DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Maven or Litchi - Best VR Headset?

toddlaroche

Reactions
Does anyone have experience using the app, Maven for DJI drones with their Mavic Air 2? Is Litchi a better or preferred app for an Air 2? And does anybody recommend a particular VR headset for using with these apps? I’m considering the BNext headset now.

The problem with a VR headset is how to make changes to the flight app functions without taking the headset off and playing with the phone. You could use a blue tooth pointer but that doesn't work very well.

I agree with @Iannes, but one good feature with the BNext style of headset, is that you can leave the goggles on and slide the phone holder out to access the phone display if needed. If you can't see your phone's display well enough to make adjustments, just lift the headset up on your forehead for the few seconds needed.

Most third party VR apps allow you the customize a button (or two) to switch between seeing VR and then over to your phones camera view to see your immediate surroundings while wearing the headset.

I don't have an Air 2 so can't advise on what app would be best for you and your needs. They offer several different features unique to each, like auto pano vs co-pilot etc. Check out their features to see what you prefer. I have the Mavic Mini and bought both apps and switch between them. These 3rd party apps take the mini to an entirely different level.

Does anyone have experience using the app, Maven for DJI drones with their Mavic Air 2? Is Litchi a better or preferred app for an Air 2? And does anybody recommend a particular VR headset for using with these apps? I’m considering the BNext headset now.
Just a third suggestion.... DroneVr has a fighter pilot style HUID and is fully controllable while wearing the headset.... you push one of the programable buttons on your controller to enter the menu while hovering and the right stick navigates menu. Once you are done then you can resume flight using both sticks. Its a slick app with control over pupal distance, and many other factors that hurt your FPV experience. The higher your phone's resolution, the better the image.

Reactions: jake20934
Just a third suggestion.... DroneVr has a fighter pilot style HUID and is fully controllable while wearing the headset.... you push one of the programable buttons on your controller to enter the menu while hovering and the right stick navigates menu. Once you are done then you can resume flight using both sticks. Its a slick app with control over pupal distance, and many other factors that hurt your FPV experience. The higher your phone's resolution, the better the image.

Sounds interesting. What type of goggles would you need and how would one set it up with something like a Mavic 2? Would you be in Go4 while using it? I have absolute zero knowledge of goggles, gaming or anything of the sort. Would you mind explaining it to me like you'd explain it to your 8 year old nephew on what he needs and how to use it? TIA

Sounds interesting. What type of goggles would you need and how would one set it up with something like a Mavic 2? Would you be in Go4 while using it? I have absolute zero knowledge of goggles, gaming or anything of the sort. Would you mind explaining it to me like you'd explain it to your 8 year old nephew on what he needs and how to use it? TIA
I have a cheap set of googles that work with it....that I bought for $10 on eBay. Find ones that offer a large field of view. Mine are supposedly 120 degree.... however 100 to 110 degree field of view is more typical. The app and many other people recommend Homidio 2 glasses for their quality but they are much more expensive.

As for what you need.... that is about it. You need a long cord that connects your phone to your controller because the phone is now on your face. I actually set up the DroveVr while sitting in my house with the drone on a table because you need to adjust a few things to give yourself a good image. When you fly bring a chair too sit in because it is very disorienting at first and you will be wobbly if you stand. Legally you need a spotter to maintain VLOS.... sight to the drone.

The temptation will be to fly it off to get the full experience, but instead you want to get your bird in the air high enough to keep it out of trouble in a big empty field, hover and learn to control the menus while the goggles are on your face.

Once you have done that, then start by doing some simple flights, again making sure that you are high enough that you can do banking turns and fly without worrying about hitting anything. As you get more comfortable, then you can move to more complex flights. Just remember that the way to get out of trouble is the same as when you are flying with the googles off.... take your hands off the sticks and think about what to do before moving forward again. There is always a drive to fly your way out of trouble but that's really the way to put your drone in a tree.

Litchi and Maven can be simpler as you can program Waypoints as well and just be a first person passenger while the drone follows a preprogramed route. DroneVR is designed to give you the full command experience and I find its best flown in sport mode so you can really get the feel of flight... but you need to start slow with any of the three apps.

Reactions: Verdrone
Yes I'm using Maven for MA2 while I was using Litchi for MA1. I still prefer Litchi, smoother and based on GPS data, but Maven so far works very well

I have a cheap set of googles that work with it....that I bought for $10 on eBay. Find ones that offer a large field of view. Mine are supposedly 120 degree.... however 100 to 110 degree field of view is more typical. The app and many other people recommend Homidio 2 glasses for their quality but they are much more expensive.

As for what you need.... that is about it. You need a long cord that connects your phone to your controller because the phone is now on your face. I actually set up the DroveVr while sitting in my house with the drone on a table because you need to adjust a few things to give yourself a good image. When you fly bring a chair too sit in because it is very disorienting at first and you will be wobbly if you stand. Legally you need a spotter to maintain VLOS.... sight to the drone.

The temptation will be to fly it off to get the full experience, but instead you want to get your bird in the air high enough to keep it out of trouble in a big empty field, hover and learn to control the menus while the goggles are on your face.

Once you have done that, then start by doing some simple flights, again making sure that you are high enough that you can do banking turns and fly without worrying about hitting anything. As you get more comfortable, then you can move to more complex flights. Just remember that the way to get out of trouble is the same as when you are flying with the googles off.... take your hands off the sticks and think about what to do before moving forward again. There is always a drive to fly your way out of trouble but that's really the way to put your drone in a tree.

Litchi and Maven can be simpler as you can program Waypoints as well and just be a first person passenger while the drone follows a preprogramed route. DroneVR is designed to give you the full command experience and I find its best flown in sport mode so you can really get the feel of flight... but you need to start slow with any of the three apps.
Thank you. But "think about it" means that you expect that I have some sort of familiarity with the existence of the equipment involved. I have none. Zero. Zip. Nada. My entire experience to gaming is Pong 45 years ago. I did get a Nintendo machine for my kids 30 years ago with one game that I disconnected after a month because I wanted them doing other stuff. I have a general idea of what VR goggles are, but other than putting them on your face like ski goggles I have no idea of how they work, how they connect to a phone. Which specific models will work for this application. Prices. Extras needed like cables, even batteries. As I said, explain it to me like you'd teach an 8 year old who has never seen any of this before. How about we start with links to what equipment might be necessary to get started. I know a lot of stuff, but as far as goggles and gaming, VR and the like I am ground zero.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard