DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini charging jar?

Wonder if the magnetic charger can stay applied on the MM when flying since it could interfere with the magnetic compass inside the MM.

I bought a magnet cable plus dingle but someone in this forum gave me the suggestion that it could interfere with the compass.
I weighted it with the dongle an the total weight was still under 250 grams.
It was fine to fly but did not try yet far distances yet.
Would like to hear what DJI has to say about this.

There's no compass in the RC itself, but it has magnetic sensors for stick position which could possibly be affected by the USB adapter.
The app uses the compass in your Android/iOS.

Weight of the controller has nothing to do with flight weight of aircraft.

Will the controller last for four batteries?
If you're using an iOS device, most likely as specs say over 4 hours.
If Android, likely not or it will be very close as specs say over an hour. Androids want to charge from the RC which normally can't be prevented.

I saw that bell jar charger and at first I thought it looked pretty cool, but after having the mini for a week I find the battery gets quite warm charging even with stock charger. I dont think that bell jar charger would make things any better, if anything possible runs the battery hotter thus reducing its lifespan.

My LiPos for my other DJI quads charge at room temperature barely getting warm, so I'm possibly looking into getting an aftermarket 6-in-1 charger so my batteries dont run hot whilst charging.

If you're talking about 6 in 1 for Mini, that won't help with warm batteries or if it does, you sacrifice how long it takes to charge them.

It doesn't get that warm though. My phone gets much warmer when it's on rapid charge.

There's no compass in the RC itself, but it has magnetic sensors for stick position which could possibly be affected by the USB adapter.

?

If you're talking about 6 in 1 for Mini, that won't help with warm batteries or if it does, you sacrifice how long it takes to charge them.

It doesn't get that warm though. My phone gets much warmer when it's on rapid charge.
Why wouldn’t it help with warm batteries? The 6in1 chargers are typically parallel chargers so would charge much faster than 3 sequential battery charging that the stock DJI charger. The 2 USB ports would also allow you to charger your phone and RC at the same time.
Ive used the onboard charging on the spark and it would also heat up significantly. Using an external aftermarket charger I can charge at around 2A x 3 batteries and the batteries barely get warm.

But you're talking about the batteries. The batteries presented with same or more current will have same or more warmth.

Indeed parallel charging will get all components charged up faster. That would generate more overall heat though.

Indeed parallel charging will get all components charged up faster. That would generate more overall heat though.
Yes what I'm saying is the batteries themselves (inside the stock charger/drone) heat up quickly due to their proximity to the charging circuit. Since the bell jar charger would be enclosing the drone + battery while charging, it would warm up quite a bit more trapping heat. Parallel chargers do indeed get hot but since they're separated by a short cable to the battery, its only the charger that gets hot (some of the better units are air cooled with a small fan). It may not be so noticeable in the northern hemisphere as you guys are going into a cold winter but we're entering summer now and it was quite noticeable/concerning.

I don't think there's much to generate heat in the AC, besides the battery. I don't think even the hub itself generates heat. It's all likely in the battery and 18W charger.

And it isn't that warm either, even when charging here in Florida.

Dan, he's talking about the magnetic adapter that goes in the aircraft :p

Post 22:
"I bought a magnet cable plus dingle but someone in this forum gave me the suggestion that it could interfere with the compass."

No compass in RC, but could affect stick position sensors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54