DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 1 upgrade to Mavic Mini 2?? Need advice

Walshie

Reactions
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can help me decide on whether to upgrade my MM1 to a MM2?

Basically I won a competition today for a MM1 fly more combo + GoPro Hero 9 bundle (I took a £900 cash alternative). Straight away I thought I'll buy the MM2 with the money and couldn't wait to order it.

But I already own a MM1, I fly it probably once every two weeks for about an hour. I'm not (or not trying to be) a photography, I just like flying it around for fun and taking a few photos of new things. Some turn out good, some don't - I've never printed any out, they just live on my PC and I occasionally / rarely look at them.

After the adrenaline rush of winning had worn off, I decided I'd take a look at the reviews especially the "Is it worth upgrading to a MM2" and I now have mixed feelings. Afterall the MM2 fly more combo is £550 plus DJI care, so I'd be looking at £600 - it got me wondereding if I use it enough to justify that?

I've always love going further / seeing more etc. so the 10km range is the main appeal with the MM2. But the MM1 goes far enough and legally I shouldn't be going as far as I sometime do anyway. If I am travelling to see something worth taking photos of, then I'll generally be within 1km of it, so maybe the extra distance isn't needed?

I'm basically asking peoples opinions who have upgraded / thinking of upgrading. Any advise would be great.

....After typing this I think I'm taking myself out of the upgrade ?

Cheers
Chris

Reactions: The General
I upgraded from my 8 month old first drone the Mavic Mini.
When it’s cold out, I like to sit in my vehicle, much better not using wifi.
I like to get close to wildlife without disturbing them, better with the Mini 2 as it is quieter and the zoom feature is helpful.
Handles the wind much better.
I don’t really care about RAW images.
Apart from being unable to purchase extra batteries, I’m glad I upgraded.
Nobody is lining up to purchase my 8 month old MM1.

I was like you, I barely used my mavic mini 1. I barely flew it when I had it and that was mainly because of the CE WIFI Signal, poor wind handling and meh 2.7k footage. Since I got the mini 2, I have been flying it at every single opportunity I get. I just love the OcuSycn 2.0 and how it allows me to fly my drone and enjoy the experience. I feel like I can use it to have fun, explore the world around me and take great photos and videos without being tied down by the crap WIFI signal in CE mode. I'd totally upgrade to the Mini 2 if I were in your shoes, it's the perfect hobbyist drone.

I was like you, I barely used my mavic mini 1. I barely flew it when I had it and that was mainly because of the CE WIFI Signal, poor wind handling and meh 2.7k footage. Since I got the mini 2, I have been flying it at every single opportunity I get. I just love the OcuSycn 2.0 and how it allows me to fly my drone and enjoy the experience. I feel like I can use it to have fun, explore the world around me and take great photos and videos without being tied down by the crap WIFI signal in CE mode. I'd totally upgrade to the Mini 2 if I were in your shoes, it's the perfect hobbyist drone.
That's exactly why I don't fly it too much now. Really considering it again now. Will sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

I’m in US so don’t know your currency equivalent, but didn’t you win almost enough to buy a MA2 Fly More? If you have to pay just a little over your winnings, you might not notice it in 2 months. Of course, I don’t know your financial situation. Best wishes whatever!

Reactions: Walshie
I’m in US so don’t know your currency equivalent, but didn’t you win almost enough to buy a MA2 Fly More?
I did, but promised I'd treat my wife and daughter a little more at Christmas ......easiest option for an easy life ?

But to be honest I also wanted to stay under the 250g due to the legislations in the UK. It's not much to register a drone, but it is just a hobby at the minute and having a young family I don't get to use the drone enough to buy a MA2 and register, take tests etc.

Really looking forward to flying the Mini 2 now, if all goes well and I start getting out more then I'll definitely be looking towards the MA2

Cheers
Chris

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can help me decide on whether to upgrade my MM1 to a MM2?

Basically I won a competition today for a MM1 fly more combo + GoPro Hero 9 bundle (I took a £900 cash alternative). Straight away I thought I'll buy the MM2 with the money and couldn't wait to order it.

But I already own a MM1, I fly it probably once every two weeks for about an hour. I'm not (or not trying to be) a photography, I just like flying it around for fun and taking a few photos of new things. Some turn out good, some don't - I've never printed any out, they just live on my PC and I occasionally / rarely look at them.

After the adrenaline rush of winning had worn off, I decided I'd take a look at the reviews especially the "Is it worth upgrading to a MM2" and I now have mixed feelings. Afterall the MM2 fly more combo is £550 plus DJI care, so I'd be looking at £600 - it got me wondereding if I use it enough to justify that?

I've always love going further / seeing more etc. so the 10km range is the main appeal with the MM2. But the MM1 goes far enough and legally I shouldn't be going as far as I sometime do anyway. If I am travelling to see something worth taking photos of, then I'll generally be within 1km of it, so maybe the extra distance isn't needed?

I'm basically asking peoples opinions who have upgraded / thinking of upgrading. Any advise would be great.

....After typing this I think I'm taking myself out of the upgrade ?

Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris I am probably a bit late but here’s a list of the improvements that I have seen on YouTube videos comparing the MM to the new Mini 2:
1. OcuSync 2.0
2. Better wind resistance scale 5. 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr). New motors Gusts upto 23.5 mph
3. Digital zoom feature. Up to 4 times.
4. 31 minute battery.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
7. Better props (not so flexible).
8. Top speed up from 29 mph to 36 mph (46- 58 Km/hr).
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps which gives a better image on your phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
13. Can use Smart controller with it.
14. Shoots photos in RAW now.
15. Still under 249 grams
16. 4K Hyperlapse
17. Battery smart discharge feature.
18. Customisable button.
19. Lipo battery not Lion like Mini 1
20. Better angle for flying into wind
21. Lighter than Mini 1 at reported 242 grams.
22. Improved Quickshots. Dronie goes back further etc
23. Pano added
24. Front light (different colours available).
25. The remote works with the Mavic Air 2 as well.
26. Uses 3 satellite systems. The European Galileo is now available should give better GPS lock.

Hi Oldguy,

Maybe late but still appreciate the reply!

I bought the Mini 2 and I love it, just everything about it! I even sold me Mavic Mini for £360 so there is still demand there to get rid of the old one!

I didn't know that the Mini 2 controller also works with the MA2 .....got me thinking if I can buy a drone only MA2 now too ?

Thanks again and have a good weekend!

Chris

Hi Chris I am probably a bit late but here’s a list of the improvements that I have seen on YouTube videos comparing the MM to the new Mini 2:
1. OcuSync 2.0
2. Better wind resistance scale 5. 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr). New motors Gusts upto 23.5 mph
4. 31 minute battery.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps which gives a better image on your phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
16. 4K Hyperlapse
18. Customisable button.
23. Pano added
26. Uses 3 satellite systems. The European Galileo is now available should give better GPS lock.
MM2 not compatible with SC yet, though because MM2 has OS2, potential is there.

100Mbps wasn't needed on MM1 because it didn't record in 4K. MM2 only uses the 100Mbs rate in 4K. Lower resolutions are around 40Mbs.

1. OcuSync 2.0
4. 31 minute battery.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
16. 4K Hyperlapse
18. Customisable button.
23. Pano added
Great list of features, thanks.

You said '4K Hyperlapse.' I didn't see an option anywhere that looks like it takes a hyperlapse or timelapse. Where is that setting?

Great list of features, thanks.

You said '4K Hyperlapse.' I didn't see an option anywhere that looks like it takes a hyperlapse or timelapse. Where is that setting?
I can't remember exactly where I picked up the 4K Hyperlapse info but this video aimed at the MIni 1 should help

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU