DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 2 Fly Combo Why no propeller guards?

Savings...and the bottom line.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Who Knows, it's DJI, perhaps they figured you didn't need training wheels on your second drone? :p No seriously, the cage of the MM fits the Mini 2 if you need it just grab one off Ebay or similar. They run about $15 :) If it was me I'd get a slimmed down 3rd party version like below.

Attachments

• Prop.jpg
    Prop.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
They are great insurance flying in the forest.house8x6.jpg

This is all I have to fly in.

Have never really used them with any of my drones. I actually forgot I had them.

Although I only used the guards for a few weeks and even allow my 8 year old to fly without them now I found it odd too that with the increased price of the Mini2 combo they actually removed some of the at least perceived value that was found in the MM Fly More. If, for the sake of argument, the $50 increase in the base model was enough to cover the occusync, motor, battery and camera upgrades then how do they justify adding another $50 bump on to the FMC beyond the initial Mini2 price increase while removing the prop guards and changing out a fitted case with a more generic, albeit very nice, bag.

Reactions: Rchawks
Although I only used the guards for a few weeks and even allow my 8 year old to fly without them now I found it odd too that with the increased price of the Mini2 combo they actually removed some of the at least perceived value that was found in the MM Fly More. If, for the sake of argument, the $50 increase in the base model was enough to cover the occusync, motor, battery and camera upgrades then how do they justify adding another $50 bump on to the FMC beyond the initial Mini2 price increase while removing the prop guards and changing out a fitted case with a more generic, albeit very nice, bag.
Indeed... I’m also a little miffed on the change to Type-C connectors. Sure it’s nice not having to orient them but my Mini 1 cables etc. are now useless. How about an adapter DJI

Adapters are easy to get. The micro connectors become problematic over time. You're better off with C.

As for price change, quite frankly the FMC for MM1 was underpriced and cost of batteries went up too so DJI got wise.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Indeed... I’m also a little miffed on the change to Type-C connectors. Sure it’s nice not having to orient them but my Mini 1 cables etc. are now useless. How about an adapter DJI
I think that they really should have had USB C on the MM to be honest. At this point when even cheap phones and tablets are starting to use it AND the charging port on the controller was so easily damaged by a lot of people because of their decision to use a Micro A port instead of the more common Micro B never made sense to me.

They are great insurance flying in the forest.
I'm curious. How many times have you crashed into the trees with the prop guards attached?

I'm curious. How many times have you crashed into the trees with the prop guards attached?
"Crashed" to me is a very subjective term.
As I've written elsewhere I first tried flying inside with prop guards and "bumped" (sometimes fairly hard) into walls on purpose with no visible damage. Later outside I "crashed" into the brick siding and slid down the wall, again no visible damage or apparent internal.
As far as trees I've probably lightly "bumped into" branches dozens of times and did minor pruning but I've not had a major "crash" and got it stuck in the tree type accident YET.
I usually fly in C mode and always VLOS.

Ah, well, a prop guard sounds like a worthwhile investment for you -- or anyone who is often making contact with nearby objects.

Not sure how long you've been flying, but I suspect you'll be able to improve your remote controller skills over time. And for flying indoors (like the average sized house), that's not something I'd recommend most people attempt without prop guards. And even with them attached, it's not much fun since DJI drones were really made for flying outdoors.

Pretty simply why they did not include them. 1) Smaller packaging. Everything fits into the bag and bag fits into box....less shelf space required, shipping, etc. 2) So they can get ya for $19 for a set later...lol. (and they did get me). Most people probably don't even use them anyway.

Who Knows, it's DJI, perhaps they figured you didn't need training wheels on your second drone? :p No seriously, the cage of the MM fits the Mini 2 if you need it just grab one off Ebay or similar. They run about $15 :) If it was me I'd get a slimmed down 3rd party version like below.
Actually the Mini 1's guards will not fit the Mini 2. They made slight change to arms that makes them not attach securely.

I guess an advantage to being new, is I never had them so don’t miss them.

I think I only used the guards for maybe the first month, off and on, while getting my airlegs. I did, however carry them with me for other people, like my kids, to use as they learned how to fly. My big problem with the new fly more combo is the perceived loss in value compared to the MM. Even if the bag is nice its no longer a fitted semi hard case like before and doesn't have the guards. They bumped the base package by $50 to cover the new features and better battery but then bumped the FMC by another $50 while taking away the guards and not offering the fitted case. The loss of the guards should have roughly equaled the increased price of the newer batteries and the case and bag sell for the same price. Sorry for the rant but as I'm all about getting thr most bang for my buck I feel like the Mini 2 missed a step. That extra $50 puts the Mini 2 FMC dangerously close to the MA2 base where I could justify a second one and then share the 5 batteries( i already have 4)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones