DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Crash on 2nd flight observations

HRDuke

Reactions
Hello all
I am a pilot in training.....Always trying to learn.
My history is a bit over a years time with a Spark and almost a years time on a phantom 4.
I never got into DJIs flight data because frankly the Airdata just seemed more user friendly and I’ve been able to use it for my Needs to see flight data and learn from it.

I bought 2 Mavic Minis and on first take off....from a corplast launch pad I fly regularly from....day or night....I took off and all seemed fine.
At about 13 mins of flying around....getting the feel of the bird...controller and the new Fly interface the digits of the flight time started going up and down....wide fluctuations never seen in my Spark and Phantom Go interface.....
I turned to return and with no warnings landed on pad.....motors and props felt fine......I put 2 Nd battery in and took off....

at about 10 and a half minutes.....same all over the place digits on flight time remaining.....up and down....

I turned....and it soon started acting like when one hits ignore RTH on a Spark and started dropping in altitude.....no warning I saw on iPad....
by stick I came up.....and down it came.....I repeated this 3 times and got over an open field.....except for the one pine tree it clipped and was caught in the pine needles...

Gps was good...I walked to tree and saw flashing red.....

it took me attempts over 3 days to get to the bird.....and as it was starting to rain I pushed it out of tree with pvc water pipe from top of a ladder that I had to de limb tree just to get that close.

data shows it was at 20 ft......I say about 25....buy biggest issue was diameter of the trees branch system.....and had to horizontally get the flexing pvc out to where I could touch the bird.

camera gimbal was toast when it hit the ground.....I believe the poking pvc pipe or hard fall did that.....

My Fault..... I take responsibility.

Airdata does work with the Mini.....but it took a couple days to show up.....

Both flights show normal all the way out.....at point I got flight time fluctuation...and only after turning around....

Not Enough Force / ESC errors all the way back......

motors and props feel fine.....

I used a second battery ....

unlikely particle in motor issues

I believe a motor or ESC board issue after heating up......remember no outbound errors.....

I don’t expect anything from DJI....if I did it probably would not be worth the effort .......

I took bird apart figuring the moisture indicator would be showing tell tale signs that would void warranty....

I was surprised.....it didn’t....

Anyway my second mini is at a friends looking at possible upgrades .........but that’s another story.....I have informed him of my issues and he hasn’t had a chance to fly yet.

Also of not that within Airdata there are multiple flight time indicators and records.....just this morning I saw inconsistent data there....that comes back to reinforce my observation of fluctuation in the Fly App.

When I get time this will be a good excuse to reading DJI s data logs.....and interpreting them.

Not to be negative....but when I discovered the USA minis were 5.8 only.....I became less than optimistic about the purchases I had made.......In my part of rural Southeast USA.....2.4 is far superior to 5.8.....control and range are about 3 times further here with spark and phantom.....5.8 and trees don’t mix......

why not send it in for a free quote and inspection (hopefully no water damage)

free shipping both ways & you only pay if we fix

just ordered all the part for the MM

Thank You Sir,
Honestly I have no experience in drone repair but have a lifetime career in commercial communications repair.....and some cell phone repair for laughs...

I have taken the craft apart and know repair centers don’t like that. Understandably so.

With possible motor and or board issues I don’t think it’s worth even putting a camera in.....

im glad to know you have parts.

If you don’t mind I’ll contact your business and inquire as to costs of obtaining one. Is there anyone in particular I should ask for ?

Soon after the New Year I’ll start looking for a crashed Mini and maybe play with my first drone job......gotta have something to keep me busy while I’m in a state of figuring out what I want to do in my second career ?

Again thanks for offer to send in.....but with this price bird...and it apart...just not thing to do.

hmm...
this will most definitely help lmk what parts you need (currently being added to the site)

Thank You Sir,
Honestly I have no experience in drone repair but have a lifetime career in commercial communications repair.....and some cell phone repair for laughs...

I have taken the craft apart and know repair centers don’t like that. Understandably so.

With possible motor and or board issues I don’t think it’s worth even putting a camera in.....

im glad to know you have parts.

If you don’t mind I’ll contact your business and inquire as to costs of obtaining one. Is there anyone in particular I should ask for ?

Soon after the New Year I’ll start looking for a crashed Mini and maybe play with my first drone job......gotta have something to keep me busy while I’m in a state of figuring out what I want to do in my second career ?

Again thanks for offer to send in.....but with this price bird...and it apart...just not thing to do.
it is all already available on aliexpress.

front arm assembly is $18 - but i am afraid to pop up the upper plastic shell of MM may be a bit of a problem. but, a replacement is just $10, so, all in all it is the least expensive drone so far, if central motheboard will prove itself resilient to crashes, it is as simple to repair as it can possibly be.
1575053186677.png

PS. they run 20% discount now on this set, and the whole thing shown above is $115 shipped, with a paypal fee.

Last edited:
Wow.....wow wow.....thanks for the heads up......
im in a remote area with almost dial up speed data.....
images are still downloading......

most grateful and looking forward to getting back to so called civilization to go further with the kind responses.