DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini FCC Canada- No 2.4 and Poor range

Kilerpl

Reactions
Hi Everyone
I am new here. I am relatively new to DJI. I had spark and recently i purchased new MM.I bought it in Canada and i see on the remote it says its FCC version however my range is pretty bad for what its claimed. I am getting max 700m (2100ft) in unobstructed area.
I've noticed when I try to change channels manually I only have 4 channels available and they are all in 5.8 Ghz.
Is Canadian Version missing 2.4 or did I get defective drone ? also I was thinking FCC versions suppose to have more channels than this.
Thanks in advance for your help

Attachments

• channels2.jpeg
    channels2.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 42
  • channels1.jpeg
    channels1.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 39
Western Canada welcomes you. We might be neighbors, or 3000 miles apart. Can't tell from your ID.

The North American flight controller has only the one frequency, 5.8g but it is a higher power transmitter and is capable of much more range than the CE European controller that can switch between 5.8 and 2.4, but is more limited in range.

Leaving it on AUTO probably works best but if you want, go to manual and choose a lower frequency channel with the shorter bars. Make sure the flat side of the antennas are pointed at the mini, not the tips at the AC and there is a good LOS (line of sight) and no trees, buildings in the way.

Hope that helps, fly safe and enjoy.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Western Canada welcomes you. The North American flight controller has only the one frequency, 5.8g but it is a higher power transmitter and is capable of much more range than the CE European controller that can switch between 5.8 and 2.4, but is more limited in range.

Leaving it on AUTO probably works best but if you want, go to manual and choose a lower frequency channel with the shorter bars. Make sure the flat side of the antennas are pointed at the mini, not the tips at the AC and there is a good LOS (line of sight) and no trees, buildings in the way.

Hope that helps, fly safe and enjoy.
Thanks for quick reply. I am from Ontario. You have way nicer places to fly than me ;).
Antennas are pointed properly. I fly with my friend who has been flying for many years and he is getting double the range at same location when he flies spark.
Is it normal for Canadian version to only have 4 channels available ? ( picture)

Last edited:
Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Hi, Maple Ridge BC here, 4 Channels only for me, going to film high water issues today.
Thanks for reply. I still don't know if max 700m is normal or should i be asking for warranty exchange. I'll try to connect it to tablet tomorrow to see if there is any improvement
DJI_0013.JPG

Put your device into "airplane" mode and take off the smart watch, see if this helps

you need this sort of location and conditions for longer range

You could also try some cheap boosters - 6 pole for 5.8ghz systems

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. I still don't know if max 700m is normal or should i be asking for warranty exchange. I'll try to connect it to tablet tomorrow to see if there is any improvement
View attachment 106092
Hi, if the photo you're showing above is of the area where you're getting a limited distance, it's full of trees, not open fields or an "unobstructed area" all the way from you to the mini. As I mentioned earlier you might not have perfect line of sight. As you can't see the mini at 700 meters, the angle now from you to it might be lower than you think and the mini might now be slightly hidden behind a tree that is 100 meters or whatever from you and blocking some of the signal

I don't understand you saying you'll "try to connect to tablet tomorrow". The display device has nothing to do with the video and data connection and distance range. It's between the AC and controller and a clear Line of Sight between them.

Put your device into "airplane" mode and take off the smart watch
usually i turn off my smart watch and phones blutooth
Hi, if the photo you're showing above is of the area where you're getting a limited distance, it's full of trees, not open fields or an "unobstructed area" all the way from you to the mini. As I mentioned earlier you might not have perfect line of sight. As you can't see the mini at 700 meters, the angle now from you to it might be lower than you think and the mini might now be slightly hidden behind a tree that is 100 meters or whatever from you and blocking some of the signal

I don't understand you saying you'll "try to connect to tablet tomorrow". The display device has nothing to do with the video and data connection and distance range. It's between the AC and controller and a clear Line of Sight between them.
hi
I was thinking that there might be some kind of compatibility issue with either my phone or android as my friend ad same location using spark and old iphone is getting 1.5km.
My old ipad os is not compatible with fly app so i won't be trying it anyways. I'll try airplane mode and report back.

ok I've tried switching on airplane mode turning off my other phone and watch and i did see some improvements.
900m to video cut off and 1200m with antenna booster. Flying over some trees but i took off from large empty field and kept it at 100m to clear as many trees as i could.
Not what i was expecting from it but i guess its acceptable for its price range.
Thanks all for feedback .

ok I've tried switching on airplane mode turning off my other phone and watch and i did see some improvements.
900m to video cut off and 1200m with antenna booster. Flying over some trees but i took off from large empty field and kept it at 100m to clear as many trees as i could.
Not what i was expecting from it but i guess its acceptable for its price range.

I.2km on 5.8ghz is pretty good.

Were you using the 5.8ghz Yagi Extenders, they might give you another km ?

I.2km on 5.8ghz is pretty good.

Were you using the 5.8ghz Yagi Extenders, they might give you another km ?

I used regular reflective range extender as yagis were unavailable on Canadian amazon so I ordered pair from China (5.8 version )but it will take at least 3 months before I'll get it If I'll get it. Recently none of shipments arrives from there

Last edited:
Lucky you, I lose video transmission at 300 ft, airplane mode on, unobstructed direct LOS. This thing is getting extremely frustrating and ruins my video smooth controls.

I'm pretty sure these will require a remote controller modification that can't be reversed, as you often damage the OEM antennas when you pry them out.
Also the FCC Mini remote controller uses a 5.8ghz signal and these transmit at 2.4ghz which is not compatible.

I'd try something cheaper like the 5.8ghz yagis, as these just slip on the OEM antennas, making them easy to remove.

You must be in a wifi congested area, look for towers that could be carrying wireless internet. I have one near me I get 1.6 KM if I fly near it, half a km to the side of it and I flew out 5.5 KM on bone stock mini. Also at what height are you flying ?

Reactions: Ace.7 and Kilerpl
I used regular reflective range extender as yagis were unavailable on Canadian amazon so I ordered pair from China (5.8 version )but it will take at least 3 months before I'll get it If I'll get it. Recently none of shipments arrives from there

try these and you can test them tommorow: 5.8Ghz antennas template

also, regarding range, have a look at this: Freznel Zone

enjoy

You must be in a wifi congested area, look for towers that could be carrying wireless internet. I have one near me I get 1.6 KM if I fly near it, half a km to the side of it and I flew out 5.5 KM on bone stock mini. Also at what height are you flying ?
Yea I was and mm is very sensitive to it. In the end i did get 4.1 km flying with reflective range extenders but only in the middle of farm lands with no trees for first 1km of flight.
I sold my mm and ordered ma2. Thanks everyone for replies

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000