DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 2 vs Mavic Air 2

kevinjames123

Reactions
Hello everyone

I got Mavic Mini 2 Combo bundle as a gift.

I was looking into Mavic Air 2. I do have the option to return this Mini 2 and pay additional money to get Air 2 from Costco for $789 that comes with one extra battery and card.

Should I do it or keep the Mini 2 bundle?

One thing i like in Air 2 is the intelligent features like Follow me or Position lock etc.

Please suggest.

I think what everyone is going to ask you is what are your intentions/goals for this drone? fun? professional work? That will help you decide. The mini 2 is a very impressive drone. Some would say with very borderline professional capabilities. I wouldn't let the combo sway your decision. You can acquire batteries and any accessories later on.

Reactions: A.O.
I think what everyone is going to ask you is what are your intentions/goals for this drone? fun? professional work? That will help you decide. The mini 2 is a very impressive drone. Some would say with very borderline professional capabilities. I wouldn't let the combo sway your decision. You can acquire batteries and any accessories later on.
Purely recreational. Fun making videos/taking pictures with kids.

In layman's terms... Air 2 has Intelligent flight modes, which I like a lot...but has FAA registration requirement and higher price. These are the factors I am looking at.

based on that i think the Mini 2 was a good choice then. At that weight you won't need to register it. The second you make a cent with it though you will need to. The MA2 you'll need to register it just to take off.

Purely recreational. Fun making videos/taking pictures with kids.

In layman's terms... Air 2 has Intelligent flight modes, which I like a lot...but has FAA registration requirement and higher price. These are the factors I am looking at.

No biggie on the registration, fill out a form and ay your $5 and you are good for 3 years!

And WELCOME to the forum!!

I say MA2.. but thats me..

No biggie on the registration, fill out a form and ay your $5 and you are good for 3 years!

And WELCOME to the forum!!

I say MA2.. but thats me..
Thank You.

I really like the Intelligent features of the MA2. I haven't used them myself but saw someone using these while running in a park.
Again, pure recreational purpose, are they fun to use?

Thank you very much guys for answering questions.

Regarding the new Remote ID laws, does Air 2 have that capability? does it support the new requirements of transmitting certain data?

OR after 1 year... MA 2 will be a paper weight?

Both drones are obviously good. We've got the Mini 2 as an additional drone for professional work.

The regulations have recently changed here in the UK and more restrictions for most drones will kick in in a couple of years. This will be to the advantage of the Mini 2, which will be largely exempt, because it's under the 250g weight - as DJI know very well.

The P4P+ which we've been using (and still are using) has lots of Intelligent Modes. We rarely use them. The Mini 2 is very easy to fly.

I've heard of people switching one drone for the other and vice versa - which probably says more about today's society than the quality of DJI's products. A South African farmer once said to me "Do you know why people think the grass is greener on the other side? Because that's where people dump their sh**."

If you haven't already started using it, then do so and you'll like what you've already got. It's DJI's newest drone and almost everyone who is using it can't praise it enough. For the low price, it's ridiculously good. On another thread, where I provided a more in-depth comment, I called it a "great drone". And it's so small and light weight.

I should add that the Mini 2 has the five quickshot modes allowing you to film all of your family including yourself - which you probably already know. That's five different options. And if you want to follow your kids from above walking, running, or cycling along - with or without their mum - you can easily do that. You'll get more inventive at capturing those special moments to look back on if you fly the drone manually. Or you can manually fly it to follow you all, which only takes a bit of practice, for when you also want to be in frame.

Thank You.

I really like the Intelligent features of the MA2. I haven't used them myself but saw someone using these while running in a park.
Again, pure recreational purpose, are they fun to use?
I guess, I don't use them much though..

Hello everyone

I was looking into Mavic Air 2. I do have the option to return this Mini 2 and pay additional money to get Air 2 from Costco for $789 that comes with one extra battery and card.

One thing i like in Air 2 is the intelligent features like Follow me or Position lock etc.

Please suggest.
You might find this video interesting. This guy went from the Air 2 to the MM2!

Reactions: GlenM
Thank you very much guys for answering questions.

Regarding the new Remote ID laws, does Air 2 have that capability? does it support the new requirements of transmitting certain data?

OR after 1 year... MA 2 will be a paper weight?
Two and a half.... Maybe.
When you change your props (you know you will) do you want to use a screw driver or twist and lock?
I like the extra sensors.
So for me..... MA2 all the way

Reactions: A.O.
Hello everyone

Please suggest.
I have both, I still can't get over how well the Mini 2 performs high up and far out...

Hello everyone

Please suggest.
Will you really not be able to afford the more expensive Mavic Air 2? Unless your budget is extremely sttressed, you will never regret having a better drone. With the less drone, you will always regret not having bought the Air 2.

In my case, I had a Mavic Air 1 for 2 years and loved using all of the intelligent flight modes. I crashed it and replaced it under Refresh, then sold it as a brand new (e.g.: refurbished by DJI) Mavic Air (telling the buyer everything). The replacement was a Mavic 2 Pro and I have never regretted it.

My best analogy is, "should I take my heavy DSL on a long hike?" I will never remember the weight of the camera on my shoulder but I will always treasure the images I was able to get with that camera. Years later I will still have those images, but not recall the heavy camera.

Reactions: Howard70
Hello everyone

Please suggest.
MM2 is a great drone. I flew for a very short while and decided to upgrade to M2A. I have approximately 90 acres with a 10 acre pond in my back yard and did not want to risk losing my drone to wind, migratory birds and trees throughout the property. If I could've done it all over, I would've bought the MA2 outright.

Will you really not be able to afford the more expensive Mavic Air 2? Unless your budget is extremely sttressed, you will never regret having a better drone. With the less drone, you will always regret not having bought the Air 2.

In my case, I had a Mavic Air 1 for 2 years and loved using all of the intelligent flight modes. I crashed it and replaced it under Refresh, then sold it as a brand new (e.g.: refurbished by DJI) Mavic Air (telling the buyer everything). The replacement was a Mavic 2 Pro and I have never regretted it.

My best analogy is, "should I take my heavy DSL on a long hike?" I will never remember the weight of the camera on my shoulder but I will always treasure the images I was able to get with that camera. Years later I will still have those images, but not recall the heavy camera.
Best analogy to date!

I’m considering doing the exact same thing… Had a flyaway issue with mini 2 and DJI is sending new replacement. I love the mini 2 but would benefit from some features unique to the MA2…so though it would be a good opportunity to sell/upgrade.

May I ask…where did you sell? And since it was as brand new did you sell it around retail price or less? Thx.

I’m considering doing the exact same thing… Had a flyaway issue with mini 2 and DJI is sending new replacement. I love the mini 2 but would benefit from some features unique to the MA2…so though it would be a good opportunity to sell/upgrade.

May I ask…where did you sell? And since it was as brand new did you sell it around retail price or less? Thx.
No problem! I sold it on e-bay when they were still with Pay Pal. A new drone was a going for about $850 at the time so I sold it for $700.00. This was refurbished, so actually a new drone. Luckily, the buyer lived within an hour's drive of me (I live in Miami, and he drove down from Ft. Lauderdale). We agreed on a meeting place (parking lot of a popular store with lots of foot traffic). I let him fly the drone in the parking lot. He was happy and so was I. No shipping, and he got to fly the drone before buying. I took the $700 and used it towards the Mavic 2 Pro, which I got from one of the Mavic Forum vendors who offered a discount for forum members.

No problem! I sold it on e-bay when they were still with Pay Pal. A new drone was a going for about $850 at the time so I sold it for $700.00. This was refurbished, so actually a new drone. Luckily, the buyer lived within an hour's drive of me (I live in Miami, and he drove down from Ft. Lauderdale). We agreed on a meeting place (parking lot of a popular store with lots of foot traffic). I let him fly the drone in the parking lot. He was happy and so was I. No shipping, and he got to fly the drone before buying. I took the $700 and used it towards the Mavic 2 Pro, which I got from one of the Mavic Forum vendors who offered a discount for forum members.
Nice! Hope I can find a similar solution. As a replacement it is a brand new drone as you say but I understand any buyer could have reservations…

Anyway, I lived in North Beach for a few years… Man I wish I had this drone then to capture the many breathtaking seascapes down there.

if you haven’t seen it search for Johnny FPV‘s music video with drone footage from Miami on YouTube sometime. Wow!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11