DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC MINI: Anyone modified the shell / colour ?

I've gone to an upmarket auto shop to use scanning technology to best match the matte dark grey that DJI call "obsidian black". I'll paint it this colour to match by Obsidian P4P.

The catch is my drone is under warranty. So, I've instead purchased a second shell, which I will sand, prep and paint and I'll post the results here within a few weeks.

RoOSTA

Reactions: FireAnt and Torque
I would think putting the decal in the wells on the front with the cameras/vision sensors might reflect sunlight into the camera. Obviously this is just a theory but who knows, you could always get matte paint and fill in the spots the 3m decal missed. Also I have found insanely cheap replacements for the hull in case you needed to send for warranty.
ARMS:
HULL:

You can get a full hull set for $29 shipped from China. That way you can paint it off the drone and replace the original and save the original for if you have to send it back to DJI or if you ever sell it..

Ya most use 3m vinyl so you can remove without residue being left. Also it would be technically possible to remove the skin and store it on the original paper then put it back on the drone, however you will most likely need a heat gun to assist the 2nd go around. This can be done with 3m phone wraps so I don’t foresee any issues with drones.

Don't use nail polish without testing on the inside of the plastic shell.
Last time I used nail polish try to paint plastic the solvent in the nail polish actually melted the plastic a little.
My personal experience involves the plastic air vents and door handles of a 1999 Nissan Sentra, and a portable CD player circa 2002, the plastics seem similar enough to warrant caution.
I am not a chemist or materials scientist, but a little investigation can save some heartbreak.

Reactions: FireAnt
That sounds a reasonable idea. I was thinking of using a permanent market - dayglo colour. Has anyone tried markers?
Went to a painters supply shop... its permanent , no taking off possible, just scraping lol.. works fine though... no significant weight change.. improved visibility
happy flying

Pretty close to my MM paint job posted last year. Wasn't really any help in spotting it at a distance; what did you find?

Attachments

• mm.jpg
    mm.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: shaneb50
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members