DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEWorldPhoto

Reactions
(Update: HERE'S THE LINK TO THE MINI'S 360 PANORAMA, SO YOU CAN FIND IT EASIER).
I have to admit, when the MM was released, I was disappointed that it lacked several advanced features found on higher end Mavics, like RAW, HDR, AEB, Burst, 4K, and automatic panorama modes. A shame, since the Mini is so capable in everything else, has excellent image quality, stable, and very lightweight and portable. If it had those more advanced features, surely it will be a real hit and home run!
Unfortunately, it seems there are some hardware limitations that prevent having those advanced features, as they apparently require more powerful processors that run hotter and require a cooling fan like the other Mavics have, and that will add to the weight and make it impossible to keep the drone's weight under 250g. And even if it's technically possible, maybe DJI doesn't want the Mini to cannibalize sales of higher models like the Air 2, etc.
However.. experts and enthusiasts always find workarounds with limitations, and the MM's capabilities are no exception. Recently Litchi released a Beta app that allows the MM to do a full panorama automatically, like the other Mavics; in this YouTube video somebody tested the Litchi Beta in the MM and did an auto panorama successfully.
BUT.. it's actually possible to do a full 360 panorama manually with the MM, without additional software! Just set the exposure a bit darker (like -1EV), so bright parts of the scene are not overexposed and therefore rendering highlight details unrecoverable. (Unlike overexposure, underexposed -darker- details can be brightened and recovered better). Then, lock the exposure with AE lock, or use manual exposure mode to maintain the same exposure through all the panorama. Now take overlapping shots all around and up & down to the bottom so it covers the entire surroundings like a sphere.
I tested doing a full 360 spherical panorama manually with the MM, and here are the results!
It worked very well, stitched perfectly with very few stitching artifacts that were fixable in editing software, and despite the fact that there was even a good amount of wind, the Mini kept stable enough to not cause stitching problems!
Next up?... how to do an HDR image manually!

Last edited:
Yes, I have to admit, when the MM was released, I was disappointed that it lacked several advanced features found on higher end Mavics, like RAW, HDR, AEB, Burst, 4K, and automatic panorama modes. A shame, since the Mini is so capable in everything else, has excellent image quality, stable, and very lightweight and portable. If it had those more advanced features, surely it will be a real hit and home run!
Unfortunately, it seems there are some hardware limitations that prevent having those advanced features, as they apparently require more powerful processors that run hotter and require a cooling fan like the other Mavics have, and that will add to the weight and make it impossible to keep the drone's weight under 250g. And even if it's technically possible, maybe DJI doesn't want the Mini to cannibalize sales of higher models like the Air 2, etc.
However.. experts and enthusiasts always find workarounds with limitations, and the MM's capabilities are no exception. Recently Litchi released a Beta app that allows the MM to do a full panorama automatically, like the other Mavics; in this YouTube video somebody tested the Litchi Beta in the MM and did an auto panorama successfully.
BUT.. it's actually possible to do a full 360 panorama manually with the MM, without additional software! Just set the exposure a bit darker (like -1EV), so bright parts of the scene are not overexposed and therefore rendering highlight details unrecoverable. (Unlike overexposure, underexposed -darker- details can be brightened and recovered better). Then, lock the exposure with AE lock, or use manual exposure mode to maintain the same exposure through all the panorama. Now take overlapping shots all around and up & down to the bottom so it covers the entire surroundings like a sphere.
I tested doing a full 360 spherical panorama manually with the MM, and here are the results!
It worked very well, stitched perfectly with very few stitching artifacts that were fixable in editing software, and despite the fact that there was even a good amount of wind, the Mini kept stable enough to not cause stitching problems!
Next up?... how to do an HDR image manually!

Holy Moly! That’s insane!!! I hope I can learn how to do that with my mini in the future! Awesome!!

Tried the new Litchi update on my iPhone 7, haven't updated my iPad Pro yet. With the upgrade the pano stitching can handle higher in app file size stitching options (low/med/high) with the iPhone doing up to 90 megapixels in app stitching and the iPad Pro doing up to 220 megapixels. I actual tested the low res 360 degree auto pano using the iPhone 7 indoors in my livingroom! There was a low altitude warning but it did a great job. There are 3 in app options to view - flat/sphere/tiny planet. Impressive program!

Also like the new feature that you can set a C1 custom function using the mini's RTH button with a single press. I set it up to switch speed modes, useful when in Virtual Reality FPV flying with split screen goggles. I can change speeds without removing the phone from the goggles to change speed modes. Now I'm wondering if C2, C3 custom switching is a possibility....

Reactions: raulmavic
Very nicely done!! Congrats. I have tried what I guess would be like 210 or so for a nice pano but not the 360. Yours is great. Good luck with that HDR!!

The HDR is done by manually adjusting exposure compensation to 0EV, -3EV, and +3EV, and taking a shot with each different value. (Or +-2EV). That does the same as the auto AEB (bracketing) setting on the other Mavics. Another method I saw somebody explain in a video online to do HDR is by touching the image in the screen at the darkest, lightest and midtone areas, because when you touch a point in the screen image, it does a "spot metering" and adjusts the entire image exposure according to the brightness of the touched spot. Example- touching a bright area sets the entire image to the correct exposure for that bright spot, meaning the overall image will get darker (underexposed). That method may be faster than adjusting the exposure compensation for each shot.
Of course, if Litchi or any other software adds an automated mode to do that AEB automatically, it'll be awesome!

Tried the new Litchi update on my iPhone 7, haven't updated my iPad Pro yet. With the upgrade the pano stitching can handle higher in app file size stitching options (low/med/high) with the iPhone doing up to 90 megapixels in app stitching and the iPad Pro doing up to 220 megapixels. I actual tested the low res 360 degree auto pano using the iPhone 7 indoors in my livingroom! There was a low altitude warning but it did a great job. There are 3 in app options to view - flat/sphere/tiny planet. Impressive program!

Also like the new feature that you can set a C1 custom function using the mini's RTH button with a single press. I set it up to switch speed modes, useful when in Virtual Reality FPV flying with split screen goggles. I can change speeds without removing the phone from the goggles to change speed modes. Now I'm wondering if C2, C3 custom switching is a possibility....

The video I mentioned (and linked) in my 1st post where the guy is testing the Litchi Beta with the MM and did an auto panorama successfully, also showed that Litchi has options for AEB, HDR, Burst, and some other modes. But none of them could be selected (they were like disabled), except single photo and interval. And those are the only two photo modes that DJI's Fly app has for the Mini.
Did you try to use those advanced photo modes in the new updated version of Litchi you installed and did the auto panorama? Or were they also disabled?

The video I mentioned (and linked) in my 1st post where the guy is testing the Litchi Beta with the MM and did an auto panorama successfully, also showed that Litchi has options for AEB, HDR, Burst, and some other modes. But none of them could be selected (they were like disabled), except single photo and interval. And those are the only two photo modes that DJI's Fly app has for the Mini.
Did you try to use those advanced photo modes in the new updated version of Litchi you installed and did the auto panorama? Or were they also disabled?
Yes, they are not available with the mini. When you go to - Camera Settings> Photo Settings>Capture Mode >>>> you only have two options -1 Shot or Interval. The 1 shot/Burst/AEB/Interval options show up only when mini is not connected, unfortunately they disappear when you spark it up.

Yes, they are not available with the mini. When you go to - Camera Settings> Photo Settings>Capture Mode >>>> you only have two options -1 Shot or Interval. The 1 shot/Burst/AEB/Interval options show up only when mini is not connected, unfortunately they disappear when you spark it up.

So.. it seems, like I said before, that there's a hardware limitation with the Mini. Apparently it doesn't have the processing power needed for advanced modes that require fast continuous bursts of images; it may not have enough "cache" memory to temporarily store image data for intensive processing. That's why it's also unable to process the amount of data required to capture 4K video. This seems to be the case because of the fact that it takes the MM about 2 seconds to process and save an image, and the fastest interval image capture time is also 2 seconds minimum that can be set between shots. Maybe a firmware update may allow it to have some more processing capabilities. Who knows..

Can I do that with my Mavic Pro?

Yes. With the Mavic Pro it's easier to do because the MP has an automatic 360 sphere panorama mode. And you can also take the panorama images in RAW, to get the best possible quality and dynamic range. With the MP you can do better quality panoramas.

Finally I did this HDR with the Mini by taking 5 images at different exposures, ranging from about -2EV to +2EV. Used the exposure compensation button. Here are the HDR's, processed with different software and settings:

DJI_0391 (2).jpgDJI_0389_90_91_92_93_Balancer.jpgDJI_0389_90_91_92_93_Optimizer.jpg

They aligned well, despite some movement variations between shots, as they were taken a few seconds apart due to having to manually change the exposure after each shot. And there was also wind that makes the MM difficult to stay steady!

Reactions: EyesWideShut
In the test beta iOS I'm really liking the new Litchi pano options but have a question. In the Panorama Database, when you view a low res stitched 360 pano the default view is "Flat". You have the option the also build in-app a "Tiny Planet" and to view the regular pano in "View in 360" which loads the sphere. The app viewer shows the pano scrolling and you can control the scrolling - up/down and around and zoom in plus you can toggle the "Control Mode" which gives you total viewing control with your iPhone's orientation. Great viewer! You can also email/save/print etc.

On my iPhone, so far I have been able to save the 360 pano as a jpg and as a Tiny Planet (it's a 29 second/20meg movie and the planet actuals spins). My question is.... how do I get the cool "View in 360" sphere saved and viewed in something other than in Litchi. I have seen somewhere similar jpg panos being converted for the square up/down/and scroll viewing on Instagram but I've never used Instagram. I'm guessing a special viewer is need to display the 360x110 image. Any ideas or links??

Litchi is a great app that has the mini doing things that I never expected it would be capable of.

EDIT: I've been doing some research about viewers for devices and desktop and embedding in a webpage. Have lots of reading to do.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78