DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Dragged away mild wind

Bardia

Reactions
Hi,
My Mavic mini got blown away by a very mild wind (8-9 MPH) and I could not control it until it crashed.
I was trying to fly against the wind full throttle in sport mode..

What is the problem? Any opinions?

Here is the link to my crash's video:

Cheers,
Bardia

Reactions: RayKelly
Would be good if you could upload log files, there are members here who can tell you how strong the wind really was, or if it was something completely different...

If it was that strong, Mini is known for having insufficient power to fight it. I can't say anything else, video is just showing mini going down.

While wind is commonly suspect, in this case the flag in the background tends to corroborate what the OP says. That and it looks like it descended into the ground rather than blew away. Im just guessing, once logs are posted the experts here will know.

For the drone to move backwards in normal flight, the drone reduces thrust to the rear set of props ever so slightly. From what I can tell, you were clear of obstacles and the aircraft maintained a level attitude down to the point of landing.

The logs will lend insight on what happened for sure.

Would be good if you could upload log files, there are members here who can tell you how strong the wind really was, or if it was something completely different...

I tried to land in the last minute but instead of activating the landing mode it just bumped to the ground. Could it be because I was using sport mode?
I am a new DJI pilot so I don't know if landing mode activates when it is in sport mode. :(

Here are the flight logs:

Cheers

I'd really like to see a side profile pictures of the propellers of this Mini. Were you using the prop. guard cage ?

I think you're in for a prop. change.

Well this wasn't a wind issue ... instead again an example of an "uncommanded descent" event with a Mini. The log event stream is full of the typical "Max power load reached" errors ... the pitch doesn't come near the specified in neither P or Sport mode during most of the flight.

In the very end of the flight just after 2 instances of negative throttle the Mini can't cope anymore instead plums down reaching 2,9m/s ... from a low height of just 2,4m.

As said many times before ... this is a major design flaw & as long as DJI doesn't solve it the Mini isn't safe to fly ... if you do you need to be prepared to lose it.

The winds:

1585511175712.png

The Log event stream:

1585511204345.png

And the facts from the log ... markers placed were the uncommanded descent starts:

1585511254658.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
I'd really like to see a side profile pictures of the propellers of this Mini. Were you using the prop. guard cage ?

2 of them broke so I threw them away.
No I was not using any extra payload.
What does cause prob damages? So I can avoid and be more careful from now on :)
I will upload pictures of my props shortly

Attachments

• photo_2020-03-29_21-54-48 (2).jpg
    photo_2020-03-29_21-54-48 (2).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 189
  • photo_2020-03-29_21-54-49 (2).jpg
    photo_2020-03-29_21-54-49 (2).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 183
  • photo_2020-03-29_21-54-49.jpg
    photo_2020-03-29_21-54-49.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 179
  • photo_2020-03-29_21-54-45.jpg
    photo_2020-03-29_21-54-45.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 176
2 of them broke so I threw them away.
No I was not using any extra payload.
What does cause prob damages? So I can avoid and be more careful from now on :)
I will upload pictures of my props shortly
You can't avoid this phenomenon ... it's a design flaw which isn't fully understood nor is the reason proven yet. Your event is only one of many were the Mini can't sustain or reach pitch angles according to spec. due to that the rear motors are at max rpm's. I urge you to open a case with DJI to again make them aware of this ...

Reactions: Bardia
You can't avoid this phenomenon ... it's a design flaw which isn't fully understood nor proven yet. Your event is only one of many were the Mini can't sustain or reach pitch angles according to spec. due to that the rear motors are at max rpm's. I urge you to open a case with DJI to again make them aware of this ...

Sure I will do so.
Thanks a lot for your help.

WOW.... I am appalled by what I am seeing :oops:
You should definitely stop sentencing DESIGN FLAW automatically every time. This is a case of propeller WARP problem...
... Your Mini isn't affected by a design flaw but by flattened propellers. I reckon it's almost a miracle it managed to fly normally before dropping.
Many experienced flyers are appalled to see reports like this coming in every day because DJI released a drone with two fatal design flaws.
Perhaps the propellers are related to the uncommanded descent problem.
If they are, designing propellers that are not safe to fly with is a serious design fault.
No other DJI drone has had these issues.
Whatever is causing the uncommanded descents and failure to maintain pitch/speed, DJI still haven't done anything to fix the problems.

You should definitely stop sentencing DESIGN FLAW automatically every time. This is a case of propeller WARP problem...

I've never seen a single blade as warped as the one in picture 1 photo_2020-03-29_21-54-48 (2).jpg corresponding to the aft starboard side motor (RR). One of the aft port side photo_2020-03-29_21-54-45.jpg is showing a similar warpage, while the other matched blades of the (un)matched pair seem to be better.

The front shown in the 2nd picture photo_2020-03-29_21-54-49 (2).jpg it seems to me not as "fat" as it should be and not twisted upward enough. Small wonder this poor Mini plummeted to ground.

You MUST replace all your propellers before any additional flight. Your Mini isn't affected by a design flaw but by flattened propellers. I reckon it's almost a miracle it managed to fly normally before dropping.

The problem with the propeller theory is that I've seen people experience uncommanded descent events, saved the drone & didn't understand what actually happened & flew days later without problems ... either this with the props only are part of the problem or that they are deformed only to the verge of not being able to sustain pitch/lift ... or something else.

But this is definitely a design flaw ...

Further more @m80116 ... to diagnose those props from those pictures is impossible I would say, but I agree that a prop change should be done ... but as we have seen before ... the problem will come back.

Last edited:

I've never seen a single blade as warped as the one in picture 1 photo_2020-03-29_21-54-48 (2).jpg corresponding to the aft starboard side motor (RR). One of the aft port side photo_2020-03-29_21-54-45.jpg is showing a similar warpage, while the other matched blades of the (un)matched pair seem to be better.

The front shown in the 2nd picture photo_2020-03-29_21-54-49 (2).jpg it seems to me not as "fat" as it should be and not twisted upward enough. Small wonder this poor Mini plummeted to ground.

You MUST replace all your propellers before any additional flight. Your Mini isn't affected by a design flaw but by flattened propellers. I reckon it's almost a miracle it managed to fly normally before dropping.
Be careful here ... I think you may be letting an optical illusion push your opinion. The 'shape' of the prop blades shown in the four photos in post # 11 are correct and not warped at all. It is a strange angle to look at them in comparison to the usual top-down view that you see in advertising photo's - But - the blade is 'classic' in that it's showing a course pitch-angle at the hub end, and that reduces out to the tip. Also, take into consideration the angle of the fuselage of the MM as it is held for the photo. That shows the direction that we are looking across the blades. The way the blade changes its 'width' from hub to tip is also classic. Take a prop off your own Mavic and look at it from the same angles, I'm sure you'll see similar shapes ...

I think the main problem was wind speed, from the log there seem to be a lot of high wind warnings. I have had a mavic 2 pro drone get carried away , when the wind at ground level was less 5 mph, when it got higher the gusts must have been 40mph at 100ft

I think the main problem was wind speed, from the log there seem to be a lot of high wind warnings. I have had a mavic 2 pro drone get carried away , when the wind at ground level was less 5 mph, when it got higher the gusts must have been 40mph at 100ft
My thoughts too ... There have been so many 'new' drone users been caught out by them not realising that the wind-speed at ground level, is nothing like the wind-speed a few hundred feet up!

my advice is to do hove tests ,
1 take off and watch for excessive drift
2 go to 10ft and do the same
3 30ft
4 50ft
then 70ft
fly at a level that the drone is not draft and that is safe, just be careful

Don't think all the wind warnings in the log event stream mean high winds in this case ... the AC haven't a anemometer installed, it out from other data make the assumption that wind is affecting it ... if that data is wrong or confusing like going max RPM's on rear but not reaching anything near the specified pitch that could be interpreted as strong winds. Note that the first wind warning already is triggered at 44sec with an height of 25 feet.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu