DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 2 (just appeared on FCC's site)

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com
The FCC just posted documents here for the MT2PD camera drone (the Mavic Mini 2).

1602002386983.png

1602002390414.png

The same model name appears in a product listing here on the Merlion website:

1602002555405.png

This device supports 1.4 MHz, 3 MHz, 10 MHz, 20 MHz and 40 MHz bandwidth modes.

Is that 40 Mhz a new mode?

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Well great, now I won’t never be able to sell this Mini and get nothing out of it to get a Air2 ?
Sure was hoping to see a 3 next. Oh well ?‍♂️

Wondering whether it will retain its current sub registration weight. If it doesn't then hopefully there will be additional features besides an upgrade to 4K to be included in the MM2. I'd love it to have occusync, follow me, and front/side obstacle avoidance.
Is this what the upcoming DJI product launch on October 14th will preview and debut?

Last edited:
Seems a bit soon to be updating the Mini already??

Well, it seems the Mini has become extremely popular and one of the best selling DJI drones, despite the big uproar about it not having 4K, raw, etc. Even myself have "roared" for those omissions!
But seemingly, the fact that it's less than 250g don't requiring registration and being free from certain regulations in other countries, have contributed to its big popularity and demand, because many people feel less scared of having a drone that doesn't require registration.
However, apparently it's not possible to "add" 4K just with a firmware update to the current Mini, it'll need better/more powerful hardware to do 4K. So the only way to do it is by releasing a Mini 2 with upgraded hardware chipset capable of handling 4K.
I suppose DJI has been aware of the strong worldwide desire (not to say pressure) to have a sub 250g Mini capable of 4K video and some more features. Currently there's NO other sub-250g drone in existence capable of true 4K video with also a 3-axis gimbal. And the bunch of cheap -250g drones recently appearing claiming to have a "4K camera".. none of them actually capture true 4K video! Their "4K" means they only take 4K resolution still photos, NOT video, they only do 1080 video!
Therefore, DJI knows that releasing a new sub-250g Mini with 4K (and maybe RAW and a bit more features) will be a HUGE success and a really big hit! That's why, in my opinion, it seems so important for DJI to release sooner than later an improved Mini 2 with the so-much-requested features like 4K, RAW, etc. I hope it will have all of them!

Seems way too early to upgrade the MA2, right? It just came out 5 months ago.

They'll upgrade the Phantom and Mavic 2 first I suspect.
True, but what if DJI includes just a few of those features I mentioned in the MM2 with a price point somewhere between the current MM and the curremt MA2?
Also. It seems like the MM2 will have a more powerful battery than the MM possibly either for more flight time or else maybe DJI is thinking the FAA will in the near future go.along with some European countries and lower the weight limit here for drone registration thereby no.longer giving the MM's 259 grams the importance it currently has. The MM2's weight could then be increased slightly allowing it to keep its current phydical size while including a few of the features I mentioned. (It would therefore need that larger battery to handle that weight increase.,)

It is worth nothing that the Mini 2 is dual-band and the set of bandwidths is the same as that of MA2. It is possible that there will be a version that runs OcuSync.

Test report for Mini :

MT1SS51905 Mavic Mini Test Report RDG190526002-00B_5G Wifi Report SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY

It only covers 5.8GHz. The set of bandwith is Wifi like :

1602050689306.png

Test reports for Mini 2 :

It covers both the 2.4GHz and 5.8 GHz band. The set of bandwidth is the same as those of MA2 :
1602047647181.png

Test reports for Air 2 :

1602047826462.png

Last edited:
Nice! Can’t wait till October 14th.

Well, it seems the Mini has become extremely popular and one of the best selling DJI drones, despite the big uproar about it not having 4K, raw, etc. Even myself have "roared" for those omissions!
But seemingly, the fact that it's less than 250g don't requiring registration and being free from certain regulations in other countries, have contributed to its big popularity and demand, because many people feel less scared of having a drone that doesn't require registration.
However, apparently it's not possible to "add" 4K just with a firmware update to the current Mini, it'll need better/more powerful hardware to do 4K. So the only way to do it is by releasing a Mini 2 with upgraded hardware chipset capable of handling 4K.
I suppose DJI has been aware of the strong worldwide desire (not to say pressure) to have a sub 250g Mini capable of 4K video and some more features. Currently there's NO other sub-250g drone in existence capable of true 4K video with also a 3-axis gimbal. And the bunch of cheap -250g drones recently appearing claiming to have a "4K camera".. none of them actually capture true 4K video! Their "4K" means they only take 4K resolution still photos, NOT video, they only do 1080 video!
Therefore, DJI knows that releasing a new sub-250g Mini with 4K (and maybe RAW and a bit more features) will be a HUGE success and a really big hit! That's why, in my opinion, it seems so important for DJI to release sooner than later an improved Mini 2 with the so-much-requested features like 4K, RAW, etc. I hope it will have all of them!
I have to add that the reason I bought the Mini was price. I would not have bought anything at all if this price tag had not been about half of any other DJI product. It will be interesting to see how they price the new version.

If it had all of these, who would buy the MA2?
The Mini is amazing, but even with some more of the capabilities of the A2, it's never going to be as stable in the wind or as rugged as the A2, which are important to me. The A2 is plenty small, registration is not an issue for me, and without being built to a particular weight, I find it much easier to handle. I always felt like the Mini was just too delicate, and there was always talk on the forum about how the props would deform if not stored perfectly. I traded my Mini for an A2 within a few weeks, and other than for a backup, I don't think I'd go down that road again.

Last edited:
The A2 is plenty small, registration is not an issue for me, and without being built to a particular weight, I find it much easier to handle.

It’s not the need for registration but the weight which is the more important factor. The new rules which come into force in Europe at the end of the year are less restrictive to drones which weigh under 250g. It would be great if they could significantly upgrade the Mini whilst still keeping the weight under 250g, but I can’t help thinking that this is unlikely.

I use mine once in a blue moon. I am using more my mini for fly for fun when I don't need video or pictures (not critical ones) or indoors flying.

Reactions: Icarus2
It’s not the need for registration but the weight which is the more important factor. The new rules which come into force in Europe at the end of the year are less restrictive to drones which weigh under 250g. It would be great if they could significantly upgrade the Mini whilst still keeping the weight under 250g, but I can’t help thinking that this is unlikely.
I understand that in other countries the weight is more critical. On the other hand, at least in the US, I think many novices think that a drone they don't have to register is exempt from all regulation, and that's a situation dangerous to all of us.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom