DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini charging jar?

Does this glass dome come with the Fly More pack for the Mini?
Also, I understood that the mini has Lithium-ion batteries, not Lythium-Polymer. Aren’t they safer?

Reactions: Luca Brazzi
Hi guys
was wondering if anyone would know would i be able to charge a mini's batteries using solar, I'm an avid sea kayaker and the size of the mini looks to be perfect for long haul trips away from civilization.

Hi guys
was wondering if anyone would know would i be able to charge a mini's batteries using solar, I'm an avid sea kayaker and the size of the mini looks to be perfect for long haul trips away from civilization.

Don't see why not, as long as the panel output is sufficient. I plan on using a 20,000 mAh battery bank to charge on the go. You may want to consider that, as the banks can output more amps, and hopefully charge the Mini faster. You can always use the panels to charge the bank.

I would be very impressed if it's got wireless charging. They could make a charging pad where you can fly, land on the pad, let it charge and take off again without needing remove the battery.
I think next big feature would be wireless charging. Have a dome on the roof/cavity of the house where a drone can take off, investigate parameter of the house, then land on charging pad and sleep, waiting for next flight.
The problem with using wireless charging with a drone battery is heat. The way that inductive charging works is pretty much the same way that inductive heating works, just with less heat. Apple killed it's multiple device charging pad because they were unable to get around the heat problem when charging multiple devices. In order to get a charging circuit big enough to charge a mini, it would probably also be able to cook hotdogs.

The last thing you want to do is to heat up a drone battery. My Phantom batteries are always toasty warm after a full flight. You are supposed to wait and let them cool before charging them back up. Wireless charging is probably not a good way to charge those batteries. Also, the batteries would be raised off the platform too high off an induction coil to work effectively or at all.

The bell charging base looks like it has a magnetic micro usb connector and a matching magnetic micro usb dongle that would plug into the Mini. That would give you a connection like the old Macbooks would have.

dongle.png

If you really wanted to be clever (and spend a few bucks), you could design a landing pad that could detect a mini and extend a charging cable with the magnetic cable to the Mini. You would probably have to have some form of a rotating element to get the Mini oriented the right way. Slap some QR code stickers on the legs and the base would identify where the Mni was on the pad, rotating the Mini as needed. Then the arm extends out for a nice snappy magnetic connection. Added bonus: it's still a USB connection and you can do data as well as power.

Is it possible to do? Sure. Would it be wildly expensive? 100%. Would be very cool to own one? Absolutely. Cue the Space: 1999 theme for the build.

Good idea? Probably not. It encourages people to leave a Li-Po battery charging unattended as an ornament.
Maybe the bell is fireproof?

Anyone....

Seriously, I charge a phone 2' from my head every night and have done so for decades. I have tablets all over the house. Powerbanks. Smart Watches. Etc. All of which I plug into a charger and walk away from. Why would this be any different?

Besides, I'm getting the Fly More Combo, I'm never gonna actually charge using the thing anyway. Hahaha! They are charging $70 for it on Amazon!

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams