Aura60

Reactions
Hello,
I come from Germany and would like to make a road trip through the
western USA in summer. I would love to take some nature shots with my
DJI Mavic mini. As a foreign tourist, I got myself an FAA registration
number despite the low weight of the drone (produces the proof of
ownership). Can the Mavic Mini be used as a recreational flyer in the
USA without an aeronautical and safety test?
I hope that someone can answer this question for me, as I have not yet
found a clear answer on the Internet.
I thank you already now for your efforts
Best regards
Peter

Hello,
I come from Germany and would like to make a road trip through the
western USA in summer. I would love to take some nature shots with my
DJI Mavic mini. As a foreign tourist, I got myself an FAA registration
ownership). Can the Mavic Mini be used as a recreational flyer in the
USA without an aeronautical and safety test?
I hope that someone can answer this question for me, as I have not yet
found a clear answer on the Internet.
I thank you already now for your efforts
Best regards
Peter
There is no recreational safety test in the US.
Where in “the west“ do you plan to visit? There are gorgeous places in Southern Nevada and Utah that are good to go for drone photography.

Thanks for the answer. I was referring to this text on the FAA page (Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations):

"The new law also requires:
  1. Drone operators to pass an online aeronautical knowledge and safety test and carry proof of test passage.
  2. The FAA to issue guidance for how it will recognize community based organizations.

The FAA is incrementally rolling out these features and requirements.
Check our website for the latest updates or follow us on social media for the latest news."

We will visit Wyoming, Nevada, Utah and California in July and August. On previous visits I have marvelled at the magnificent nature and this time I really want to take aerial photos. I already have an FAA registration number. I will check allowed or blocked airspace with Airmap and Dronebuddy.
I have a Mavic Pro 2, but for the upcoming trip i bought the Mavic mini because it weighs less than 250 grams. With this I hope that I do not get stress when flying.

Reactions: JAW
The FAA has not yet implemented a test for recreational pilots. All you need is the registration.
I was under the impression that the MM did not require registration due to the weight. Am I wrong?

I was under the impression that the MM did not require registration due to the weight. Am I wrong?

Correct, as long as no mods made like wrap, strobe, or even outdoors with props (only really for indoor use but you never know).

And you don’t / won’t need licensing test etc, just follow the general drone rules to fly from FAA or other relative airspace authority.

Reactions: BigAl07

Under 250gr does not "require" registration.... correct.

Is registration a good idea? YES IMHO.

And the OP said he registered in order to:
I got myself an FAA registration
ownership)

US citizens do not have to register MM. But foreign tourists have to do it, because it is the proof of ownership.
At least that's how I understood the explanations on the FAA website.

Reactions: BigAl07
US citizens do not have to register MM. But foreign tourists have to do it, because it is the proof of ownership.

Can you point to where you are seeing that requirement?

Can you point to where you are seeing that requirement?
It's from here: Information for International UAS Operators in the United States
The relevant wording is:The FAA will consider the certificate issued to be a recognition of ownership rather than a certificate of U.S. aircraft registration.
This is all a technicality because the FAA can't register a foreign owned aircraft.

Since the Mini is below the weight threshold for registration, resistration would not be required regardless of the owner's nationality.

Reactions: sar104
It's from here: Information for International UAS Operators in the United States
The relevant wording is:The FAA will consider the certificate issued to be a recognition of ownership rather than a certificate of U.S. aircraft registration.
This is all a technicality because the FAA can't register a foreign owned aircraft.

Since the Mini is below the weight threshold for registration, resistration would not be required regardless of the owner's nationality.

Right - I saw that. The FAA registration page also states:

* Visiting foreign nationals must register their drone or UAS upon arrival in the United States (online registration serves as a certificate of ownership). Read more about Information for Foreign UAS Operators in the United States.​

That page also clearly states that only drones weighing more than 0.55 lbs should be registered, so I guess it is ambiguous whether visitors need to register to fly smaller drones.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lobodevich