DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Crash on a crane at a height of 80 meters

Patrick Bergeron

Reactions
Hello,

This morning when I flew my Mavic Mini drone, it hit a crane at a height of 80 meters and it broke one of the propellers. Thereafter, this one started a controlled descent at the beginning and in a spin later to crash upside down on the cement. Fortunately, the drone only had as damage a broken propeller, after changing it, it flies again as good as before.
The moral of this adventure is to avoid making the Mavic mini fly backwards because there is no sensor to avoid obstacles on this drone.

you can see a short video of the crash:

Hello,

This morning when I flew my Mavic Mini drone, it hit a crane at a height of 80 meters and it broke one of the propellers. Thereafter, this one started a controlled descent at the beginning and in a spin later to crash upside down on the cement. Fortunately, the drone only had as damage a broken propeller, after changing it, it flies again as good as before.
The moral of this adventure is to avoid making the Mavic mini fly backwards because there is no sensor to avoid obstacles on this drone.

it would not matter which way you flying as there are no obstacle sensors,for crash avoidance,due to the weight of the drone

Hello,

That actually looks like an impressively controlled descent until it hit a tree. It would be interesting to see the DAT log if you still have in on your mobile device.

Think you mean the moral of the story is be aware of your surroundings and don't fly backwards unless you know what's there!

Lucky boy

I'm not sure of the exact wording in other countries, but in the UK there's a 'don't fly within 50m of structures or people not under your control' in the drone legislation. Please be more careful where you fly or you risk your authorities making it more difficult to fly at all.

Obviously it's OK if the crane was on your land of course :)

Lucky boy
Why i posted the lotto ticket.
Guys nobody decided to welcome our new member so i will now as i didn't ether.
Welcome to the forum @Patrick Bergeron .
I also think he gets the message on rules so no need in the continual post on it.
Read guideline #15
Let's try and not run members off with their first post. Like sar said it would be good if he would post the DAT log as that was wild it came down with a broke prop and would like to see what sar see's in that log. :)

Hi Patrick,

From another Montrealer... I noticed the broken prop in the video at around 12 seconds in... to about 16 seconds in. You were lucky that your drone made a soft landing. Not many new users get a second chance to fly the same drone the same day. The learning curve is steep.

Good luck going forward... (no pun intended..:)

Welcome to the forum! You are lucky to get away with just a broken prop. You had some control over the mini in the first part of the decent, why did it then go into a spin? Maybe the prop was fractured in the collision and then final broke completely causing the spin.

One suggestion in that is hard to remember when in a panic, is to point the camera down and you might be able to maneuver to a better landing spot. ie: miss a tree.

Learn as much as you can from this event and enjoy.

Hello,

That was a pretty impressive controlled landing ?
Glad you got your drone back in one piece ??

Hello,

Um ya. No sensors except the bottom. If you cant see it's TRUE course you probably shouldn't fly that way

...Fortunately, the drone only had as damage a broken propeller, after changing it, it flies again as good as before.
Bienvenue to the forum, Patrick. ‘So glad you’ll still be flying and sharing cool videos and lessons-learned with us!

Welcome to the forum.

I too am amazed. Please come back, I want to hear the experts verdict

Well, thanks to the music you managed to turn an unfortunate incident into a really cool video. Nice going!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc