DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini’s filling up the flyaway topic page.

If you go into settings on the app and select “threshold setting” you can set the parameters for each one of the indicators.

Many thanks. I will need to switch to imperial units but it's at least something I can guide myself after.

So if it loses connection to the controller, it doesn't automatically RTH?

Soooo true.
The wife and I just had dinner with a couple and he has been doing rc car racing for years. He told me he got a drone and when I asked him about it, he knew nothing about registering, FAA rules, absolutely nothing. When I got home I looked it up and it weighs almost two pounds...
I think the biggest problem with this hobby right now is the same as alot of other things currently, lack of EDUCATION!
If only more people new about this and or these forums.Maybe the sales force out there could or should suggest these forums.

So if it loses connection to the controller, it doesn't automatically RTH?
Under the default settings, the drone will initiate RTH soon after losing signal.
But it may not return if the return path is blocked by an obstacle, the wind is too strong for the drone to fly against or there is insufficient battery power and the drone is too far away.

Reactions: Thomas B
I joined in here fully expecting to be a dron owner in several weeks. I still don't own one. Honestly not sure I want to. I'm just a guy who wants to fly for fun, take some movies while cruising on a boat. Not ever going to earn $1 or be competitive, etc. In between trying to understand the laws, changing laws, where can I fly, where can't I fly, no fly zones everytime Trump comes to Florida, it has taken a lot of the anticipated fun out of it. Just not sure it is worth the hassle. For me at least, I have other hobbies as well. Just though adding this one on would be relatively easy and fun. Just not sure that's true.
You REALLY should go ahead and get a Mini. You will not be disappointed, and will have a ton of fun, plus be able to take incredible photos and videos. Don't worry about all the negative stuff, as that's almost all really blown out of proportion, and most of it won't ever even come into play for you. Just get the **** Mini, take it easy with it the first couple weeks, as you get used to it, and have a blast! It is incredibly easy to fly, and takes incredible photos and videos!

That app is telling you that with the the default options, it is not recommended to fly.
And the default values don't all make sense.
But you can change everything in the preferences.
The temperature (RED) is the major factor in the recommendation shown.
Lots of the default values are not really appropriate.
You can completely ignore Kp Index, Cloud Cover and Sats Locked as none of those make any difference to your flying.

** Actual GPS sats do, but the numbers showing in UAV data aren't correct.
Wherever you fly, you'll always have more than enough sats if you are out in the open with a clear sky view.

KP index can definitely have an effect if it's very high, 5 or greater, which doesn't happen often. It's a measure of geomagnetic storm activity which can affect compass and GPS. But more likely to have an effect at higher latitudes than lower.

I did a flight back in Nov 2017 with my Mavic Pro in an area I fly frequently with no problems. It's a wide open space, no wifi or anything that could cause interference, wind was calm. I launched with 14 satellites locked and received no error messages until I was about 200 feet out and 100 feet in the air. Then I started to get compass errors and had major problems trying to keep it in control. It was drifting, response to stick input was sluggish and erratic. I finally managed to get it back on the ground without crashing and when I uploaded the logs to Airdata later, it turns out the KP index at the time of the flight was 6.5. Ever since then, I check the KP index before flying. But I don't rely on UAV Forecast because it's just a forecast, it doesn't report the current conditions. I use this instead:

KP index can definitely have an effect if it's very high, 5 or greater, which doesn't happen often. It's a measure of geomagnetic storm activity which can affect compass and GPS. But more likely to have an effect at higher latitudes than lower.

I did a flight back in Nov 2017 with my Mavic Pro in an area I fly frequently with no problems. It's a wide open space, no wifi or anything that could cause interference, wind was calm. I launched with 14 satellites locked and received no error messages until I was about 200 feet out and 100 feet in the air. Then I started to get compass errors and had major problems trying to keep it in control. It was drifting, response to stick input was sluggish and erratic. I finally managed to get it back on the ground without crashing and when I uploaded the logs to Airdata later, it turns out the KP index at the time of the flight was 6.5. Ever since then, I check the KP index before flying. But I don't rely on UAV Forecast because it's just a forecast, it doesn't report the current conditions. I use this instead:

You are assuming that correlation implies causation. In this case it almost certainly doesn't. I have not seen a single piece of evidence that indicates any measurable effect on DJI flight control systems.

KP index can definitely have an effect if it's very high, 5 or greater, which doesn't happen often.
... I uploaded the logs to Airdata later, it turns out the KP index at the time of the flight was 6.5.
If the Kp Index myths were at all true, when one drone was affected, hundreds or thousands would be and we'd have plenty of evidence..
But there has never been a verifiable drone incident that can legitimately be attributed to a high KP index.

I've flown in Kp = 8 a number of times without a problem and noted that the forums didn't have any unusual incidents reported by others as well.

Coming back on the topic I've looked into one of the flyaway classifieds where someone reported a flyaway drone.

Allow me to present you with another example.To my surprise when he lost it, it max flying with the maximum altitude of 500m.
1578554785287.png

At this height the pilot was unable to see it and the RC signal was lost. The drone had 76% of battery left and the wind could have carried it very far from that point.

If the Kp Index myths were at all true, when one drone was affected, hundreds or thousands would be and we'd have plenty of evidence..
But there has never been a verifiable drone incident that can legitimately be attributed to a high KP index.

I've flown in Kp = 8 a number of times without a problem and noted that the forums didn't have any unusual incidents reported by others as well.

The KP index has only hit 8 or higher during 7 three hour periods in the last ten years so that's quite the coincidence you just happened to be flying during several of those spikes.

The KP index has only hit 8 or higher during 7 three hour periods in the last ten years so that's quite the coincidence you just happened to be flying during several of those spikes.
Not a coincidence at all.
I purposely did it and monitored drone forum reports as well during those times.
And I couldn't find anyone having problems with it.

I don't think that's the main issue.

Information online is a bit conflicting with people praising its wind ability, uploading videos where they are using a leaf blower without moving it and complaints about how DJI is overly cautious about wind warnings. I read a ton and got the impression that you have to be careful but it probably isn't that bad. That was until I felt how light it is and saw three experienced pilots publish today how their Minis just blew away.

The warning should be more like:

No, for real. This drone is extremely vulnerable to wind and here are 10 experienced pilots losing their Mini. Don't fly when it warns you. Period.

The DJI Fly app gives high wind warnings if the drone detects a fart within a 5-mile area. I can't say I blame pilots for not taking it seriously. The app cries wolf and this is the result.

You REALLY should go ahead and get a Mini. You will not be disappointed, and will have a ton of fun, plus be able to take incredible photos and videos. Don't worry about all the negative stuff, as that's almost all really blown out of proportion, and most of it won't ever even come into play for you. Just get the **** Mini, take it easy with it the first couple weeks, as you get used to it, and have a blast! It is incredibly easy to fly, and takes incredible photos and videos!

Thanks for the comments. If I do pull the trigger it will be a MP2. Although...I heard a rumor of a rumor on Innuendo.com which was a post from a guy who heard a friend say that his garbageman's neighbor told him that his brother knew for a fact that the MP3 would be here in January...or July...not sure which year but definitely coming......sorry...that was a joke. Been reading in here too much. Oh, and Trump is back this weekend. Mar a Lago is 30 miles away but I have to log in with the Secret Service to go get gas in the car down the street. Waiting on my firstborn son to get here though. I have to turn him over as well. [deleted by Moderator], where did I put my passport??

I've seen the fail-safe setting in Fly either on iOS or Android, but only before getting the MM. After that I've not seen the setting since having connected the MM. I'll check again, since there have been firmware and app updates.

Sure, fail-safe setting is stored in the AC, but it takes the app to get there. Remember the RTH altitude issue?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captainhook