DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini dealbreakers : panos and 360 spheres missing !

Well the Air has no display either on the RC. I've been flying drones for 6+ years (started with the AR Parrot) and never had any use for obstacle avoidance as I've never seen the point of putting obstacles between the drone and myself (not to mention that it's illegal since it's no longer LOS) to get good footage and pictures. I'll say that the screen helped (as in "peace of mind") me once on the MP when the connection was lost between the RC and the smartphone, but again it was more for peace of mind because while it was not within eyesight there were no obstacles.

While I can understand the lack of AT since there is no OA so they don't want idiots to crash their drone during an AT session and then complain, the lack of Panos and Spheres is really petty and will have made them lose at least one sale. On the other hand I'm sure there will be thousand of unsuspecting buyers who will be oblivious to that fact that these great photo modes are missing/exist even on the lowly Spark...and the fact that the YT "reviews" are completely "mum" on the subject won't hurt.

Why wouldn't you use "New Panorama from Video" in ICE? I use that at least once a week and am, generally, very happy with the results. I simply fly my Mavic Pro to where I want the panorama centered and do four 360 degree circles at 90,120, 150 and 180 degree camera tilt angles. As of today, I have done 79 panoramas this way. I just don't see the lack of pano's on the Mavic Mini as a shortcoming.
Because I wasn't aware of that feature! Thanks for the hint!

Hi,
I sold my Spark and ordered the Mavic mini because of the 249g. I plan to travel to canada and then 249g mini seems to be the only legal possibilty to use a drone to take photos.

The specs all seem fine to me, but I can not understand why they left out things like pano, follow me, shutter time for video .
All this is just a software thing and has nothing to do with the size, weigth or price of the drone. I am sure they can switch on any of theses features if the would like to do.

Even with the Spark a lot of features where not avaible. Patched software proved that these modes work fine, they where just switched off in the software.

You can’t have that in anything smaller than a Mavic Pro.
Many FPV builders are putting Occusync/DJI FPV/OA units into sub 3” quads. There are several HD Digital and Analog control/VTX options available and coming to market. You should educate yourself.

Reactions: MaviCam
I actually never use the sphere pano because i don't see the practicality of viewing those, but maybe i'm missing something

the few times i shot a sphere and export the ile on my computer, all i see is a flat image which is pretty useless as per say.

Get PanGazer. It will let you see the panorama as it is meant to be seen. And, best of all, it is FREE. I use panoramas to document hurricane recovery. I do a pano once a week from the same spot(333 feet above ground). The pano gives me a reasonably good view of the state of damage, repair and recovery progress for about 1000 acres.

Here is a link that will point you to PanGazer:

Reactions: KONY
Thank you so much MaviCam, I'll check it out right now :)

Great that it is free

Blows my mind some expect Mavic Pro features in a $399 drone? It is what it is, a relatively inexpensive drone with some features that is either entry level, if that is where you are, or a compact drone for easy take with usage for always carry or for convenient travel.

For me, and I apologize in advance to those of you who have read my same complaint in other threads, the inexcusable omissions are:

1. no control directly from your smartphone. What's the point of being able to put the drone in your pocket if you also have to carry an RC?
2. no gesture control (for the same reason as "1" above. I would have expected Spark functionality - not unreasonable).
3. no follow me / active track

Total deal breaker. These omissions make the Mini a significant step down in usability for purpose from the Spark and a serious step down from the MA. I might consider it an upgrade from a Tello.

Last edited:
Lack of RAW is the only deal breaker for me, I shoot more stills than video and can live with the other shortcomings. Hopefully there will be a firmware upgrade in the future allowing RAW files.

I just read the Mini only has 5.8g frequency for USA. offer 2.4 and 5.8 for EU. Is could be a disappointment as my Anafi gets 2 miles on 2.4 under good conditions but vastly less on 5.8. Perhaps the DJI "enhanced" wifi control is superior, will be interesting to see range reports.
I wonder if the Mini controller can be easily converted to external antennas in the manner of the M2 controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom