Yes, same here mate! For those exact reasons too!!

Fly safe :)

Hardware and quality control excellent? Ask that to owners of first gen Mavic from 2016. was not always the case...
Whatabout 1080@60fps unusable?
Whatabout all buggy versions of DJI app?

Updating a working system is not always the smartest move.

A good consistent practice is: don’t update a running system unless you need the new features.

That is a completely flawed analysis... there are many more things in firmware updates than new features. Improvements to stability and bug fixes are crucial.

Reactions: Daptone
DJI do not perform enough QA on new client app releases and they certainly don't do any kind of regression testing. You only need to look at these forums for proof of that.

Just lately, any new DJI apps = new bugs and new issues to worry about :(

Reactions: JMMY and Freebird32
I have a new alpine white Mavic, most recent Go app and most recent IOS. (iPad mini 2 and iPhone SE) All working perfectly. I have had the odd issue in the past, on Phantoms 2 and 3 but for the most part I keep up to date. I like others tend to wait a few days before upgrading firmware and make an educated decision from feedback I get here before upgrading. If there are issues DJI usually follows up with patch in a timely fashion. Good luck

Reactions: SprayingMango
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid