DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC ISSUES, This time with Tom Tech Time

People love to play the blame game...95% of issues are user error. Failure to keep devices updated...failure to follow proper procedure....

Reactions: Jayfdee
People love to play the blame game...95% of issues are user error. Failure to keep devices updated...failure to follow proper procedure....
Hw problems are not a blame game. For example, phantoms has a case issue, cracks are very common with normal use. The mavic, has camera blurry edges issues, loose legs after 10 flights.
The back arms has a design problem. Only 1 screw keep the arm in place, with a 0.5mm metal plate.

By the way, the hardware sucks too. Loose legs, camera issues With blurry edges, bolts rounded... Broken back arms because of sport Mode, etc. DJI has no quality controls. The sw is the other problem. If the App crashes in one of the automatic modes (quickshot, tripod, active track) you Will be unable to take control de again
I have to agree on the build quality. Mine had one front leg that had apparent fatigue and actually bent when it landed.
The batteries would not insert cleanly they required finagling to get seated and even then felt like they were on the cusp and not quite secure.
Decided to continue flying my MP and sent teh MPP back to get a P4P.
By the way - I don't hear the Phantom folks complaining about app seizures - or am I just not seeing them?

I have to agree on the build quality. Mine had one front leg that had apparent fatigue and actually bent when it landed.
The batteries would not insert cleanly they required finagling to get seated and even then felt like they were on the cusp and not quite secure.
Decided to continue flying my MP and sent teh MPP back to get a P4P.
By the way - I don't hear the Phantom folks complaining about app seizures - or am I just not seeing them?
All the drones with the same design as phantom, has the same issue. The autel xstar, p3, p4.
Look in Google for "p4 crack"

Under the motor too.
The only advantage with the mavic is that it is easier to repair yourself.
Be careful with dji repairing warranty. They send refurbished. Mavics, so, maybe you will never see the same mavic again.

All the drones with the same design as phantom, has the same issue. The autel xstar, p3, p4.
Look in Google for "p4 crack"

Under the motor too.
The only advantage with the mavic is that it is easier to repair yourself.
Be careful with dji repairing warranty. They send refurbished. Mavics, so, maybe you will never see the same mavic again.
I'm aware of the P4 cracking issues - mostly seems like a "squeaky wheel syndrome" as most people don't have issues. None of the P4 pilots here have had this issue and they fly theirs a LOT being commercial 107 with a business.

I'm aware of the P4 cracking issues - mostly seems like a "squeaky wheel syndrome" as most people don't have issues. None of the P4 pilots here have had this issue and they fly theirs a LOT being commercial 107 with a business.
I have a phantom 3, and I have discovered, that 1 crack visible, means almost 3 inside te case. The problem with plastic cases is the torque.

Wow I must be the only guy who has ever bought a Mavic Pro and have not had any pressing issues with the software or hardware. Their hardware and quality control is excellent btw. As for the software...just employ some consistent practices and you will be good to go.

Keep all firmware and software up to date. This includes the apps and your device software i.e. iOS or Android.

Clear your device memory before loading the app. Wait for GPS confirmation and check sensors before takeoff. Do this and you should be fine.

Nope, you're not alone. I've never had any problems with either the SW or hardware. I flew my drone indoors just yesterday. I know it's not every case but it sure seems like when there's a problem it's someone with an old phone, non updated firmware, non updated app, etc. I update every time I'm prompted and I've never had an issue. In fact, I just updated my S8+ before checking my email and seeing this post.

Nope, you're not alone. I've never had any problems with either the SW or hardware. I flew my drone indoors just yesterday. I know it's not every case but it sure seems like when there's a problem it's someone with an old phone, non updated firmware, non updated app, etc. I update every time I'm prompted and I've never had an issue. In fact, I just updated my S8+ before checking my email and seeing this post.
Ummm no. In fact if you really read the forums people would love to go back to plain old .400 because it worked and didn't get in your way.
According to you we'd all have to have the latest and greatest or it won't fly properly.
I'd submit that if any given firmware was that good then there would be no need for constant updates - they are not all no-fly updates or features.
The reason they do updates is because of folks having issues. It's no accident that there are cries of pain after some updates - DJI can and does bork things on occasion.
Right now Phantom pilots are regretting the latest 1.4 update.
Admittedly I have wondered why people complain about a particular update in the past - but until you get bitten you can't appreciate the aggravation.

Reactions: Robbyg
I have to admit i’ve had maybe 1 problem with my MAVIC, and the time its when I used the advanced features, in hindsight my S7 was likely the culprit because my ram was full, I had tons of apps still working in background, when I fixed my phone, I never experienced a problem again. I think some MAVICS, Phantoms quality might not be perfect hence some of the problems occuring but most are user errors.It does suck to keep updating the MAVIC but in my mind its essential, I think you’re looking for trouble keeping old firmware when your phones get updated , just my thoughts..

So, I fly and have no problems, update FW and now I can't see flight data using reader I used before, update DJIGo and it's unstable now. How is this the phone's fault or mine? I go back to older versions everything is okay, seems the phone works fine and because I fixed my problem by going back, turns out not user error.

So, I fly and have no problems, update FW and now I can't see flight data using reader I used before, update DJIGo and it's unstable now. How is this the phone's fault or mine? I go back to older versions everything is okay, seems the phone works fine and because I fixed my problem by going back, turns out not user error.
What phone are you using

Tom is very prolific on youtube, and very knowledgeable, yes he talks too quickly, and has a quirky presentation style, but overall I enjoy his output.
So far I have owned a P2V+, I still have my P4, and my Mavic, and have had zero problems over circa 300 flights. I fly very carefully and conservatively, but have flown long distance out over water in a safe area. I do upgrade eventually, when I think it is safe.
Tom is a good guy.

Reactions: superdave5050
Who?

Agreed without a doubt mate :(

And this is probably why more and more people are either downgrading, or simply staying in their current versions and not 'upgrading'.

Heck ya, why fall into the abyss? With the millions of users, many of which are very skilled and good observers, why not release BETA versions for field testing before dumping on public with no way to recover. Just don't get why they don't see what that does to their credibility.

By the way, the hardware sucks too. Loose legs, camera issues With blurry edges, bolts rounded... Broken back arms because of sport Mode, etc. DJI has no quality controls. The sw is the other problem. If the App crashes in one of the automatic modes (quickshot, tripod, active track) you Will be unable to take control de again
With such bad luck... maybe you should try a different product line....

Reactions: sebastian.bilbao
Ummm no. In fact if you really read the forums people would love to go back to plain old .400 because it worked and didn't get in your way.
According to you we'd all have to have the latest and greatest or it won't fly properly.
I'd submit that if any given firmware was that good then there would be no need for constant updates - they are not all no-fly updates or features.
The reason they do updates is because of folks having issues. It's no accident that there are cries of pain after some updates - DJI can and does bork things on occasion.
Right now Phantom pilots are regretting the latest 1.4 update.
Admittedly I have wondered why people complain about a particular update in the past - but until you get bitten you can't appreciate the aggravation.

That's fair enough, I guess. I purchased mine when it came out and have had zero problems. Maybe I'm due, I guess we'll see.

Their hardware and quality control is excellent btw.
The design is good, but the production quality control is terrible. They have no outgoing inspection process, and no hardware test process before packing. You know they boot the craft and link the RC, so while they have the drone turned on and linked, why don't they take an extra minute and test a few things on the craft before turning it off, like do a sanity check on the gimbal to insure it's functional with no humming or odd behavior? There are many things they could check before packing, taking only a minute, if they only cared more about outgoing quality. It would certainly reduce many of the DOAs (defective on arrival) and reduce the returns to DJI for warranty repair.

I don't know if any of you have owned drones from other companies, I have, and let's just say that you've got it pretty good here, trust me.

I have one of the very first MPs shipped last January with 144 flights on it. I'm sorry others are disappointed, but I am mightily impressed.

I have always upgraded both the drone and the Go4 app whenever requested. I have had no problems worth complaining about. My app has never once crashed. My camera produces some of the best quality images I've seen in an entire career as a video production engineer.

Updates have reset my preferences and one confused my obstacle avoidance sensors. All I had to do was review my preferences and calibrate the VPS. My Mavic has shrugged off pilot errors and collisions that would have completely destroyed a lesser quality build and it has never failed to perform exactly as touted.

I somehow doubt these forums are a true gauge of the typical Mavic owner's experience. Many of us here seem to be a bit demanding of a thousand dollar piece of equipment. This is pro-sumer electronic device not a piece of high-end gear.

Did DJI perhaps ship drones that were sub par and not thoroughly tested to meet our early demands? Probably. And I'm betting those are the ones getting all the negative attention.

I don't know if any of you have owned drones from other companies, I have, and let's just say that you've got it pretty good here, trust me.
I'd agree for the most part, although it does seem things are getting sloppier. I just had two platinums in a row that had issues - my old Mavic is rock solid even after repairs from a crash.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb