DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini High Altitude Operation

Did you record the temperature?
I did not record temp but it was likely in the 20 to 30*F range. Recently flew higher at over 11,200’’ (3,400 meters) on a back country ski trip. One flight was 14min long zipping around in S and P modes. Landed with 28% battery. Temps were in the teens. In cold temps I always keep my batteries in an inside coat pocket until I’m ready to fly. Also saw 27mph as a peak speed and no weird dropping out of the sky issues. Only real performance issue is slightly shorter battery life.9119ED73-B4D9-4ED1-A3AC-BDD9930CF725.jpeg

Last edited:
I did not record temp but it was likely in the 20 to 30*F range. Recently flew higher at over 11,200’’ (3,400 meters) on a back country ski trip. One flight was 14min long zipping around in S and P modes. Landed with 28% battery. Temps were in the teens. In cold temps I always keep my batteries in an inside coat pocket until I’m ready to fly. Also saw 27mph as a peak speed and no weird dropping out of the sky issues. Only real performance issue is slightly shorter battery life.View attachment 94468
Cool! Thank you! I’ve flown my mini once at 20°F and a hand full of time around 25°-28°F all flight were around 15-17mins.

So, I went to Japan, but the stores hadn't received their inventory of spare batteries yet. They were all due a few weeks after I left.
Still, if I have a friend going or make an unexpected trip there, I get some and let you guys know how it goes.
It sounds like, with the subsequent firmware updates since I last flew mine at altitude, the mini is doing better, but I haven't had the chance to try my again yet.
Will let you all know when I do.
Thanks for the discussion.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Ordered the Mini Flymore package yesterday. Most operations will be in between 8000' and 10,500'. But I'd really like to be able to operate at 11,000' - 11,500'. I live close to 8000' in Colorado. Budget is also limited, the Mini is my budget.

Apparently the batteries sold in Japan may be somewhat lighter? Plus there is a recent firmware upgrade available. I looked for high altitude propellers - they were only available for high end drones from what I gathered.

It would not be too difficult for Mavic to alter the pitch on after market blades - for higher altitude operations. Either that or enable a stronger battery and higher RPM's. Any word on plans for either?

Did a short test flight this weekend at 12,000ft (3600m) . Winds were light, but the mini seemed to being having more trouble hovering in place compared to lowered altitudes so I brought it back down after just a couple minutes. Hope that someone produces higher pitch props at some point for high altitude operations, in the mean time I think I'll stick to lower altitudes.

IMG_6635.jpg
IMG_6636.jpg

Encouraging to see flight at 12,000' though. Anybody know if batteries sold through Japan are indeed lighter - as rumored?

Seems like changing the pitch angle would be so easy. A talented do it your-selfer might be able to get it done while maintaining stability - with the right equipment.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Flew my Mini off the top of a peak I had landed my helicopter on. The temperature was 8F, and altitude 8,374'.l, it flew perfectly, and I would feel comfortable taking it much higher. I only climbed up about 300' above my takeoff altitude, so really not too high, but it was a total nonevent.

With all the cheap parts readily available from Chinaware sources I wouldn't mind too much sourcing a set of props to modify as a high pitch set.

It was one of my original projects for the Mini... probably destined to be used later on during its life as I plan to change the original prop set after determined set of hours.

Last Thursday (June 11, 2020) I drove up to the Mogollon Rim and flew at 7500 feet MSL (2286 meters) with winds 10 to 15 mph and temperature 82 degrees fahrenheit (27.8 degrees celsius). I did get a "high wind" warning and a "high altitude...fly with caution" warning, along with the altitude warning that "aircraft braking distance is increased..." - but the Mini flew well. One time (only) did I have trouble with the wind at 200' altitude (above ground level).
I couldn't see a significant difference in flight characteristics at 7500' compared to my usual 2000' to 5000'. I haven't flown the Mini at Sea Level.
?I've only had the MM about a month, so I might only notice larger differences... Small differences might not catch my attention.
BTW, I tried hand launches and ground launches, and hand landings and ground landings. All good.Screenshot_20200611-114126.png
Here's a screen shot of the altitude. Location anyone?

@SW_Drone_Guy a neck strap is a very nice addition if you hand-launch and land.

I do and I've come to the conclusion it is by far the best and safest method of putting and retrieve the Mini from air :) at least for me (no chopped fingers until now).
Also I have my method... it's very unlikely I chop my finger, rather I could get a bruise on my lower fingertips as they seat quite close to the rear props while the Mini is sat atop the palm of my hand.

@SW_Drone_Guy a neck strap is a very nice addition if you hand-launch and land.

Thanks m80116,
I've been thinking of a lanyard. I think I'll start a thread asking what type of lanyard, or neck strap, people use, where they got it, and how theirs attaches... I'm interested in the Mini, of course...
I only got my fingers chopped once. So far. And it hurts! :mad:

Last Thursday (June 11, 2020) I drove up to the Mogollon Rim and flew at 7500 feet MSL (2286 meters) with winds 10 to 15 mph and temperature 82 degrees fahrenheit (27.8 degrees celsius). I did get a "high wind" warning and a "high altitude...fly with caution" warning, along with the altitude warning that "aircraft braking distance is increased..." - but the Mini flew well. One time (only) did I have trouble with the wind at 200' altitude (above ground level).
I couldn't see a significant difference in flight characteristics at 7500' compared to my usual 2000' to 5000'. I haven't flown the Mini at Sea Level.
?I've only had the MM about a month, so I might only notice larger differences... Small differences might not catch my attention.
BTW, I tried hand launches and ground launches, and hand landings and ground landings. All good.View attachment 104756
Here's a screen shot of the altitude. Location anyone?

lat-long.jpg

Today I was at around 2100 mt, no strong wind, at around 8 mt above the ground and it went down by itself...fortunately on the grass. I had in the same flight 2km over a lake way higher and it was all ok. Same as the video.
then I started again (without turning off and on) and it did it again.
Then I tried once more, and I got the warning of extra payload limit...so I landed (hand catch) and put it in the bag :)
It never happened before, and actually yesterday I used in a different mountain with same condition...
I need to try again somewhere else, but it seems that altitude is doing something..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2