DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini High Altitude Operation

Hello everyone,
I live in Taiwan, where I'm a mountain guide. I bought the mini to take on hikes into the high mountains and fly when I have some spare time. I had my first hike with it a few days ago and am extremely disappointed that it's basically unusable over 2,000m (6,500ft). I had it at 2,500 and 3,000m and it would fly for a little while, then just suddenly nose dive. I stupidly kept trying, thinking that each time it did it was an isolated incident, but it eventually crashed itself into the side of the mountain.
Anyone looking to fly it over 2,000m won't have a drone for very long. Luckily I recovered mine and it still works, but there's no way I'd fly it again at that altitude until I figure out a solution.
Does anyone know anything that might help? Bigger propellers? Some kind of power hack?

• Sad
Reactions: Emanáku and m80116
Hello everyone,
I live in Taiwan, where I'm a mountain guide. I bought the mini to take on hikes into the high mountains and fly when I have some spare time. I had my first hike with it a few days ago and am extremely disappointed that it's basically unusable over 2,000m (6,500ft). I had it at 2,500 and 3,000m and it would fly for a little while, then just suddenly nose dive. I stupidly kept trying, thinking that each time it did it was an isolated incident, but it eventually crashed itself into the side of the mountain.
Anyone looking to fly it over 2,000m won't have a drone for very long. Luckily I recovered mine and it still works, but there's no way I'd fly it again at that altitude until I figure out a solution.
Does anyone know anything that might help? Bigger propellers? Some kind of power hack?
Did it have the most up to date firmware installed, as I understand there was a modification for high altitude flying recently.

Reactions: Emanáku
Did it have the most up to date firmware installed, as I understand there was a modification for high altitude flying recently.
No, I actually found that after I posted this. I've downloaded the update, but won't have the opportunity to fly it again at that height for a few weeks.

So has anyone actually launched above 3000 meters yet? I do most of my flying in the mountains and if the software won’t let you take off when you’re above 3000 meters then I guess I have a mini for sale.

So has anyone actually launched above 3000 meters yet? I do most of my flying in the mountains and if the software won’t let you take off when you’re above 3000 meters then I guess I have a mini for sale.

None of the other DJI models have a hard ceiling - it's just a guideline above which (presumably) an arbitrary reduction in performance (motor thrust) is reached. There will, of course, be an altitude at which the air density is so low that maximum thrust is less than the weight of the aircraft, but that's going to be much higher.

Hi Guys, i recently bought mavic mini, couple days ago. My friend called me to film short video but its a little mountain, it have 1079m height. Can i climb with mini there and put the drone in the air? If its no windy, just wondering because air density etc

I'm a complete rookie so take my advice with a bucket full of grains of salt, but I'm certain I read that orienting the flat, long edge of the antennas to be facing the drone improves reception markedly, along with having the antennas parallel with each other.
You read the manual, you are not a rookie for long.

Hi Guys, i recently bought mavic mini, couple days ago. My friend called me to film short video but its a little mountain, it have 1079m height. Can i climb with mini there and put the drone in the air? If its no windy, just wondering because air density etc
Yes. Climbing will work. Max altitude is from TO point... always zero. Another option may be to land at a higher point and TO again after 30 seconds or so... worked with my M2P.

Reactions: puksion
Hello

My own experience. I am currently enjoying vacations at about 2000m altitude. Very quickly after starting my Mavic Mini, I got a message in DJ Fly app stating that I have an additionnal payload and that the drone will be limited to a maximum distance of 100m... That's quite annoying!
I guess that the drone is thinking that I add a payload due to a lower air density at 2000m altitude...bu thanks to the GPS it should realize it...

Would be good to have an option to block this extra payload mode...

I’m hoping I can answer the above 3,000 meters take off question next Wed. I’m expecting my new Mini on Tuesday and will be up on the Grand Mesa in CO at 10,000’ for a Classic Ski on New Year’s Day.

I’m hoping I can answer the above 3,000 meters take off question next Wed. I’m expecting my new Mini on Tuesday and will be up on the Grand Mesa in CO at 10,000’ for a Classic Ski on New Year’s Day.
Be careful in ski resorts, they are privately owned, I got told to ground my Mavic Air in Andorra last year by ski patrol

We will be on National Forest cross country skiing and not at a resort. Most CO resorts have lots of No Drones signs. I’m really hoping to take this little guy back country skiing and a true 3,000m take off limit would be an issue in CO.

Ok, so a little delayed in answering the altitude question. My Mini showed up a little over a week ago and I’ve gotten half a dozen or so batteries worth of air time. Had a Pro before the Mini so I wanted some time to build some confidence in this little digital buzz fly. Got in a brief test flight on the Grand Mesa in CO today. Here is the low down (high up?):
  • Altitude 10,800 ft (3,292 meters)
  • Started up app and connected to Mini
  • Mini in P mode
  • Warnings (see screen captures)
  • CSC command to start motors and I get the “Accept” risk pop up for high altitude flight
  • Full up throttle and motors will not speed up past idle and eventually shut down
  • Powered drone off and restarted it and connected to Fly App
  • Switched to S mode and was able to hand launch with out issue and no additional accept risk pop ups
  • Short full stick flying low, close and fast
  • Seemed to fly about the same as at 5000’
  • Landed with hand catch
  • Switched to C mode and was able to take off with out issue
  • Landed again with hand catch
  • Switched to P mode and was able to take off again with out issue
  • Cycled through modes with no issue
495AF9DF-0B42-43E1-B254-D2FC583D2C0F.png

2D8274D1-DE58-42CD-B69C-4760B08DF0CC.png

Conclusion: At altitude you get warnings that need to be heeded but the bird will fly. Next time I’ll gauge top speed in Sport mode to better understand performance limitations above 3000m. I have backcountry ski trips coming up and plan to have the Mini in the pack. I certainly wont be pushing battery life or distance on these outings.

Last edited:
I flew the mini at an altitude of 4500 m in North India Ladakh with temp of - 23 °C. No jitter only it likes to sink a bit, battery 10 min till empty. Several warnings for altitude and temp but further perfect.

Ok, so a little delayed in answering the altitude question. My Mini showed up a little over a week ago and I’ve gotten half a dozen or so batteries worth of air time. Had a Pro before the Mini so I wanted some time to build some confidence in this little digital buzz fly. Got in a brief test flight on the Grand Mesa in CO today. Here is the low down (high up?):
  • Altitude 10,800 ft (3,292 meters)
  • Started up app and connected to Mini
  • Mini in P mode
  • Warnings (see screen captures)
  • CSC command to start motors and I get the “Accept” risk pop up for high altitude flight
  • Full up throttle and motors will not speed up past idle and eventually shut down
  • Powered drone off and restarted it and connected to Fly App
  • Switched to S mode and was able to hand launch with out issue and no additional accept risk pop ups
  • Short full stick flying low, close and fast
  • Seemed to fly about the same as at 5000’
  • Landed with hand catch
  • Switched to C mode and was able to take off with out issue
  • Landed again with hand catch
  • Switched to P mode and was able to take off again with out issue
  • Cycled through modes with no issue
View attachment 90546

View attachment 90547

Conclusion: At altitude you get warnings that need to be heeded but the bird will fly. Next time I’ll gauge top speed in Sport mode to better understand performance limitations above 3000m. I have backcountry ski trips coming up and plan to have the Mini in the pack. I certainly wont be pushing battery life or distance on these outings.
Did you record the temperature?

For people on the US, 4500 is about 17000 feet. There was only a little bit of wind. I got jitter at lower altitude when fying sport mode, but in c mode no problem with that. Extra payload and quickly empty battery, but with three batteries each ten minutes I am happy.

For people on the US, 4500 is about 17000 feet. There was only a little bit of wind. I got jitter at lower altitude when fying sport mode, but in c mode no problem with that. Extra payload and quickly empty battery, but with three batteries each ten minutes I am happy.
Oh yes location was Tsomoriri lake near Tibetan border.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078