DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini class action info speed error

Have you experienced loss of control possibly due to bent blades in storage?

• Yes, I use third party blade storage, blades crossed #2 or similar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I use third party blade storage, blades free, non perpendicular, no case

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Niterunnr

Reactions
I feel the failure of DJI to provide a propeller storage and transport solution with ALL Mavic Mini and Mini 2 is negligence. Drones can be dangerous so proper care and maintenance are a must. I have read plenty of posts about propeller solutions that should not exists because one should have been provided. If you are bending your blades in storage, you are risking a crash.
There are other threads, but I was hoping to get the number of individual cases from this community. If there is a better way than my poll, please share.
Your answer can be changed if you experience as issue later, (hope not).

I have reached out to DJI to request a free propeller storage cover as non was provided with my basic package; they declined on their first reply.
For anyone who says it’s $12, just buy it, exactly, it’s $12 and should have been included with a warning to only store the blades a certain way. This is a travel drone after all. I do find it confusing that the drone is packaged with the blades crossed when DJI recommends not storing them this way.
DJI reply;
“We recommend that you take note of the storage environment of the aircraft, and in particular, protect your propellers from being compressed when storing them in the package. Based on user feedback we have received, the propellers on the rear motors are more likely to be compressed and deformed during storage.”
D01F35CF-47CE-4A55-A548-F3E717A8F008.jpeg

I assume by propeller storage that this is the same as a propeller holder.

The Mini 2 FMC comes with a propeller holder.

The propeller holder should come as a standard and necessary equipment with the purchase of drones.

Define "DJI blade storage device"?

"I do find it confusing that the drone is packaged with the blades crossed when DJI recommends not storing them this way." Cite examples.
It is my understanding that the mini flymore case has changed and that DJI have presumably modified storage instructions as new evidence has come to light so I know only those that arrived with my flymore (blades across the body) which I ignored from the outset.

Are you trying to collect info for a lawsuit?
Not at this time, but I’d like to compel DJI to provide propeller covers for all Minis, not just Fly More.
I assume by propeller storage that this is the same as a propeller holder.

The Mini 2 FMC comes with a propeller holder.

The propeller holder should come as a standard and necessary equipment with the purchase of drones.
You have to read my attached post and photo. The “poll” function splits the question from my post, sorry.
Yes, #1 refers to the holder included in Fly More and should be included as necessary safety equipment.
Define "DJI blade storage device"?

"I do find it confusing that the drone is packaged with the blades crossed when DJI recommends not storing them this way." Cite examples.
It is my understanding that the mini flymore case has changed and that DJI have presumably modified storage instructions as new evidence has come to light so I know only those that arrived with my flymore (blades across the body) which I ignored from the outset.
Same reply, my attached post shows a photo #1 of the DJI branded storage device included in Fly More.
Also in my post is email reply from DJI today.

This is a serious safety issue. Drone pilots are being held responsible for any unsafe practices and manufacturers should be required to do their part.

Reactions: gspell
Not at this time, but I’d like to compel DJI to provide propeller covers for all Minis, not just Fly More.

You have to read my attached post and photo. The “poll” function splits the question from my post, sorry.
Yes, #1 refers to the holder included in Fly More and should be included as necessary safety equipment.

Same reply, my attached post shows a photo #1 of the DJI branded storage device included in Fly More.

This is a serious safety issue. Drone pilots are being held responsible for any unsafe practices and manufacturers should be required to do their part.
You realize that DJI does not have membership nor read the posts in this forum...

You realize that DJI does not have membership nor read the posts in this forum...
With all due respect, you really don’t think they monitor this site and social media for mention of their products? It’s all product research. Anyway, I plan to share what I’ve learned just in case. I sure hope no one gets injured from this or they will have a much bigger mess on their hands. There is no provided way to tell if your blades are bent and when you get the warning, it may be too late.

Last edited:
With all due respect, you really don’t they monitor this site and social media for mention of their products? It’s all product research. Anyway, I plan to share what I’ve learned just in case. I sure hope no one gets injured from this or they will have a much bigger mess on their hands. There is no provided way to tell if your blades are bent and when you get the warning, it may be too late.
Preflight inspection? It isn’t that hard to see if a propellor blade is warped. I have a whole routine of things to check on my aircraft and controller before I liftoff. Much like a preflight checklist for any GA aircraft.
This is a problem with ready to fly packages from all manufacturers. There are no preflight checklists designed by the manufacturer and most consumers have no clue. All the more reason to have a safety knowledge test that needs to be passed before taking to the skies.

I have the MM1 with FMC and used it's case not long after it was released. I don't have a problem with the blades. I do cross the blades across the body. Other ways can lead to the bumps in the case designed to hold the AC in place can compress the body. It is labeled.

I always was concerned about warping my M2 blades in its FMK case so I always removed them from the AC before packing the AC. Seemed like common sense.

Reactions: Flycaster
Preflight inspection? It isn’t that hard to see if a propellor blade is warped. I have a whole routine of things to check on my aircraft and controller before I liftoff. Much like a preflight checklist for any GA aircraft.
This is a problem with ready to fly packages from all manufacturers. There are no preflight checklists designed by the manufacturer and most consumers have no clue. All the more reason to have a safety knowledge test that needs to be passed before taking to the skies.
It’s great to know that you are capable of noticing small deviations in a tiny plastic propeller. This is marketed as an entry level drone and even if it was more advanced, I doubt the majority of pilots would notice a small bend.
I have read threads on this board about uploading motor speed graphs to analyze if you’re having issues, so clearly conscientious pilots aren’t always able to verify by visual inspection. This device is not a normal RC machine that spends it’s time in parks or on tracks. The Mavic series is marketed as capable of flying in FAA controlled airspace and for professional photography in settings which require best practices. Frankly I don’t understand the pushback. The drone should not be sold without this critical storage system only made necessary by the very design of the light weight propellers. Further, DJI shipped the unit with blades placed in such a way that by their own admission, damage can occur. This seems negligent to me.

I have the MM1 with FMC and used it's case not long after it was released. I don't have a problem with the blades. I do cross the blades across the body. Other ways can lead to the bumps in the case designed to hold the AC in place can compress the body. It is labeled.

I always was concerned about warping my M2 blades in its FMK case so I always removed them from the AC before packing the AC. Seemed like common sense.
I heard from one pilot that locktite should be applied each time propeller screws are threaded?
Also the propeller mounts may not be designed for repeated screw threading and unthreading.

With all due respect, you really don’t think they monitor this site and social media for mention of their products?
That's correct, DJI don't monitor this forum.
But they have their own forum.
If you want to reach out to them, do it directly because they won't see whatever you post here.

That's correct, DJI don't monitor this forum.
But they have their own forum.
If you want to reach out to them, do it directly because they won't see whatever you post here.
Top 17 Social Media Monitoring Vendors for Business
SOP
And like I said, I posted here to get hard numbers and warn others before negligence leads to tragedy.
I do appreciate your input though.

This is marketed as an entry level drone and even if it was more advanced, I doubt the majority of pilots would notice a small bend.
This device is not a normal RC machine that spends it’s time in parks or on tracks. The Mavic series is marketed as capable of flying in FAA controlled airspace and for professional photography in settings which require best practices.
So is it an entry level drone or a professional level drone?

So have you experienced trouble from warped blades that you couldn’t tell were warped?

Do you have photos of bad blades in comparison to good blades that prove they indistinguishable?

Have you throughly read the Community Rules of this forum? In particular this part of it:
Manufacturer/Distributor/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This community is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about manufacturers, distributors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and distributors through other means but not through our community.

For the most part, UAS/Drones are the type of purchase where people like to get the essentials and then add their own CUSTOM extras (filters, gimbal locks, blade keepers, rain suits etc). I don't see why you would expect a manufacturer to bow to your whim and include FREE stuff when they are in the market to SELL more items. It's not a design flaw or anything it like that. If it were, you'd see a TON of issues on this very forum about it. As it stands, I think you're just looking for something free.

Also, entry level or not every UAS operator should have a refined Pre-Flight and Post-Flight check list which includes visibly and physically checking ALL props for any damage/deformations etc.

I feel the failure of DJI to provide a propeller storage and transport solution with ALL Mavic Mini and Mini 2 is negligence. Drones can be dangerous so proper care and maintenance are a must. I have read plenty of posts about propeller solutions that should not exists because one should have been provided. If you are bending your blades in storage, you are risking a crash.
There are other threads, but I was hoping to get the number of individual cases from this community. If there is a better way than my poll, please share.
Your answer can be changed if you experience as issue later, (hope not).

I have reached out to DJI to request a free propeller storage cover as non was provided with my basic package; they declined on their first reply.
For anyone who says it’s $12, just buy it, exactly, it’s $12 and should have been included with a warning to only store the blades a certain way. This is a travel drone after all. I do find it confusing that the drone is packaged with the blades crossed when DJI recommends not storing them this way.
DJI reply;
“We recommend that you take note of the storage environment of the aircraft, and in particular, protect your propellers from being compressed when storing them in the package. Based on user feedback we have received, the propellers on the rear motors are more likely to be compressed and deformed during storage.”
View attachment 119442
Yes that happened to my mini I put on new props on the rear and it works fine. I have not folded my mini since changing the props.

In my opinion you are trying to misuse this forum for your own gain

Bingo. I bet the majority of the problems reported are exactly because the PIC did not properly 1) Store the drone. 2) Did not do a thorough inspection prior to flight. I'm not really trying to put the blame, it is a learning game with drones. I did not know to look for these things at first either. I do think sometimes that there should be an actual safety course required before you can purchase one. LOL.

Reactions: Emanáku
To some extent I understand you concern but in truth I think you are wasting your time and ire. The latter could be better spent finding your own solution or adopting one of the many suggested solutions that are out there in the web. (Note I do not believe all of them to be correct)

Bearing in mind that this is
a) a relatively 'cheap' drone,
b) that I am unaware of any crashes or incidents, stemming from warped props, that have resulted in serious injury or death and or law suits,
c) DJI have made modifications to the storage 'system' in attempts to remedy the problem and
d) that other solutions to the storage problem are 'easy', numerous and plastered all over drone forums,
I think a judge would deem such a case as frivilous.

I can see the point of an action if a remedy were beyond the reach of the average flyer and the MM had an otherwise long life expectancy. But my own solution initially involved swinging/storing the rear props pointing forwards under the gimbal cover with a foam plug preventing their 'inswinging' and three other foam blocks as movement limiters for the front props. Ultimately I additionally used a sharp knife to removing some of the flymore case (to give more swing room) and some gaffa tape for cosmetic reasons. Total expenditure maybe £0.05 on glue, the limiters are cut from foam from packaging, the knife I had, and the tape was not a necessity.
See photos

My mini arrived, brand new, with warped props that had been stored across the body and DJI ultimately replaced them under warranty. I never stored them like that again and my 7 month old mini is still on the original replacement props (unless I have replaced them due to nicks and cuts etc.).
There were problems with the initial storage method but solutions are out there and at some point the pilot/owner's responsibility kicks in.
For that matter I would ask two questions,
1) even with the holder that you mark "#1" what supports the front of the drone? Looking at my mini, sat, folded up and bottom down, on a flat surface, the front of the drone rests on the widest parts of the blades and, depending where the blades are pointing, the outer tips of the blades.
2) Does the strap bend the front blades down towards the drone's body and, if applicable, with the front blade tips almost meshing does the bump in the lid of the MM flymore case press on those tips?

Attachments

• mini storage 2.jpg
    mini storage 2.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 41
  • mini storage 1.jpg
    mini storage 1.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 41
  • mini storage 3.jpg
    mini storage 3.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case