DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic lost help- lost RC signal

Final insult: here are the body angles over the last 3 seconds. Looks like it was rolling over at least 3 times; while rotating in heading at least 2 or 3 times.

All this at 20 km/hr? I wouldn't rule out that it fell to the ground - it was dynamic right to the end...

I'd even keep in mind that it may have flown off if it managed to bounce off of the building.
upload_2017-3-11_16-25-44.png

I was looking at the same thing, but from another perspective, in the patch to the south of his home point the attenuation would not have been so bad.
The view looks pretty poor when you're right over the takeoff point about 6 foot above the ground.

Rendering.jpg

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Thanks a lot for your help and your time guys, so from what I gather then it really could have fallen all the way down to the pavement or gone anywhere :(

I will try to look in the hotel again tomorrow, but am not feeling lucky. Its such a shame as I only had it for about a month

Thanks a lot for your help and your time guys, so from what I gather then it really could have fallen all the way down to the pavement or gone anywhere :(

I will try to look in the hotel again tomorrow, but am not feeling lucky. Its such a shame as I only had it for about a month
Get a trackimo next time. :)

The view looks pretty poor when you're right over the takeoff point about 6 foot above the ground.

View attachment 8267

I know, but as we say in golf, trees are mostly air from the POV of a golf ball. (Tell me about bad rendering, huh? ;) ). Also, it's winter - the trees may have been bare? @d2fino ?

I've done far worse tree wise, it seems. (Seems - the ground truth is always something else...)

Btw if you dont mind, can I ask what tools/sites you are using to plot these nice graphs, seems quite useful if* i get a new mavic

Finally, If i dont recover the Mavic, what chances do you think I will have with DJI based on your findings, I know it seems like a pilot error but it doesnt seem right to me to loose the RC link dont you think that could be classed as a device malfunction?

Finally, If i dont recover the Mavic, what chances do you think I will have with DJI based on your findings, I know it seems like a pilot error but it doesnt seem right to me to loose the RC link dont you think that could be classed as a device malfunction?
Based on the available data, it looks like pilot error to me. @msinger? @AlanTheBeast?

Btw if you dont mind, can I ask what tools/sites you are using to plot these nice graphs, seems quite useful if* i get a new mavic

Once you upload your txt file to whatever page you like (Healthy Drones or in this case Phantom Log Viewer) you can download the KML and CSV files. The KML will show in Google Earth where you can render the graphics, and I use the CSV's in Excel so I can compute other data or draw graphs. That's how I could see quickly that the last second rate of fall was constant at 6 m/s, for example.

Once you upload your txt file to whatever page you like (Healthy Drones or in this case Phantom Log Viewer) you can download the KML and CSV files. The KML will show in Google Earth where you can render the graphics, and I use the CSV's in Excel so I can compute other data or draw graphs. That's how I could see quickly that the last second rate of fall was constant at 6 m/s, for example.
You could use CSVview? ;).

I know it seems like a pilot error but it doesnt seem right to me to loose the RC link dont you think that could be classed as a device malfunction?
I doubt it since they are going to think you were flying behind two rows of trees. Also, you'll need to explain to them why you manually steered the Mavic into the side of the building.

Reactions: willhay555
I doubt it since they are going to think you were flying behind two rows of trees. Also, you'll need to explain to them why you manually steered the Mavic into the side of the building.

I was behind some trees indeed but I had good signal, and I think i got too close to the building which was partly my fault, but I was hoping to fight them on the basis that the mavi lost the RC connection and then i could not do anything anymore and why it didnt return home even if I accepted the prompt to do so.

I had bought DJI care refresh and that is supposed to cover me for accidents such as this, the only problem is that it dissappeared into nowhere :(

I was hoping to fight them on the basis that the mavi lost the RC connection and then i could not do anything anymore and why it didnt return home even if I accepted the prompt to do so
According to your flight log, the Mavic did not lose the RC connection until after it crashed.

Based on the available data, it looks like pilot error to me. @msinger? @AlanTheBeast?

Ah crap. You had to ask, eh?

Regrettably, yes. It's plausible that the aircraft is at fault, but the chain of errors says elsewise IMO.

1. Confined area takeoff (is that area to the south still open - I would have moved to the middle of that, at least). Only 9 sats at takeoff due to masking - pretty poor position.

2. Compass calibration error and calibration. It's not clear to me that this was needed at all. Just move away from the disturbance. Takeoff from reinforced concrete would exacerbate that perhaps?

3. Situational awareness? You detected a left-bank stick or left yaw stick near the end (I don't understand all of the data in the CSV's either esp. the stick position stuff).

Did we ever determine the wind direction and speed?

I don't see a RTH in the recorded data from any source but the RTH position was armed and is the same as the t/o point throughout the flight.

4. Masked RC signal? You raised that. I don't believe it looks so bad and there were no such messages in the log - but it's plausible.

Actually, let's be clear about what pilot error is. Pilot error is a pilot who is trained and able to prepare and control the a/c from start to end and knows how to handle the unexpected when it comes up but somehow fails.

In d2fino's case I suspect he's a "newbie" who attempted something too ambitious before being ready to do so. Pilot error by definition but not by tradition of trained pilots.

I have nothing against "self training" as long as it isn't my surgeon or airline pilot ... but in doing self training one has to recognize their limits and practice in very open areas with as much preparation as possible.

The sort of flight d2fino attempted is simply illegal in Canada for at least 2 reasons, maybe more. One could get an SFOC but it would be a one-shot deal after a lot of bureaucratic hand wringing.

Note that while we smugly gaze on here at the recent spat of lost drones and crashes due to poor checklists and newbie expectations I doubt that we're seeing 1% of all MP owners. Imagine what's going on. I almost expect to find dead Mavics all over to canibalize for parts... maybe there is an upside.:confused:

We all have the same license.

And THAT is the problem with new drone pilots.

These drones are getting more and more capable per dropping dollar price and DJI (et al) marketing material is making it look like an extension to ones iPhone.

Sorry - you asked for it and I go into rant mode quite easily!

Reactions: d2fino
In every country there is miles and miles of lovely open space, i really don't know why people feel the need to fly in heavily obstructed locations, especially new pilots.

I really want to feel sorry for you but i feel i just can't.

All i can say is i hope your mavic didn't fall on someone :(

Hi,

Yeah I did kind of expect these sort of responses, hence I added a P.S note when I opened this thread and also the reason why I was hesitant to ask for help from the beginning.

I totally take all criticism onboard, and I have learnt from this expensive mistake the tough way.

I think from my short experience flying it, you quickly feel at ease and get a false sense of confidence which is probably why I felt more adventurous and less cautious, and yeah am thankful it was not worse.

I do appreciate all your help and all constructive criticism and hope that it may help other newbies to be more careful as well [emoji106]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas