DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini completely lost signal, and now I've lost the drone.

Brad Nada

Reactions
Greetings, I was flying my Mini over the riverfront in Austin. All was going well until I got a message that the signal was completely lost. I walked closer and closer to where the drone lost connection, but could not reconnect. It did not return home. Flight data is here:

or

I worry it either crashed, or ran out of batteries and drowned in the river. Could anyone decipher it's last moments in the log file?

Thank you kindly,
Brad

I worry it either crashed, or ran out of batteries and drowned in the river. Could anyone decipher it's last moments in the log file?
You flew behind the Hyatt hotel building which caused the loss of signal.
The building is higher than the RTH height you had set.
The Mini will have hit the SE side of the Hyatt hotel.

Unfortunately that will do it all the time. That is why it is very important to set your return home much higher than anything around you. I always have mine set at 300 feet because I know there’s nothing higher than that around no matter where I go.

Reactions: Clinton1
... I always have mine set at 300 feet because I know there’s nothing higher than that around no matter where I go.
Not a very good strategy to try to shortcut a setting that should be situation & location dependent ... sooner or later you will end up in a situation were you absolutely doesn't want to climb to 300 feet in case of a disconnect.

The RTH height isn't one of the settings you shall consider to be "set & forget" ...

Not a very good strategy to try to shortcut a setting that should be situation & location dependent ... sooner or later you will end up in a situation were you absolutely doesn't want to climb to 300 feet in case of a disconnect.

The RTH height isn't one of the settings you shall consider to be "set & forget" ...
Your last sentence is one of the best pieces of advice I've read on here.

Reactions: JAW and Gindra
Thanks for the replies everyone, extremely helpful. I called the hotel, and security found the drone. It somehow landed safely on the property, without a scratch on it! Maybe it bumped the wall and decided to land, or didn't end up crashing.

Thanks for the replies everyone, extremely helpful. I called the hotel, and security found the drone. It somehow landed safely on the property, without a scratch on it! Maybe it bumped the wall and decided to land, or didn't end up crashing.

Interesting, although I cannot imagine how it avoided collision with the wall given the location and speed at the end of the log file.

If you look at Google Earth you will see that you flew into the Hyatt at about its 8th floor. The pieces of your drone should be scattered about on top of its meeting hall roof unless they blew onto any people in the parking lot below.

Greetings, I was flying my Mini over the riverfront in Austin. All was going well until I got a message that the signal was completely lost. I walked closer and closer to where the drone lost connection, but could not reconnect. It did not return home. Flight data is here:

or

Thank you kindly,
Brad

If you look at Google Earth you will see that you flew into the Hyatt at about its 8th floor. The pieces of your drone should be scattered about on top of its meeting hall roof unless they blew onto any people in the parking lot below.

Except they are not - it was recovered undamaged, apparently after a controlled landing.

The RTH height isn't one of the settings you On my way backshall consider to be "set & forget" ...

it has worked for several years so far. I understand what you’re saying though. Usually on my way back I start my dissent.

Happy ending

For sure, and lucky too some sort of auto landing, rather than crash / fall onto something / someone below.

A get out of jail card @Brad Nada . . . second life for the Mini, and hopefully you learned from this.
The Mini has no OA so a bit more careful pre flight planning is needed, RTH height set each flight perfectly, or simply don't fly near such urban buildings.
It may or not be legal to fly such places, but it's always higher risk with the little mini and signal / wifi interference etc.

Glad security found it, have you been in to collect it yet ?

Reactions: Empiedrone
A little update for those who are interested. Picked up the drone from the hotel today. Cosmetically looks pretty untouched. a couple props were mildly dinged. The battery had popped out and was cracked. It flies completely fine, BUT the gimbal is stuck/getting that error, even though it seems like the camera head is floating just fine. Wonder if it's a connections issue. So it must have indeed smacked something, but not too hard, and then decided to land. Luckily no trees were blocking the path. It was found pretty much where indicated.

Anyways, glad it's back, and seems fixable. Thanks again to everyone!

or

Thank you kindly,
Brad
Glad you found it. Google earth shows its last location as going towards the side of the Hyatt. Minis don't have O.A so these things are an added issue to remember. I know the feeling. Minis are tough little drones and mine has survived a freefall to the ground of around the same height after crashing into the canopy of a very tall tree. Perhaps the trees below broke its fall. Do yourself a big favour and get it thoroughly checked out / serviced as not all damage can be easily detected by the eye. Screenshot 2020-11-19 012331.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000